Battery failure

spospe

My starter battery has just failed, OK last trip out two weeks ago, will not start engine at all now. The van is an Auto-Sleeper Warwick Duo of 2014 (Euro 5) vintage. To change the battery, do I just disconnect the old, remove and replace with the new?

Any special actions to take, such as leaving the battery disconnected for half-an-hour, or is it just out with told and in with the new?

First post on the new Forum, seems an improvement. 

I don’t know the specific vehicle so in the absence of an authoritive answer I’d play safe by opening the bonnet, closing all the car doors and then waiting ten minutes to allow the ECU time to shut down and write its last settings to memory. Then I’d change the battery and should be good to go.

Incidentally, if you’re fitting a new battery and you have a battery charger I’d suggest you put it on charge before fitting so that you start off will a fully charged battery.

As Colin says,  I too think there may be a 'correct' procedure, but I too don't recall what it is - sorry - the handbook should tell you.

When the battery failed on our Warwick (Peugeot Boxer 2.2 hdi) all I did was disconnect the leisure battery before just changing the engine battery in the usual way.

Maybe I was lucky - I don't know - but we had no further probems.

Check you owners manual . It will give you the procedure you need 

I take it's not a Sprinter

Hopefully you have you radio code,

Make sure after the  battery disconnection you leave for 15 minutes before re connection of the new battery and leave the doors closed .If you need to re set your electric windows Just operate both buttons to close and hold closed for a sec, 

Regards

Battery changed successfully by  following BruceM and Tracker's advice. There was no problem with the radio code at all, as it was not asked for on reconnecting the battery. The most difficult bit was lifting the old battery out and lowering the new one into place (it weighs 26 kg).

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Archived