Fuel Problems in France

ColinM50

Don't know if you're aware, but for anybody travelling to or through France, there's a major strike affecting fuel deliveries. Some/a lot of garages are closed with no fuel and others, the few who have fuel are restriciting sales to people paying using a FRENCH credit card only.

Fortunately this isn't a wildly busy time for travelling, but if you are going, then fill up before you travel and maybe look at taking a few jerrycans? Maybe not 100% legal esp on the tunnel but.................

As we know thee French communist unions do like a good strike so guess you could be stuck there for weeks.

I was hoping to go on Tuesday for a couple of weeks but this isnt looking at all good though I could still go but not traveling too far or not for so long is an option of course. I could of course go to Belgium and bit of Germany which would make a change so will have to give it all some thought. Thanks for bringing his to my attention Colin.

No idea how long it will last , but it’s been reported to be far more of a problem in the North & East.  There have been reports that garages away from main trunk routes are a better bet.

The French government are pressuring Total to settle out of their enormous profits, having already tried to force workers at one refinery to return to work, which just exacerbated things, not surprisingly. Tuesday may not be a good day to travel - apparently there is a multi sector strike planned.

Spoke to my niece who lives in Bergerac this morning and she tells me its long queues at all stations and it is a problem all over France and NOT just the north!! She sees no end to it at the moment and even when it does it will take weeks to return to normal. I have decided go not go and as I go nowhere in this country I will have to wait until next year in the spring.

2 hours ago, GandJP said:

I only picked up my newish van last week so not even used it yet. As to the MH show, been a few times over the years but I have no need to anymore, nothing for me to see or buy. 

Why not venture out a little and cross the border into Germany instead? Too many Brits in France anyway! 😃

Currently in France, now at the Aire in Ouistreham with a full tank, noticed around Potiers that supermarket station pumps were empty, and at one station with fuel they wouldn't accept either my debit or credit card from different banks, so perhaps they were only accepting French cards? The motorways were quiet today but there were still queues at the pumps, I guess people were stocking up as they know the Communist unions hell bent on doing Putins bidding just as ours are.

5 hours ago, Bulletguy said:

Why not venture out a little and cross the border into Germany instead? Too many Brits in France anyway! 😃

The trouble is that the weather is set to be wet most of the fortnight and the south end of France is to be far drier and the one thing in going this late is to see some autumn colour which is much nicer in the dry. Sadly for us we will stay at home.

46 minutes ago, GandJP said:

The trouble is that the weather is set to be wet most of the fortnight and the south end of France is to be far drier and the one thing in going this late is to see some autumn colour which is much nicer in the dry. Sadly for us we will stay at home.

A wise call I'd say, we started to worry a bit at Potiers, as I'm one of those who likes to fill up when his tank is half full, I got down to a quarter before I found fuel, by the time I'd filled up I had a queue behind me! I think the strike news had only just started spreading.

Archived