Starter Pack

Ninian

Just googled it and found prices ranging from £70 ebay to £230 Amazon.

Its only as good as the battery & cables which look puny wee things to me.  And the battery will probably age before you use it.

The claimed 2000 amps seems incredibly optimistic to me. The only reviews I saw appeared to be paid advertorials. 

But it will produce something, which when added to whats on the main battery, might make the difference between getting started or not.  So I can't say it won't work. Just don't throw your jump leads away.

(I have 4x019 100ah batteries under the front seats as leisure batteries which I can connect to the main battery at the flick of a switch, so I won't be getting one to try)

I don't have a Topdon JS 2000.

However apart from the jump leads I also carry the Noco GBX 75.

This is capable of jump starting anything up to a 8.5ltr petrol or up to a 6.5 ltr diesel engine. I have never used it on my own vehicle, but have helped a couple on a Stellplatz in Germany a couple of years ago.

A bit pricey, yes, but puts my mind at rest.

• 4 weeks later...

A heighbour has just converted his own van and use's one of these for all his vans needs. Charges it from the vans cig lighter socket an solar panel fixed to roof. uses it mostly from its 12v socket for all his needs lighting tv etc  but it gives him 240v if he needs it so could easily power a 240 battery charger for engine battery top up if required' I just noticed Amazon have it on a BF deal quite a saving 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Outdoors/dp/B08RNPYLQW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1LO8QYA9CM813&keywords=jackery%2B500&qid=1669392281&sprefix=jackery%2Caps%2C394&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Dual purpose leisure batteries such as the Varta LFD range can be swapped over or provide an in situ jump start source. In an emergency a decent leisure battery will provide enough CCAs to get out of trouble, chances are with negligible detrimental affect to the batt.

I have a 24v vehicle with usual 12v hab. side battery setup consisting 4 x 12v in parallel. Should the 2 x12v in series starters fail to do the job I swap them for 2 x 12v leisure batts. The batteries are suitably matched size wise so as to be a correct fit. It's a bit of a physical workout, but thankfully a non start situation has only occured once in donkeys' years! 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, witzend said:

A heighbour has just converted his own van and use's one of these for all his vans needs. Charges it from the vans cig lighter socket an solar panel fixed to roof. uses it mostly from its 12v socket for all his needs lighting tv etc  but it gives him 240v if he needs it so could easily power a 240 battery charger for engine battery top up if required' I just noticed Amazon have it on a BF deal quite a saving 

After a bit of ifing an aming I decided to go for one my self Will give me 240v in van which will if needed power a 240v battery charger if van engine battery ever needs a boost or our ebike charger when needed beening pure sin wave  an if we get any power cuts this winter at home will give us a evenings TV viewing 

https://tinyurl.com/3jabedn3

• 2 months later...

Update,   Eventually bought the TOPDON JS3000, tried it today as my battery barely turned the engine over. Fitted the unit to the JUMP START points under the bonnet turned the key and WITHOUT any effort the unit started the van. My battery voltage had dropped to 11.2v. Excellent would highly recommend it.

Archived