EU Biometric Entry Exit System

laimeduck

This system is due to start in May 2023

There is an article in "The Local" that I can't read due to a paywall here: https://www.thelocal.fr/20221025/explained-what-the-eus-new-ees-system-means-for-travel-to-france/

There was also an article in September in the Grauniad here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/28/eu-biometric-entry-system-could-multiply-delays-at-dover

If anyone has access to "The Local" article I would be interested to read it.

It would appear that it will probably cause more mayhem at Dover, where the post authority have no idea how it will be implemented by French customs officials.

Personally I have two concerns:

a) I dislike having my details online without any personal control

b) I live in Kent and the M20 and surrounding roads look set to become a car park and repository for plastic bottles of amber liquids and worse!

Jeremy

I wouldn't make it that complicated, e-passports include photos and fingerprints.

The correspondence of your avatar with your real appearance is checked.

Like for example Indians do at their borders.

I don't think there is any other sensitive data.

You have an alternative, to stay on your sunny island.

Smile.

Derek

I had in fact managed to circumvent the paywall by using my android phone and opening the link I provided.

Then a "long press" on the first bit of text, then "select all", then "copy", then "paste" into notepad. (With my fat fingers it took a few attempts as you have to be quite quick!) Interestingly the article had a few subtle differences from the one Derek has posted above - nothing substantial, but different none-the-less?

The Link from GandJP is old September news - presumably where the Grauniad article I cited came from.

Regarding the introduction of this system, my big concern is the impact that the delays (10 minutes per vehicle to get the biometric data!) will have in my area of Kent. I foresee massive problems of queues and delays on the M20, A20, and M2 both trucks and tourist traffic. We have experienced the gridlock of our local roads with 10 minute journeys taking 2-3 hours around Ashford and Folkestone, as well as the crass stupidity of some drivers trying to beat the system.

I never travel to France and beyond in the School holidays so am not affected, but tens of thousands do and cause mayhem in East Kent ..... which does affect me, hence my interest.

Jeremy

Archived