Lock m out

rooster63

Have been following with interest various articles about MH security and just wondered about whether the lock m out catches are a worth considering. My van has the standard Seiki acrylic windows and the catches have a push button which need to be depressed to open the catch. The promo video shows a thief using a thin bladed instrument to push the catches up but the catches illustrated don’t have a push button. Does having a push button negate the need for lock m out catches? 

With or without locking buttons these windows and catches are not very strong and can be easily forced open, as can many habitation doors and lockers.

Maybe the best deterent is something very visible that will make a lot of noise if opened by force.

Sometimes I reckon it may be the better option to not upgrade security to windows and doors. Just leave a few of your redundant worthless outdated electronic stuff and the like strewn about, might be enough to make a thief happy. A broken window can cause more grief and expense to replace than the items nicked. I suppose the idea is not to leave anything of real value behind likely to appeal to the scrotes.

34 minutes ago, simians said:

Sometimes I reckon it may be the better option to not upgrade security to windows and doors. I suppose the idea is not to leave anything of real value behind likely to appeal to the scrotes.

Trouble is by the time they get in and find nothing of value they've already caused a lot of £'s worth of damage and may do more in temper before they leave. May be better to leave van unlocked side windows can be opened with a sharp pull from outside. All I've got is a very loud airhorn in the van on a pir that sounds when anyone enters    

1 hour ago, witzend said:

Trouble is by the time they get in and find nothing of value they've already caused a lot of £'s worth of damage and may do more in temper before they leave. May be better to leave van unlocked side windows can be opened with a sharp pull from outside. All I've got is a very loud airhorn in the van on a pir that sounds when anyone enters    

Which is what I was suggesting ie make it a relatively easy for a non destructive "break in", but not so obviously simple such as unlocked doors that some passing school kids might  give a pull, that would be tempting fate a little too much for me. Also means unnecessarily lying to Mr Insurer in event of a claim.

A couple of fake Rolex's might be enough to keep the average thieving git watery eyed and mesmerised until he buggers off and realises its a Bollex an hour later!

Paradoxically I never declare any security features on my m/bikes, the premium is higher if I actually did declare them. Additionally I'd be compelled to always remember to utilise them, that is if I wanted the insurance to remain valid.....mad. 

You will most likely find a condition in your insurance policy like this one (Aviva/Comfort).

5. You shall at all times take all reasonable steps to safeguard your motorhome from loss or damage.

Consequently not using a security device which you have fitted such as an alarm may in certain circumstances constitute a breach of your policy conditions which might give the insurers a reason to decline liability.  

Archived