Bessacarr 2008 E460 model.

wiff2110

I am trying to understand the battery voltage as shown on the selector panel over the habitation door, a selection shows me the leisure battery at13.30v and the main battery at 12.2v, I’m ok with that, but the next selection shows me the leisure battery again at 13.30v with an arrow either pointing in the direction of the leisure battery or away from it,  what is that telling me?

Thank you for the control panel link, I wasn’t aware that you can switch the habitation area heating on so I must give that a try, but where is the heat being generated from, do I also need the gas supply on?

when I purchased the motorhome I was told that when the arrow on the control panel was pointing away from the leisure battery then it meant that the vehicle battery was being charged but now I see that is not so, now my question is “ does the starter battery get charged when the EHU is connected to the motorhome and power switched on? How do I read this charge, do I need to select it somehow?

8 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Guidance on the use of a  Nordelettronica NE 183 control-panel is on Pages 49 to 53 of this document

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/900477/Fiat-X2-50-Ducato-Cab.html?page=45#manual

This entry explains the 'arrow'.

NE 183.png

Thank you for the information, The engine starter battery charge or discharge I am not understanding, when I apply the switch that I think you mean I just get a red light adjacent to the switch, am I missing something, does the starter battery also get charged from the EHU and is the a selection for this.

47 minutes ago, wiff2110 said:

Thank you for the information, The engine starter battery charge or discharge I am not understanding, when I apply the switch that I think you mean I just get a red light adjacent to the switch, am I missing something, does the starter battery also get charged from the EHU and is the a selection for this.

As explained in the video operating that switch allows the starter battery to be used to power the habitation electrics. Not a good idea in the medium to long time scale so a warning lamp is used.

wiff2110

Your handbook should explain the 'red light' as follow (the CAB BATTERY is the starter-battery)

image.png.4656af01d3b09196d9e9886f11a92e04.png

There seems to be no information in the handbook about battery charging when the motorhome is connected to an EHU, but the likelihood is that - when a 2008 Bessacarr E460 was built - only its leisure-battery could be charged from an EHU. This policy was commonplace for UK-built motorhomes. (However, there are fairly easy/cheap ways to circumvent this limitation, so a previous owner of your motorhome might have had a modification made to permit EHU-charging of the starter-battery.)

If you check the voltage of the leisure-battery and starter-battery via the control panel, then connect the motorhome to an EHU and recheck the voltage of the leisure-battery, you should see a significant increase (say to 13.8V). If you now recheck the voltage of the starter-battery and there's no change, you'll know that it's NOT being charged. And if there is a voltage increase, you'll know that it IS being charged.

This 2014 discussion might also be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/31903-help-bessacarrultrastore-electrical-control-problem/

A follow-up...

In a 2008 MotorhomeFacts forum thread about Swift Group motorhomes fitted with Nordelettronica equipment, it was advised that selecting the CAB BATTERY when the motorhome is on EHU will result in the leisure-battery AND the starter-battery being charged by the motorhome's onboard battery-charger. This capability was (apparently) due to a 'quirk' of the NE183 control-panel and the control-panel needs to stay switched on for the charging to take place.

Archived