Fridge grill covers

Grumpyman

• Keithl changed the title to Fridge grill covers

I believe an Auto-Trail F68 is fitted with a Thetford 142litres fridge/freezer.

The winter covers for Thetford fridges can be 'external' (clipping to the outside of the ventilation grills) or 'internal' (fitting behind the ventilation grills) and I'm near certain it's the latter type needed for a F68's fridge/freezer.

My 2015 Rapido had a large Thetford fridge/freezer that had 'internal' winter covers comprising a simple piece of white plastic (example here)

image.jpeg.1e9bfa63fd2ca42a026829d65fb56a23.jpeg

As Steve has advised, fitting such covers is straightforward and the following drawings show where the cover goes and how it is fitted.

image.jpeg.82460a920e3cf400272871feea138e9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.88ea21c9af75bc007f4185e0181a81da.jpeg

There's also a YouTube video that - from 3 minutes to 4 minutes of the play time - shows the covers being removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD3ga7XbFdY&ab_channel=MOHOTELADVENTURES

Both types of winter cover were shown in the following section of the Thetford manual provided with my Rapido motorhome.

image.png.a0aa4413e8e1d0034dad704cc5bfffe7.png

I was uncomfortable with the looseness of the two 'retention sliders' at the top of each vent grill (arrowed here)

image.jpeg.e08308f658a35cf7bdd14b38c05f7d87.jpeg

so I used to put a very small blob of Fernox LS-X sealant on each slider to prevent vibration moving it. These grills are far from cheap and the Dometic versions have a history of detaching themselves during travel. The Fernox sealant was easily cut free when a grill needed to be removed.

(As all our Rapido motorcaravanning was in the April-October period, I never fitted the winter covers.)

Just to add that the Dometic "three way" fridge winter covers fit to the outside of the grille, and are retained in place by two plastic "turnbutton" catches which engage with the grille louvres.  This provides an attachment for the winter covers that is sufficiently secure for use while driving.

The one caution is that not all manufacturers have necessarily installed Dometic vent grilles with Dometic fridges (so, presumably, ditto Thetford fridges)

As an aside, I fitted our winter covers (Dometic) a couple of weeks back, and within a week the lower cover had been stolen (van on drive, outside front door!).  The Dometic covers are sold as a pair (one upper, one lower), and currently appear to be a) in short supply and b) expensive.  The going rate seems to be around £40 for the pair plus delivery.  You have been warned!  😞 

Having always had Dometic refrigerators (in the past Electrolux), I don't know the Thetford ones.

But in thirty-five years of motorhome travel, even at -20°C in northern Germany, even when supplied as standard, I have never fitted winter covers.

Never had problems.

Max

Just received a pair of covers I bought on eBay - they had been painted black with the locking discs left white so just finished spraying them all in a close match to the silver bodywork - £10 for the covers - £7 for paint which I still would have had to pay for if I bought new ones at around £45. Well worth a little effort.

David

Archived