Ducato Relay Boxer Airbag Control Module failure.

Brian Kirby

The airbag ECU arrived back today, and has been refitted. (Removed Monday, re-installed Friday)

Despite the existing earth from the loom to a nearby stud, I've added another as per the Peugeot instructions.

Airbag light is now out, and no messages displayed.

Cleared everything down with MultiECUscan, (there were now no permanent stored codes anyway) and now need to keep an eye on things for a bit.

All reasonably straightforward; refitting slightly easier after going through the removal process.

£60 with Special Delivery return (plus my £7.65 to send Special Delivery), which, IMO, makes it worth a punt.

Only two slight hiccoughs:

i) I was supplied the wrong tracking code for the return (It was for a "1st Signed For" parcel, posted at the sme time and place - mine came Special Delivery under a different number, but of course I couldn't track it).

ii) I informed my tracking company of vehicle battery disconnection prior to removal, and subsequently reconnected (though didn't start up). On disconnection to reinstall, I forgot, only to get a 'phone call about a minute after I'd done it. Embarrassing but rather reassuring! 

Well, I must admit I will be delighted if it lasts without "going off" again. A bit more learnt about the vehicle, and a bit more value out of MultiECUscan (which doesn't really owe me anything anyway after using it for servicing).

Have you got your fixed, Brian, and if so, how much did Fiat stump up in the end?

(Being fair to Carl at Northern Auto Tech, I did get the wrong tracking number on my first eBay despatch email. (system problems at NAT end 😉).  It was subsequently corrected in the eBay order, but only if one checked the order online,  which I didn't, and so I continued to try the original one I got)

Yes, all fixed in November ('though minimal mileage since apart from 100 mile round trip to Southdowns a few days later).

It wasn't that straightforward as the failure (one the way to an MoT test!) resulted in an MoT fail, so the van went to a different workshop for diagnosis of the fault, fix and re-test.  Cost £335.  This was with background inputs from Fiat Technical in Italy, who I have to say were excellent.  The diagnostics and labour were at my cost, with the module supplied to the workshop at a (undisclosed) discounted cost.

This was followed up by a letter from Stellantis (the new Fiat/Chrysler/PSA parent) in the form of a non-transferable contribution of £150 towards the cost of the next due (November 2023) service, to be redeemed (at any Fiat Professional workshop) by the workshop, at the time of the service.  So, on a five year old imported LHD Ducato that originally came with a two year manufacturer's warranty, I suppose I can't complain.

That sounds considerably better than it might have been, Brian.,

I'm aware that the work done on mine, though it has removed the issue for now, might not have removed any cause, and that, given the level of failure being experienced, a new replacement might be of a revised design.

I can afford to risk it for £60+, though.

As I service my own, a £150 credit against service wouldn't be adding much value (unless it were redeemable against a cambelt change alone, and I'm not sure that would bring it down to an inde price anyway).

If it goes again, I'm minded to source a new unit myself (c£250) and install it. Having played with the current refurbishment, I'm reasonably confident I can achieve the required proxi-alignment.

It avoids the disruption of having to visit a (non-too-near) FP dealer, and none of the three nearest I've used over the years instills me with any confidence whatsoever.

Well, fingers crossed for us both then!  After all, even the revised replacement fitted to ours was presumably designed and manufactured by the same people who designed and manufactured the original.  What's that saying about continuing doing the same thing in the hope of a getting different result!  😄 

My experience has been to bite the bullet and opt for a new ECU failure oh dear, we'd been expecting it - despite the"precaution" of waiting for warning lights to go out before starting the engine.

I firstly  approached  Fiat and got through  to helpful lady (in Albania  I believe) who stated that my Buestner 2016 model was "old" & therefore could not expect much!

I persisted and recounted  how this was a known and common  fault; she eventually gave me a code. (see below)

I also approached  the main Fiat dealer in Bournemouth  and came come up against  very unpleasant man who in turn gave me an unpleasant  price to replace the ECU.

I then approached  Essenjay,  Poole, who confirmed  the fault and agreed to fit a replacement  under the terms of my warranty  (MB&G).

The chap who did the replacement said he'd had a number of these ( surprise surprise!).  He also stated that not one of replacements had ever suffered  a recurrence. But this is the interesting  bit - the serial number for the ECU is now different  and.... Fiat now use a different  manufacturer! Well, well.

And the code given me by Fiat? - it had no value when Essanjay  purchased the ECU from Fiat. 

The van has not been  out since ( December) due to weather, (house move) oh and a dose of Covid. Hopefully  though with spring  on it's way we will be out and about again soon. A visit to Poland  to see son, daughter in law and family? We'll  see!

• 1 month later...

Having just posted another topic elsewhere, I thought I'd return briefly to this.

I'm on my third substantial outing since installing the re-flashed ECU, and so far, so good.

(I may, however, be deluding myself in the same way as the man thrown off the Empire State Building who was heard to be shouting the same as he passed by every floor. 😉)

Re: the comment on the previous post. I don't believe Fiat have changed supplier. The earlier units were badged "TRW", the current ones "ZF" - ZF are the parent company of TRW.

Archived