Position of word processor options line

Derek Uzzell

Question

The word processor options line shown here

image.png.c7002686255c823f9831379b6f174dbd.png

is  displayed at the top of a posting 'window' and that's where it stays. This is OK if the posting is quite short, but it's a bugbear for longer postings.

Forums based on the XenForo platform have a similar-style word processor options line , but this stays beneath the posting and that position is superior for longer postings.

I've looked at a few forums based on the Invision Community platform and at a few XenForo-based forums. The former all had the options line at the top, and  the latter all had the options line at the bottom. That suggests that this is the default position for those platforms, but that doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be easily altered. 

If the 'top' position is set in stone for Invision Community forums, so be it, but 'bottom' is better in my opinion. (Incidentally, my dominatrix friend disagrees. 🙃 )

Is it possible to reposition the options line, please?

4 answers to this question

I will have a look, but a brief inspection of the code for the editor is that it is Javascript generated so harder to track down and alter. I will have a search of the admin documentation and see if there is a positional property.

Best wishes,

Paul

Invision uses the CK editor. This tool does have an option to move the position of the toolbar (top, left, right, bottom). To do this involves uploading a plugin to the main server, then installing and checking it is compatible. This is not an option via Invision CP-Admin and I have no access to servers or application files.

(I can add buttons, remove buttons, but not change the position of the toolbar). 

Sorry, I don't think it is possible for us at the moment to move the toolbar 😞

Best wishes,

Paul

On 12/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

If the 'top' position is set in stone for Invision Community forums, so be it, but 'bottom' is better in my opinion. (Incidentally, my dominatrix friend disagrees. 🙃 )

MOD! MOD! 

Smutty innuendo alert.

After all if you object to the use of Uranus as being too suggestive then Derek has gone beyond the pale😇

Signed 

Snitch Finder General

22 hours ago, PaulD said:

Invision uses the CK editor. This tool does have an option to move the position of the toolbar (top, left, right, bottom). To do this involves uploading a plugin to the main server, then installing and checking it is compatible. This is not an option via Invision CP-Admin and I have no access to servers or application files.

(I can add buttons, remove buttons, but not change the position of the toolbar). 

Sorry, I don't think it is possible for us at the moment to move the toolbar 😞

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks for checking, Paul.

It's evident from comments on the IC forum that adding plug-ins carries risk (plus time and effort). It's just a personal preference as my postings tend to be long, unlike Deleted by smut-monitoring plug-in.

If it ain't broke... 

Archived