Stop Start function.

Grumpyman

We have stop start on our motorhome and minibuses ( Ford & Merc )

all drivers are told not to turn off the SS. 
im sure it more fuel efficient. 
but the main thing is pollution. 
engines omit more harmful pollution when stationary, so definitely better to keep it switched on. 

4 hours ago, Grumpyman said:

Thanks chaps gives me. Food for thought.

Where I live there is often  a que of cars waiting at the traffic lights when the stop start cars start theres always a puff of exhaust smoke the ones with out just drive off with out this I wonder if these SS cars are better for Omissions or not

Tests I have read showed that stopping the engine for as little as 10 seconds reduced fuel consumption, and thereby emissions.  

But that is not what the OP asked

He asked if stop start was more economical

Which is much harder to answer as the cost of the extra wear and tear is incalculable.

FWIW my stop start no longer works since I added 4x100ah batteries via a split charge relay.

But I still turn the engine off if I look like being stationary in a built up area for more than a few seconds because its the right thing to do.

I totally agree with you John. 
in the past prior to SS I’ve always switched off more for economy and now of course the environment. 
I’ve noticed on tick over when the SS doesn’t work that my overhaul Milage drops considerably in town. 
mom OTT when it comes to economy to the extent that each driver filled at different garages, I chose Shell. 
of course it is down to individual driving, but every bus is not driven by the same driver every day. 
economy i figures are very notable and more so when the SS is not working due to low battery. 
all  very clever stuff. 

21 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Some years ago, in my car, I was stuck in a long traffic jam on the M11 motorway. For about an hour we slowly moved forwards a few yards at a time.

The " stop-start " of the engine ( probably 20 or 30 times ) gave me concern for the health of my battery, and starter motor - so I switched the stop-start off.   Have never switched it on again.

As I am on low mileage these days, and rarely in towns, my contribution to the well being of the planet is to take it easy on the accelerator.

As for being " advised " what to do by any authourities, I recall that not that long ago the government was encouraging everyone to ' buy diesel ' to save the planet.

18 hours ago, malc d said:

, in my car .. I switched the stop-start off.   Have never switched it on again.

On my Ducato the stop start function reset itself on every time I turned off and restarted the engine.  So I had to press the button again to disable the start stop.  (That was until I added the extra batteries whereapon the start stop function has never come on again)

There was a guy on ebay selling a little gadget that pressed the start stop button for you electronically every time you restarted the engine.  But I can't find the advert now.  I don't know whether his gadgets are illegal? 

On all vehicles currently marketed with Start-Stop, this feature is automatically enabled every time the vehicle's engine is started. The driver can then press a Start-Stop dashboard 'disabling-button'

There are companies that offer a Start-Stop disabling service that involves hacking the vehicle's ECU (example here)

https://www.avontuning.co.uk/services/advanced-options/startstop-disable

and there are devices marketed that cause the disabling-button's last use to be 'remembered'. (So - if the driver has disabled Start-Stop via the dashboard button - the feature stays disabled indefinitely until the driver chooses to reenable it.)

This video relates to such a device for the USA Ford Transit (that has a 3.5litre V6 motor) and is simply fitted 'in line' in the OBD port. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=CN7XEC2csYc

There are Start-Stop disabling devices marketed for other makes/models of vehicle and these can take much more work to install.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/apps/help-center

As far as I'm aware, there is no one-size-fits-all universal Start-Stop disabling device - the device needs to be tailored to a make/model of vehicle.

Start-Stop is a fuel-saving feature, not a 'safety' feature, so I don't see there being any illegality in retro-fitting a Start-Stop disabling device, and the driver can still reenable the feature if they so wish merely by pressing the dashboard button. 

13 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Start-Stop is a fuel-saving feature, not a 'safety' feature, so I don't see there being any illegality in retro-fitting a Start-Stop disabling device,

Well if its burning less fuel I assumed it would be emitting less fumes, which made me wonder if these devices were legal.

But I didn't bother with one because I soon got into the habit of pressing the disable button when I started the engine.  When I forgot I just got a gentle reminder when the engine stopped, which was easily remedied by pressing the clutch then the dashboard button.

My understanding is like oil works like a skier being pulled over  shallow water.  As long as he is sliding the water keeps him above the bottom so no friction.  But as soon as he stops he sinks to the bottom, and you have to brute force drag him scraping along the bottom to get him moving and raise him above the bottom again.  This is what happens when you stop your engine, which is why it causes less wear to keep it running.  Then there is wear on the starter motor etc

Nevertheless, we should all switch our engines off when stationary in a built up area for more than a few seconds because its the right thing to do.  So the start stop function serves a useful purpose by reminding us of this even if we disable it.

I disabled the start stop because the driver is better placed than the computer to decide when to stop the engine, because the driver can probably see how long he is likely to be stationary.

Archived