Supposed 'green taxes'

Vic

Having just recently bought my first motorhome with the view to travelling not just around the UK, but Europe too, how am I going to cope with the proposed new motoring costs? It is said that in the UK, I may have to pay £1.50 per mile to use major routes. Will this apply to Eurpoe also? All in the name of cutting carbon emissions? So, where do we stand as motorhome owners? Is this the end of travelling? It seems that we will be penalised by governments because we have the desire to travel. This surely can't be fair. Despite paying our road tax, and, paying tax on fuel, the private ownership of vehicles may soon be priced out of existence. Am I being paranoid? Tell me what you think please. Shall I sell my motorhome and get back on my bike? I've tried to fit an awning on my bike but it doesn't work. Is the tent the only opton?

Forget everything government tells you, its all hot air.

The object of advertising the "Global Warming Farce" is to give an excuse for a multitude of industries to jump on the band waggon, to create employment and increase prices.

True as a motorist you may have to pay more but that's life, we shall all adjust and it will be lost in time...................that is until another farce is dreamed up by our so called leaders.

Vic - 2007-06-01 10:06 PM

Having just recently bought my first motorhome with the view to travelling not just around the UK, but Europe too, how am I going to cope with the proposed new motoring costs? It is said that in the UK, I may have to pay £1.50 per mile to use major routes. Will this apply to Eurpoe also? All in the name of cutting carbon emissions? ]

Hi Vic - 'Green taxes'...well I suppose thats one word (well 2 actually!)...pernally I'd reduce it to just the one 'taxes'! However,, can you really imagiune the French paying to use all their roads??? At least you have a choice to use (or not) the 'pay' autoroutes, at what I consider a reasonable cost, and at least they are top quailtywith plenty of rest areas.

Keith T - 2007-06-03 11:43 AM

Hi Vic - 'Green taxes'...well I suppose thats one word (well 2 actually!)...pernally I'd reduce it to just the one 'taxes'! However,, can you really imagiune the French paying to use all their roads??? At least you have a choice to use (or not) the 'pay' autoroutes, at what I consider a reasonable cost, and at least they are top quailtywith plenty of rest areas.

Hmmm I believe you extend the debate here because as I understand it from friends that live in France 'general' taxation is considerable more than here. Us temporary residents actually benefit from the lower parts of the French taxation system.

As for the French autoroutes the term 'Rose Coloured Spectacles' comes to mind here, I have driven on some really bad poor quality Autoroutes in France (lost two wheel trims and buckled a wheel on one) and I would like to have a pound for each Chassee Deformee (apologise for incorrect spelling but I am sure you have all seen them as you rumble down the damaged carriageways) sign that seems to be a regular occurance now. We stick to 'N' routes now as the journey is invariably better than we were experiencing and paying for the privledge!

We like the country but we still keep a reasoned view of it credit where credit is due e.g. Aires and the general welcoming of campers, but not everything is better in our experience.

Bas

Bas - must say my expereiences of 'paid' autoroutes in France seems quite different to yours. We use them most years 'off and on' but certainly not exclusively, and there are many km which are 'free' - perhaps more noticable to us as we get the ferry to Roscoff, then drive across (or down) France. The 'free' A routes I agree can sometimes be less than top standard, but in whatever part of France I have used the 'peage' system, I have always found them very satisfactory.

I also use plenty of N and indeed D roads - now these can vary tremendously, and some of the bast are quite minor D roads, often very straight, and perhasp are a relic of old Roman roads. They are also very interesting, and frequently free of traffic

I accept the point about general level of taxes, they are paid in different ways to ours, sometimes on the face of it more fairly. They don't have a problem with non payement of road Tax though, as there is noe, the cost is simply incortparated into the price of fuel, so everyone pays it, and it doesn't need an army of staff to run it. Likewise, the need for an Insurance disc on the vehicel windcreen provides a more visual confirmation that insurance is current - I don't seem to hear many probelms with uninsured drivers.

Hi Keith,

Oh yes don't get me wrong we love to go over there and like the way they do a lot of things, they appear so much less wound up and stressed than our population in this badly overcrowded island of ours, however I will never be a European and I still speak as I find.

I will never understand why we can't have our road tax put on petrol, perhaps its because of all the cloned plates and drive off fill ups who knows, it just seems a much more realistic way to pay the more you use the more you pay and vice versa.

I noticed the biggest deterioration in the roads about two to three summers ago after the long period of heat which seemed to cause large lorry ruts everywhere you went. What I would say though is at least they use the money they collect to repair them quickly, unlike over here in anti car UK.

Bas

Archived