Brugge

ROND

Has anybody used the aire at Brugge lately ? the last i heard was that work was being done there but that was some months back. We are headed down that way next week and thought we might stop a night there before heading on to the Mosel

Last reports were that the aire is now closed and that a new aire next to the canal was being constructed. The new aire is reported to have water supply and electric hook up. The downside is that a charge of 15 euros per night is being levied. Many motorhomers are now using the car park on the opposite side of the road to the old aire where there are parking bays big enough for motorhomes. As yet nobody has reported any problems when using this facility.

The "new" parking spot has been used for overnight stays without any problems I am told. It is on the opposite side of the dual carriage from the old aire. If you drive past the old aire and go under the dual caariage way to the coach stop and exit back onto the main road the car park is on your right directly opposite the railway station car parking area. Hope that makes sense!!

As a result of the closure of the aire Camping Memling is much busier and booking in advance is recommended. The site now caters for more vehicles but in many cases the size of the pitches has been reduced to allow this.

Guest JudgeMental

stayed there in April when i picked up new van

it was under the overpass on other side of road from the bus station, next to a canal?

there are a couple of barges next to it where you can get a meal or a drink

have looked on map but can't identify spot...

ROND - 2007-06-01 11:12 PM

Has anybody used the aire at Brugge lately ? the last i heard was that work was being done there but that was some months back. We are headed down that way next week and thought we might stop a night there before heading on to the Mosel

When we were there two years ago it was like an over crowded car park and had a massive show people truck taking up 50% of the space! I wrote to the Toursit Office for clarification about the rules for using this Aire and am still awaiting a reply.

My advice - stay well clear

Vernon

Hi,

At the prices being quoted I would use Camping Memling it also has free wifi access, I did look at the old/existing Aire oposite the Coach Car park and it really didn't look that inviting as there were a number of large lorries/circus vans and it looked a mess i certainly would have used it just to save a couple of quid ? I don't know if there is a new aire but if there is it would certainly have to be a lot better than the old one before i would use it, so i would recommend Camping Memling you can catch a bus into the middle of the city or you can walk it takes about 20 mins or there are cycle paths

Hope that helps

If you're travelling a little further, past Ghent, I can recommend the Municipal Camping there - it's just off the motorway (but far enough to be quiet) and next to the Olympic rowing canal.

Mel E

====

Thanks for that i am familiar with the couple of sites around Brugge and at 15 euros i would prefer to use them. Last time i was there the aire was full of vehicles from the travelling fair so nothing has changed it seems.

Hi,

Yes at first glance €15 does seem a lot to stay on an aire, but you are in walking distance an historic city centre and with electric hook-up. Where in England is there a similar facility? The only one that comes to mind is the C.C. site in York. Here you can walk in but it costs around £15 not € and you need to book about a year in advance to get on! But I hear you say the facilities are so much better; well they are but we always use our on board facilities so no gain there.

Of course free aires are the best, even better if the hook-up is free as well, as is still the case on some aires in France. But when we stay on French aires that charge we do not complain, because we know there is nothing to compare with them here (O.K. there are the CL,s but these are often muddy fields well away from interesting villages etc). So Brugge might be at the top end with a €15 charge but is still better than towns/cities here can do.

Robert and Jean

I would've quite happily paid to stay even at the old Aire without facilities, it was in a great position - but 15€ is sublime to the ridiculous.

Still - shall wait and see, Memling is just too far for us to walk in and out - and it's a nice walk from the area of the Aire

B-)

Archived