Re overnight costs

John Keats

don't know about anyone else - but we go to France - et al - 'cos we prefer the lifestyle, food, wine, ambiance, and occasionally - the weather, we like the fact that we aren't treated like pariahs 'cos we have a camper van: we love the country, views, people, campsites,

B-)

twooks - 2007-06-02 6:02 PM

don't know about anyone else - but we go to France - et al - 'cos we prefer the lifestyle, food, wine, ambiance, and occasionally - the weather, we like the fact that we aren't treated like pariahs 'cos we have a camper van: we love the country, views, people, campsites,

B-)

Too right Twooks it is a different lifestyle and the people so friendly also its a big plus that you can actualy park your motorhome in a town or at a beach unlike Britain where you are a social oucast and will get an instant fine for taking up more than a tiny box.

Besides what idiots want to pay £40 to £54 pounds a night mid summer for a sight in the UK when campsites in France are a much more sensible price besides the great system of aires they have.

RonD

your friend pays for flight, hotel and restaurant. for 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 3 months? i guess not. motorhomers do. year after year. you work out the costings!!! we also have the freedom to go or stay when we want, for as long as we want. does your friend have that freedom. And we dont have to pack or carry a case!

Who cares about costing it all out? Don't we do what we do because we want to and we can?

As for spending £10,000-£50,000 to go to France, well not all of us. Our motorhome has cost us about £8000 in total, including rebuilding it and we don't go to France, Spain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy or wherever. We tour in UK and we're happy to continue doing so.

D.

Guest caraprof
John Keats - 2007-06-02 3:48 PM I have a friend who fly's to Prague because their beer in pennies per pint. Motorhome users spend £10,000 to £50,000 to travel to France because they have cheap nightly stop overs. Surely there's a problem here !

What nonsense! First of all, anyone who flies to Prague just because the beer is cheaper is typical of the kind of person that gives the U.K. a bad name. Intelligent people fly to Prague to see the wonderful architecture and to experience a different lifestyle.

As for the second point, I go to Europe to explore different countries and different cultures - the price of the overnight stops is about as important to me as the price of the beer!

But of course I also have great holidays in this country, such as the ten days that I had recently in the Highlands of Scotland and where, unlike the imagined bias mentioned by another contributor, I came across no resistance to me and my motorhome.

Finally, anyone spending £50 for a night on a campsite is a stupid as the person who flies to Prague to get drunk for a few quid less than he would spend in his local. Join the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club and stay on lovely sites for a fraction of that.

John Keats - 2007-06-02 3:48 PM

I have a friend who fly's to Prague because their beer in pennies per pint.

Motorhome users spend £10,000 to £50,000 to travel to France because they have cheap nightly stop overs.

Surely there's a problem here !

It seems to me that he's trying to make the point that both parties go to undue expense in the spurious pursuit of saving a few quid. An entirely fallacious premise which misses the point that the metaphorical journey is the end in itself, not the actual destination. There is, in logical fact, no problem here.

If though, the statement is intended to start a debate regarding the merits of different kinds of holidays, which I don't think is the case, then I'd venture that it's impossible to argue that one type is objectively 'better' than the other? In any event most people on the forum are self-selected and the argument would be biased.

A good and relevant point though is that we are without doubt marginalised in Great Britain, and made to feel like social outcasts. Why is this so?

Hi,

I think it has all been said, but if i were to try and make an economical argument for buying a motor-home I think i would find it very difficult albeit that would depend upon what i evaluated it against. However as has been said most of us do it because we can so its not about the money as long as you have enough I suppose its more a kin to a hobby and i have never found a hobby that has been economical ??.

As for the Aires in France we personally hardly use them as we prefer using the campsites however I do think that the availability of them or just there existence gives you a good idea of how the country thinks. I think everyone who has been to France will tell you its not about the money !! albeit !! diesel at 70p/litre, Aires that are free or campsites for under £10/night, beer in the supermarkets for 70 cents per litre and wine at ??? plus empty roads and parking in the centre of towns for motor-homes does help??

davenewell@home - 2007-06-02 8:59 PM

Who cares about costing it all out? Don't we do what we do because we want to and we can?

As for spending £10,000-£50,000 to go to France, well not all of us. Our motorhome has cost us about £8000 in total, including rebuilding it and we don't go to France, Spain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy or wherever. We tour in UK and we're happy to continue doing so.

D.

Dave

Aren't you going to give Dex a chance to have a bit of French flesh then instead of the underdone English stuff he's used to? (lol)

Mel B - 2007-06-03 8:06 PM

davenewell@home - 2007-06-02 8:59 PM

D.

Dave

Aren't you going to give Dex a chance to have a bit of French flesh then instead of the underdone English stuff he's used to? (lol)

No Mel, Dex likes his meat fresh and raw! >:-)

D.

As for the Aires in France we personally hardly use them as we prefer using the campsites however I do think that the availability of them or just there existence gives you a good idea of how the country thinks. I think everyone who has been to France will tell you its not about the money !! albeit !! diesel at 70p/litre, Aires that are free or campsites for under £10/night, beer in the supermarkets for 70 cents per litre and wine at ??? plus empty roads and parking in the centre of towns for motor-homes does help??

This for me sums up the whole idea of motorhoming in france we have just had two fantastic weeks in france combined with visiting our son in chamonix.

2350 miles in 14 days ,weather was great,nice beaches on south coast,all for less than £400 including ferry ,that does not include food because I always say you have to eat where ever you are ,just booked ferry again for september can't wait to visit france again.

All you need is a small tractor a wendy house some waterproof binliners and a couple of bikes and away you go ..

1856871357_MH01.jpg.8b418ad9a93389e7917277b4daac310b.jpg

Horses for courses. We use our motorhome extensively, but we also go more distant places by air.

In the last 12 months I've visited 25 different countries on holiday - 15 in the motorhome and 10 by air. I wasn't attempting any sort of record - it just came out that way.

As for justifying the cost - I know of no hobby where you can reasonably do so. Until recently I did a lot of flying - both gliders and powered aircraft. The adage that applies to aviation probably applies to lots of other hobbies:

'The only way to make a small fortune from aviation is to start with a large one.'

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-06-04 6:47 PM

As for justifying the cost - I know of no hobby where you can reasonably do so. Until recently I did a lot of flying - both gliders and powered aircraft. The adage that applies to aviation probably applies to lots of other hobbies:

'The only way to make a small fortune from aviation is to start with a large one.'

Mel E

====

.... your post made me check what Bristol airport had charged me to land and park a four-seater for 25 mins while I grabbed a coffee, it was £127.72. This did not include fuel which was 1.27 per litre. To land and park at a similar French airport would have been a small fraction of that cost.

Bob

Archived