hymer bed slats

Guest peter
Go to your local woodyard and get the materials to make your own. Much quicker and cheaper. It's probably Ash or Beach.

Hi, Peter

That sounds like a good idea, but mine have a bow in them to provide more spring ? any idea how to achieve this if i buy my own pice of wood ?

peter - 2007-06-06 12:11 AM

Go to your local woodyard and get the materials to make your own. Much quicker and cheaper. It's probably Ash or Beach.

Guest peter
enodreven - 2007-06-07 11:33 AM

Hi, Peter

That sounds like a good idea, but mine have a bow in them to provide more spring ? any idea how to achieve this if i buy my own pice of wood ?

peter - 2007-06-06 12:11 AM

If it's not fixed at the ends to give the bow (overlength) it may have been steamed and bent on a former until it's dried and taken a set. You could try wetting one side with hot water and putting a bend in it until it's dried, this will put a set in it as you will be stretching the fibres on the wet side.

If a ready replacment is not available why not take out broken one and borrow one from say under the pillow end which could have a flat piece of fine grained hardwood lath in its place. It would not have to be bowed or sprung there. chas (lol)

The slats are made up from five pieces of thick veneer in a process called laminating. The components are all bonded together with a resin glue. They are held under pressure to the shape of a former or mould until the glue sets. Probably takes a minute using radio frequency heating (Like a glorified micro-wave set up) Many components were made for the Mosquito aeroplane so the technology is not new.

The veneers, with the grain of all five running in the same direction, are used to allow a thin and stong component to be made which overcomes the weakness of a single piece of solid timber.

Guest peter
JohnP - 2007-06-08 8:00 PM

The slats are made up from five pieces of thick veneer in a process called laminating. The components are all bonded together with a resin glue. They are held under pressure to the shape of a former or mould until the glue sets. Probably takes a minute using radio frequency heating (Like a glorified micro-wave set up) Many components were made for the Mosquito aeroplane so the technology is not new.

The veneers, with the grain of all five running in the same direction, are used to allow a thin and stong component to be made which overcomes the weakness of a single piece of solid timber.

That's one way (but weak in a small width), depends on which type his originals are.

Any potential weakness in the width is overcome by the fact that five pieces of timber veneer (all with different grain patterns) are bonded together.

The strength in bed slats is required mainly in the length of the component.

Lots of modern chair side frames (one component forming legs, arms and back supports for example) are made using this technique of laminating.

Seat and back platforms or bases for upholstery are also made using a similar technique but the grain of each veneer runs at right angles to its neighbour (as in plywood) This is done to spread the strength/load over a very wide component

Archived