Rear view/reversing camera problem

DickB

When bought in 2017 the camera on my Adria became intermittent after a short time driving. The camera, Dometic (Waeco) was replaced without any improvement. The dealer checked cables and said they had done something, but the problem continued and is now significantly worse. 

Symptoms are: About 20/30 minutes after switching on the rear view display starts to flicker, go dark and then blank. Manually selecting reverse view brings back a picture, but after a short time this goes blank also. Turning off the system for a few minutes and then on again restores  the pictures for a time. Vibration doesn't seem to be relevant. I have checked, cleaned and taped the connecting plugs and the power connections with no improvement.

As the display shows the reverse picture immediately after the rear view fails, I don't believe the problem lies in the display, but with a new camera (now 3 years old) I suspected the cable. Having checked connectors and as much of the cable which is visible, I am at a loss to know where the problem lies. Any help and thoughts would be welcome.

Dick 

Thanks Derek. I am currently in Portugal so any serious checking will have to wait till I return home. What makes me think it isn't the monitor is that by changing the source a picture is restored, even though it subsequently fails as well. I am getting round to a total replacement as being the easiest solution. Maybe only a reversing camera wirelessly connected is the only essential. 

Dick 

I notice that, in 2020,  you reported issues with your Adria's reversing-camera system and I'm doubtful that much can usefully be added to the earlier discussion (that suggested a wiring fault might be the cause).

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/50116-reversingrear-view-camera/#comment-642774

It would certainly be the case that a replacement complete 'wired' system (twin-lens camera + monitor + wiring and example advert here)

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/7-inch-colour-dash-monitor-and-twin-lens-reversing-camera.html

could be purchased for significantly less than a Waeco twin-lens camera or a Waeco monitor - though the installation cost would need to be factored in unless you were to fit the system yourself. 

Regarding your last comment "Maybe only a reversing camera wirelessly connected is the only essential", wireless systems were mentioned in the 2020 forum thread.  Simply replacing the Waeco camera with a wireless camera is a non-starter - if you wanted to 'go wireless' you'd need to have a system comprising a wireless monitor AS WELL AS a wireless camera.

Hi, Derek's comment re wireless systems although valid is not strictly correct as there are transmitter and receiver units that work with standard cameras and monitors, effectively just replacing the fixed wiring. These are shown on the same link as in DU's post under wireless systems.

As to cost effectiveness, well that's for you to decide.

Bas

That's worth knowing, but before considering that approach it would be wise for Dick to confirm with the vendor that the transmitter and receiver combination being offered would be compatible with the Waeco equipment in his Adria motorhome.

I assume this would be what would be used

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/60m-digital-wireless-bridge.html

but even if the 'bridge' would work with Dick's present system (effectively side-stepping a possible fault with the cable that currently connects the Waeco monitor with the Waeco monitor) a 12V power-supply would need to be provided for the Waeco camera and its wireless transmitter. As I touched on back in 2020, it's hard to see how a Waeco twin-lens  camera's full functionality could be exploited wirelessly. And, of course, if the issues Dick reported in his 1st posting above are due to a camera or monitor fault, 'bridging' those two equipments wirelessly would not be a cure.

Thanks for the further info. I doubt if I would go with a wireless bridge which is more than the cost of a complete single channel system which would be guaranteed.

I started having a look at my system and tried to check first the connection by the camera. I discovered that the cable is very tidyly fitted BUT to take up slack the cable has been doubled back a number of times. It is then clamped tightly with cable ties which is highly likely to have creased the cable. Online fitting instructions for these cameras specifically warn against cable ties, and I would certainly never bend cables the way these have been. No idea if this is the cause of my problems, but it indicates that I need to closely check all the cable run. This will need to wait until I return home in April.

Dick 

Archived