vets - how do you find one?

peterjl

Hi

I know it seems simple enough but what is the easiest way to find a vet in france.

I have only ever used one and he was recommended!

I've tried the french yellow pages but the volume of hits just leaves me confused.

Peter

Hi

We have an early sunday train from calais so Jess needs the vet friday pm - ideally i'll be 200 miles or so south or south West of calais - haven't quite planned our route yet but probably heading back up from atlantic coast.

regards

peter

pete ,

sorry you wil have to be a little more precise than that 200miles south its a big place help us out here :D

Pete just googled it try vetinary surgeons list in France sorry don't know how to add a link but there is loads to choose from you just have to know where you are . Its good because you can phone from here and book your appointment. Try Enjoy france .com thats what I put in google came up with a list

good luck let us know how you get on ;-)

Hi

Sorry Michelle; this is very much a last minute break - i've booked the crossing but haven't quite decided how far we are going - i have maps spread on table next to me now - we leave a week Friday night and get train back Sunday morning a week after (these are cheapest as i had to change dates booked earlier in year due to change of circumstances)

I am interested in process as much as anything else - the first time we went the campsite in St Omer booked the vet and the second time i just rung up vet from uk and booked him myself.

This time i would like to get jess vetted (is that a word?) further inland.

Looking in yellow pages it is just a list of vets but:-

Do people just turn up, or book in advance; phone from uk; I am not sure of best way.

What are other peoples experience of the best way?

If any body knows a good vet further inland in any direction that would be very useful - for now or for the future.

many thanks

Peter

We have found one of the best ways is to contact the local Tourist info office for the town etc you are going to be in by email and ask them to supply the details of 2 or 3 local vets who speak English. We did this for the vet we use in Brugge and also one we use in Boulogne sur mer. We then either ring or email them and arrange an appointment.

Hi Peter We too decided to try using vets more inland just last week and it worked a treat. Before we have stayed in the St omer area but then you have to wait 24 hrs before you can cross, we wanted to stay further south longer for the weather. You say south west of Calais. Some 250 miles south west you will find a very good vet at Beaumont Sur Sarthe which has a nice Municipal site 5 mins walk from the vet. The surgery is a new building and we found all the staff on the ball. Have a nice holiday.

Just a caution - make sure the vet you go to uses the right products, one that we used last year didn't - although we weren't pulled up at the port on our way back. The very professional vet we went to recently in Boulogne Sur Mer spotted the mistakes in the dogs' passports immediately and told us that the only product which he would use for tick treatment is Frontline, and the only correct way to give the worm treatment is by injection. The worm tablets we were given by the vet last year didn't cover all the worm nasties correctly and the tick treatment didn't have the right medication in it. If the port personnel had been more on the ball we wouldn't have got back to the UK when we did, not to mention the fact that the dogs weren't correctly protected!

I can't remember the exact chemical compound(s) that should be in the products but I would suggest that you ask your UK vet for their names in writing so that you can show them to the foreign vet to make sure that the product they are going to use has the correct formulation.

Sorry to hijack your thread! but if you made a last min booking when did your dog have his vaccinations? Were thinking of going abroad next year with our 11 month old pup, do you get your dog done every time or how long does the vaccination last? do you get an annual booster ?

I was thinking if we are going next year we would probably have to start the proccess in about Sept; Oct; Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Maggvd

It take 7 months to get dog passported - month for injection then bloodtest at end of month - you can bring dog back into country 6months after a positive blood test.

vaccines in this country last 2 years but some countries like dogs vaccinated annually. Take care - if one day late with booster you start the 7 months again!

ours was vaccinated Dec 05 and fisrt took her abroad june 06 - it works for us.

Good Luck

Peter

Maggyd:

Have a look at some of the old postings at:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4863&posts=6

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1724&posts=12

If you do a search with "pet passport" in the keyword field and "all posts" in date limit field you'll get quite a few more to browse.

Back on thread:

I nearly suggested trying the french yellow pages but the problem is that there is no way or knowing if they speak English or not, at least the Tourist Info offices know (don't ask me why they do but they do!). :-S

Further to Mel B's earlier reply, it isn't neccessary to have the wormer injected. It's just that French vets prefer this method. The worming tablets which must be used are Milbemax or Drontal. I've even taken worming tablets with me and requested the vet use them instead of the injection - on the dogs, not me!!! I've heard of some dogs having a reaction to the injection so I'd avoid it.

I'd like to add we've taken our 2 dogs to France 3 times now and are planning to go again in Sept. We've not had any problems with the system but please ensure the vet signs and stamps all relevant pages in the dogs passport. When we went in May we met a lady at the Eurotunnel who was held up at Pet Passport Control as the vet had neglected to complete all the paperwork.

Mel B has made an excellent suggestion re: the tourist info offices. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Good luck and enjoy your holidays with your dog.

dogmad - 2007-06-20 8:25 PM

Further to Mel B's earlier reply, The worming tablets which must be used are Milbemax or Drontal.

Always use Drontal myself . . . errr, on the dog !

I get them and a supply of Advantix from the UK vet when he goes for his

check up a few weeks before we leave.

As a matter of interest, 'K9 Advantix' is actually more powerful than 'Frontline' for tick treatment. Quote : "It repels and kills ticks before they can attach", Frontline does not do this.

Please ensure the vet signs and stamps all relevant pages in the dogs passport.

Much more important with regard to ferry officials.

That's another good suggestion re: K9 Advantix, I hadn't heard of that. I'll certainly be asking my vet for it before we go to France again in Sept as I like to give my dogs the best protection I can.

I also use Scalibor collars on them to help protect against sandflies. These are not neccessary if you're just going to northern France, they used to be found south of the Loire but are now spreading further north. I didn't realise but sandflies are actually more prevalent in rural wooded areas, not beaches!

Re taking your dog abroad: whilst the rabies injection is now valid for 3 years in UK, for France it has to be done every year. I've also found that buying Scalibor collars is cheaper in France , so if you are a regular tripper you can buy ahead for your next trip - just make sure that the expiry date is OK. Collars in Spain also cheaper than UK. Sorry to sound a bit penny pinching but having two large Rotties with us on a couple of trips each year can add to the costs quite considerably - especially as the cost of treament goes up in line with the dog's weight! You can also buy heartworm tablets for added belt and braces protection. We paid 34 euros for 4 tablets last year. Each one lasts a month.

Archived