driving from london to cyprus

grumpy

hi everyone a new member, we are traveling to cyprus in a motorhome (motorcross/garage in rear )with trailer with two bikes inside early part of april 2008

I have contacted maureen and don madge and kevin griffiths from the travel consultants page and am very happy with their advice but am still a tad concerned about the route to take.

france italy ferry to mainland greece ferry to cyprus

or

drive to turkey and ferry to turkish cyprus and croos to cypriot cyprus

have heard that borders are sometimes closed overnight, i was then intrigued to read lilias steve hill's article in the june issue about their recent adventures.

has any body any other comments on the subject we would be most grateful

I am not on the computer a lot maybe a couple of times a week so please do'nt think I am ignoring you

cheers malcolm and Sue

grumpy - 2007-06-14 10:25 PM

hi everyone a new member, we are traveling to cyprus in a motorhome (motorcross/garage in rear )with trailer with two bikes inside early part of april 2008

I have contacted maureen and don madge and kevin griffiths from the travel consultants page and am very happy with their advice but am still a tad concerned about the route to take.

france italy ferry to mainland greece ferry to cyprus

or

drive to turkey and ferry to turkish cyprus and croos to cypriot cyprus

have heard that borders are sometimes closed overnight, i was then intrigued to read lilias steve hill's article in the june issue about their recent adventures.

has any body any other comments on the subject we would be most grateful

I am not on the computer a lot maybe a couple of times a week so please do'nt think I am ignoring you

cheers malcolm and Sue

Hi M & S,

Just to clear up a few points

You don't have an option I'm afraid, as there are no car ferries between mainland Greece and Cyprus you will have to go via Turkey. The ferries stopped running about 5/6 years ago and are unlikely to start again in the near future.

There is a RO/RO frieght ferry from Greece to Cyprus but you would most likely be charged frieght tarifs which could work out very expensive. You could also finish up in a six berth cabin with a couple of female Bulgarian truck drivers. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Usually all main border crossing points are open 24/7 it's only the minor posts that are closed at night.

I've updated the Cyprus info recently and the ferry details from Turkey to Cyprus can now be found at http://www.fergun.net/uk/

I don't know about the value of the outfit you are taking but it's worth bearing in mind that you will not be covered by insurance for the ferry trip from Turkey to Northern Cyprus. :-( :-( :-(

I would suggest you look into marine insuance if you have high value equipment with you. :-D :-D

Regards

Don

hello Don thanks for the prompt reply, I have seen that there are many roll on/off ships running from bari/ italy to mainland greece and then from mainland Greece to Limissoll Cyprus. But as you rightly say they are no guarentees that you will get on and they are expensive.

we are looking to go via France Belgium Holland Germany Austria Hungary ROmania Bulgaria Turkey-Cyprus ?

The vehicle/trailer and bikes are probably priced in the region of £20,000 so would look into marine as you suggest

Malcolm

grumpy - 2007-06-15 11:32 AM

hello Don thanks for the prompt reply, I have seen that there are many roll on/off ships running from bari/ italy to mainland greece and then from mainland Greece to Limissoll Cyprus. But as you rightly say they are no guarentees that you will get on and they are expensive.

we are looking to go via France Belgium Holland Germany Austria Hungary ROmania Bulgaria Turkey-Cyprus ?

The vehicle/trailer and bikes are probably priced in the region of £20,000 so would look into marine as you suggest

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I'll mail you some info on Eastern Europe.

Don

Archived