summer reading

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I read a lot anyway, interested to know what you lot are reading this summer on yor travels?

I enjoy the detective genre; Lee childs - Jack reacher novels/Michael Connelly - harry Bosch novels and my big favorite at the moment James lee Burke - Dave Robicheaux novels

JudgeMental - 2007-06-16 3:31 PM I read a lot anyway, interested to know what you lot are reading this summer on yor travels? I enjoy the detective genre; Lee childs - Jack reacher novels/Michael Connelly - harry Bosch novels and my big favorite at the moment James lee Burke - Dave Robicheaux novels

Share Portfolio - Market Data - Exchange Rates - Broker Views - Investment Strategies.

Sad I know, but you'll never go skint if you're making a profit........ 

Guest JudgeMental
Bazza454 - 2007-06-16 3:58 PM
/>

could do with some investment advice will PM you soon.... :-D

Guest JudgeMental
watsoa - 2007-06-16 8:42 PM

Lee Childs, Michael Connelly, Ken Follett, Bernard Cornwell, Wilbur Smith, etc.

Excellent! I cannot recommend James lee Burke highly enough his writing is a revelation....

Will try Ken Follett, Wilbur Smith,

Well, surprisingly enough, a very similar choice.Lee Childs (Jack Reacher), Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch), Jeffery Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme) . . . and Lillian Jackson Braun (The Cat Who . . .) series which makes a nice change from murder and mayhem.My all time best series were the Harry Bosch 'books' - fantastic.Alas, I must admit to the fact that I cheat. I have them all as MP3 audio books which I convert into a CD format and listen to them in the car. It would take me years and years to get through that lot if I had to actually read them :-)

Guest JudgeMental

W2G, great minds think alike... :-D

have read everything from Jeffery Deaver as well 8-)

at the risk of repeating myself - please try James Lee Burke

satisfaction guaranteed

Hi

If you like Lee Childs and Michael Connolly try:-

David Baldicci; Stephen Coonts (the Jake Grafton series).

My all time favorite is Bill Bryson - a short history of nearly everything (i read about every 9 months or just dip in now and again.

Also for something inspirational Jane Tomlinson "You can't take it with you".

Peter

Share Portfolio - Market Data - Exchange Rates - Broker Views - Investment Strategies.

Bazza, that's one of the reasons we got sat T.V., and mainly my phone calls on hols is generally about stocks and some of my daily trades. Nice to know someone else is doing similar boring things.

Thai

Guest JudgeMental
Thai Bry - 2007-06-19 1:34 PM

Bazza, that's one of the reasons we got sat T.V., and mainly my phone calls on hols is generally about stocks and some of my daily trades. Nice to know someone else is doing similar boring things.

Thai

Blimey! *-) no rest for the wicked..... :-D

Eddie

I do do other things when away, but somehow we need the dosh to pay for things, that's what I tell her who must be obeyed anyway. She enjoys it when we make a profit, well who doesn't, but if I lose, well hay ho, it's not the end of the world.

Thai

breakaleg - 2007-06-19 2:24 PM

anyone with dogs, should read 500 mile walkies, by mark wallington, it will reduce you to tears of laughter, out of print now but have seen it on amazon.

this is the only book that i have read twice, and still laughed the second time.

pete

and the sequel 'Destination Lapland' too - which I have just found out is worth £15 on Amazon! I'm rich!

In a similar vein is Tony Hawks' Around Ireland with a Fridge.

I too like Michael Connelly and Jeffery Deaver, also Patricia Cornwell. At the moment I'm reading the last in the Stephen King series of 7 books, the Dark Tower. When I've finished that I've got 2 James Patterson books to read. I love reading in (and outside) the van while hubby watches rubbish TV!

One of the few writers that I've really liked over the years has been John Grisham. Just something about his style that I like. Have tried Tom Clancy & that is really hard going!!!. Will look at some of the suggestions in this thread, to give me something else to read rather than trade reports and such when away.

Any ideas on authors with a similar style would be much appreciated.

Thai

Guest JudgeMental
Thai, Michael Connelly "The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)" a stand alone legal novel. But his "Harry Bosch" detective series are great - if you like that sort of thing....

• 2 months later...
Guest JudgeMental
peterjl - 2007-06-18 8:40 PM

If you like Lee Childs and Michael Connolly try:-

Stephen Coonts (the Jake Grafton series).

Peter

Read a couple of his over the summer. good stuff, very entertaining.

Brought a pile of books and just as well as computer went belly up two days into trip. So no DVD etc....

All in all this has been a poor excuse for a thread. You all must be too busy fiddling with your satellites trying to get reception - very sad. no wonder the libraries are closing down...*-)

I'll quantify this statement, 350 peeps viewed the thread and only about 10 contributed.....*-)

head down now awaiting incoming! :-D

Never read novels, only auto biography's and factual accounts, that's what being an engineer does to your brain, everything has to have a meaning and be of a practical use.

Money, don't think a lot about it, never have really, doing things is more important.

Archived