Water level display.problem

martin r c

can anybody shed any light on my erratic display for the water level indicator.

My 2000 Elddis Autostratus has a display panel that shows the time / current draw/inside-outside temp and this water level in the fresh water tank function.

It should show the water left in the tank as a percentage, ie 0 to 100%, when the button is held in. When it's full it shows anything from a low number to 198 but does show zero when the tank is empty. I have been told the probe in the tank is prone to packing up. Can anybody suggest anything else, or how to change or check the probe.

Cheers

martin r c

Martin

If you can reach the probes through the cleaning cap on the tank, it might be worth trying to clean them.  They are a bit delicate, and I believe there are usually three rods of different lengths.  Have a feel, and if they are slippery to touch there may be an algal build up on the rods (and more generally in the tank).  This can interfere with their effectiveness. 

Dilute Milton or similar (but don't pump this, or any other chlorine based purifier, through the hot water system) will kill the algae, but the residue may remain.  Ideally, get onto Miriad Products website and look for Certisil, which Truma reccommend for ridding water systems of organic contamination, and is chlorine free and safe to put through their heaters. 

After using the purifier, drain the tank out and just wipe the probes off with kitchen towel, or a clean cotton cloth, until all the slipperiness has gone.  Then try filling, and watch the level indicator as you go.  This may provide an effective cure.

We have an Elddis Autoquest 100. This problem seems to be a "feature" of Explorer group vans. We had the sensor changed under warranty but it made not a blind bit of difference. A lot seems to depend on how level the van is. A little bit off level can make a big difference.

We soon got used to the amount of water we use roughly each day in different circumstances so have a fair idea of when to top up - certainly can't rely on the gauge.

Guess the amount of water left is a party game for wet days :-D

Graham

Thanks Graham.

I now drain the waste into a 15L container.and guess how much is left of the 50 LTS in the fresh tank -- hours of fun >:-(

Thing is - it should work.

It does work under about half a tank.and it is better if the van is level side to side and front to back.

Martin

Hi I have the same trouble with the gauge on my Compass Suntor 115 purchased new last December been back once to get it sorted but it seems to be rather irratic regarding the water level readings so its back again to try and get it fixed one thing is it always reads full until its down to about 10 / 15 ltrs then draw off a couple of ltrs then it shows empty.

In my experience, very few of these water level meters work well. They are based on passing a low voltage tiny current aeither along rods or to buttons installed on the tank wall, and the current is too easily shorted out by water on the walls of the tank rather than the actual stored water.

Mine usually works well after the van has been parked for a couple of hours allowing the water to drain off the tank walls and contacts.

Of course, what is really needed is a porper float gauge just like that in your fuel tank. The problem is that fresh tanks do vary significantly in depth so several gauges would need to be offered. If anyone knows of a supplier, please let us know.

Dave, would it be possible to adapt an (unused) fuel tank float gauge?

Mel E

====

In my experience, very few of these water level meters work well. They are based on passing a low voltage tiny current aeither along rods or to buttons installed on the tank wall, and the current is too easily shorted out by water on the walls of the tank rather than the actual stored water.

Mine usually works well after the van has been parked for a couple of hours allowing the water to drain off the tank walls and contacts.

Of course, what is really needed is a porper float gauge just like that in your fuel tank. The problem is that fresh tanks do vary significantly in depth so several gauges would need to be offered. If anyone knows of a supplier, please let us know.

Dave, would it be possible to adapt an (unused) fuel tank float gauge?

Mel E

====

Well ,I have just removed this probe and its 2. 8" long thin probes in a plastic holder and a couple of wires.both probes covered in scale and grime.

So I cleaned them with one of those plastic pan cleaners.

Touch wood, now it seems to work ok. :-D :-D :-D

I assume they work on resistance/sending a current between the probes

and the water. so if they are covered in scale,they won,t work.

We shall see.

Thanks for all the replys.

Martin

Archived