shower tray split

njw

I have a shower tray with a 1/2 inch split in it ,is it possible to repair the tray from the outside or dose it have to be removed. there is some move ment underneath the tray.I did think of boring a small hole in the top of the tray so i could fill it up with that expanding foam ,

njw - 2007-06-18 8:50 PM I have a shower tray with a 1/2 inch split in it ,is it possible to repair the tray from the outside or dose it have to be removed. there is some move ment underneath the tray.I did think of boring a small hole in the top of the tray so i could fill it up with that expanding foam ,

Hi Neil,

This subject has been discussed a few times in the past.

Suggest that you use the search facility (at the top of the page) and type in "shower tray", set the date limit as "all posts". Hopefully the info there will help.

Guest peter
njw - 2007-06-18 8:50 PM

I have a shower tray with a 1/2 inch split in it ,is it possible to repair the tray from the outside or dose it have to be removed. there is some move ment underneath the tray.I did think of boring a small hole in the top of the tray so i could fill it up with that expanding foam ,

Do a search on this forum for shower tray. It's quite common.

You could stick on some 'Duck repair tape' for now to stop any water getting in til you repair it. Like is already said, lots of back posts on this subject. P.S. "stop any one wearing shoes in the bathroom, or put in a good thick foam backed carpet" after you have fixed it.

After reading one of many threads on the subject I decided to have a good look at my shower tray.

I was quite shocked. I had one long crack hidden by the ledge and several star-shaped cracks.

Solution: expanding foam

We got a can of expanding foam, some small cable ties and one of those things used to pump balls with a car pump (i.e. it has a thin 2mm tube and a thicker base that fits into a normal car pump - looks a bit like a blunt needle - search on eBay for "BALL PUMP NEEDLE PIN VALVE ADAPTOR" or look for item 290130086319). This enabled us to drill small (2mm) holes in the shower tray.

We sprayed foam into these holes, starting at the furthest hole moving closer to the door. Remember the gloves!!!

Prior to injecting the foam we had prepared a solid wooden base and some heavy bricks. We put newspaper on the sticky-foamy floor (this stuff gets everywhere!) and put the bricks on. The floor was already bowing up due to the pressure of the foam. The board & bricks helped to keep it flat. I was nervous about the bowed floor so put in at least 50Kg of bricks.

After a week we removed the bricks and cleaned up.

Very happy with the results :-D

Because the holes are so mall you can hadly see them.

The floor is slightly raised but works very well. Now it doesn't bend when you stand on it.

It's still flat.

If you use this solution you must remember to use the cable ties to secure the plastic tube on both ends: on the can and on the "needle" adapter. You might want to remember this bit of prep

:D

If you have any other questions I would be glad to help.

Roger

Archived