12v fans

Champstar

Hi Champster & welcome.

Unless there is a bit of a cool breeze, then all you are doing with these fans is circulating the warm air about your van.Some people find that having some kind of breeze, albeit warm air, is better than sitting around with no circulation at all.

Sorry that I can't offer any more useful advice than this.

Thai

Hi ,a fan will only move air around, it wont cool the air but they are better than nothing.

I have a battery one that takes 4 D size cells and you can run it from a power adaptor.

if you have a powered vent / ie omnivent in the roof ,on the blow in setting, its quite good at providing cooler air from outside.

Those clip on fans that plug into a fag lighter socket work quite well if you are on hook up. or the engine is running.

But most of the time a use a 240v flat panel fan.stood in front of a open window. that works well on the shady side of the van or the window under the roll out awning (when it,s out).

Also the summer setting on the blown air(fan only) makes a difference as the tubing for the ducted air is under the van where its cooler.

Martin

All correct, which means that turning on the heater fans will be of little, or no, benefit.  You do need to be in the moving airstream to benefit.

Usually, the coolest air is beneath trees.  The moisture evaporating off the leaves cools them and they, in turn, cool the air around them which sinks to ground level.  Thus, you get shade and cooler air together, which is why it always seems a bit cooler in woodland.

There is a cool air system on some Euramobils, which use a floor mounted fan drawing air in from under the van.  I assume this works best the day after you arrive, when the ground beneath the van has cooled off a bit!

Had one for years and wouldn't be without it. Clipped on the bulkhead by the bed and blowing over you is bliss when it's really stinking hot at night. Mine is an oscilator and the only thing that went wrong was the wire connecting the power broke at the soldered joint. Two minutes and fixed. You need one of those very handy gas powered soldering irions of course.

We've got one, which we fix on the dashboard for travelling and in the back when camped (I fitted a lighter socket in the back specially).

True, it's not like having aircon, but we really do feel cooler when it's on.

Go for it - they're only a few quid!

Tony

I'm a fan of 12v! My van would be useless without it!!!!

Seriously though, these fans are better than nothing, no they're not as good as air con but they can be quite useful and are cheap if that's all you've got, better than nowt.

Mel B - 2007-06-19 8:17 PM

I'm a fan of 12v! My van would be useless without it!!!!

Seriously though, these fans are better than nothing, no they're not as good as air con but they can be quite useful and are cheap if that's all you've got, better than nowt.

... and Lidl have them on offer at just over 3UKP each! Just bought two.

Roger

Made a fan for internal use back in the mid 70,s which we still carry today. Three speeds, Off - SLOW and Manic!.

But after 20 minutes it gets turned off as it compromises the tranquility. This is the biggest downside of any aircon system - the bl...y racket!

So, park in the shade, open all the windows and have one of those water spray mist generators often used by gardeners to distribute insectiside in their green houses.

I was touring in Spain & Portugal last year and took a desk top oscillating fan (240 volt). I stayed on campsites with hook up mostly and found the fan perfectly adequate. In fact, I got up regularly at 03.00 feeling distinctly chilly and turned it off !

On the odd occasion when I wild camped, I stayed by the sea ensuring a cool on-shore breeze or in a shady forest.

Only trouble with trees when parked underneath is some give off a sticky residue which can be a swine to wash off when it gets baked on for a few weeks abroad, and the mess it makes on the roll out is unbeleavable. Together with all that, our feathered friends usualy contribute there offerings as well. ;-) After last years soiling which took a week or more to get most off I will now park in the open with the blind out, and if it gets too hot maybe find the local bar with A.C. and an ice cold beer. chas

Champstar - 2007-06-19 9:41 PM

Sounds like a bargain at didls maybe take a look is the offer still on?

There were quite a few when I went today - price is £3.99. They are the traditional 6ins oscillating fan with a grip or plate fixing.

Also for those after a bargain, Woolies are selling a 12v air compressor 'for pressures up to 100psi'. The make is RAC and has been reduced from £39.99 to £19.99. Mine works fine (up to 65psi), a bit slow but great for an emergency.

Roger (just home after a good shop) :-D

Just letting you know that I have bought a 12v fan called "endless breeze". It is american and used in rvs but it is flat and square and low power for those not on electric. It is not cheap but as I am a lady of that particular age that has these horrible "flushes" then it is essential for France this year as I really, really, really suffered last summer and cannot cope with that again.

I bought mine from Outdoor bits. There was one other company that stocked them but they were dearer. Ordered it Sunday night and it was with me Tuesday morning. It has on/off switch and 3 settings.

Here is the link

http://www.outdoorbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=78

Download the pdf file on that page to look at the info. It is quiet and its flat and light so easy to store. Again not cheap but gents its worth getting it for the lady in your life who may be going through the dreaded changes that we seem to be plaqued with when we turn a corner in our life.

I am not a salesperson or any links so don't worry. I read about this fan on a forum and it was suggested there so to me it is a life saver and being 12v means I can use when wild camping too.

Chris

Chris

Hadn't thought about that as a use..my OH might find it useful. I just wanted a fan to cool down as I can sit in the sun without burning so find myself in the van alot without any means to cool down.

Suppose I will have to go back to lidls for another fan now!!!

rogerrichards - 2007-06-21 7:10 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-06-21 5:14 PM

Chris

That's really good!  A portable Fantastic Fan.  Thanks for the info!  I think we'll get one!

It will have to be incredibly fantastic for £80 (!) Or am I missing something? Roger

The answer, I think, is quality!

Archived