12v fans

Champstar

Champstar - 2007-06-21 7:56 PM At that price I could have lidls fans all over the van...maybe not enough 12v socketts!!!! plus it draws more power at 3amp Stick to lidls if it aint any good then only £4 wasted (lol)

Well, its bound to use a bit more power, it's a 12" fan (whereas the Lidl one is 6"), which I think means it will shift about 4 times the amount of air of the Lidl.  This is the American "Fantastic Fan", that is usually found as a permanently roof-mounted supply/extract fan, in a freestanding holder.  It is a high quality unit, quiet in operation, proper motor bearings, etc etc, and made for a long service life.  In the end, yer pays yer money!

Thanks for the tip off about Lidl. That's saved a few pounds as I was going to buy one for a lot more at a caravan accessory palce. Still plenty in stock at our local store this evening (though we spent some of the savings on other 'bargains'!

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-21 8:35 PM
.  It is a high quality unit, quiet in operation, proper motor bearings, etc etc, and made for a long service life.  In the end, yer pays yer money!
You are quite correct Brian, but what really irritates me is that they are $79 in the States - about 40 quid. That seems a reasonable price to pay for a half-decent fan. Even accounting for import tax and transport etc. etc. £80 quid is a rip-off. Retailers in this country just seem to replace the $ with a pound sign.An old moan I know, but still a valid one.http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2013498/p-2013498/N-111+600018346/c-10107RegardsRoger

Reasons why I spent that much:-

Needed a good fan that could be turned on and off as it would be connected to the battery via a 12v extension lead. Three speeds.

I am a really light sleeper so needed a quite one.

Low wattage.

Fixed bed with no shelf for an oscillating fan. This one can be propped against the headboard/window as it is square and narrow.

Can't afford air-con!

Don't stay on many campsites in France so need to be independant of electric but needed a strong fan too.

Stores in box under the bed and takes less room than the big oscilating fan.

Had a small 12v fan in the cab and rigged it up by the bed last year but realised there was no on/off switch so couldn't cope with that in the early hours of the morning getting up to connect/disconnect it. And it was very noisy.

Had such a miserable time when the dreaded "flushes" started in France last summer that I decided that I was not going to suffer like that again.

I would definately buy the Lidl one in other circumstances but needs must this year. I want to enjoy my hols and this looked like the answer!!!

Lidl and Aldi are brilliant for offers and we are there every week. If you want another treat Aldi have a portable 12v dvd player with screen for £50. It is a matt black finish and comes in its own travel bag too. Hubby went and got one today. A good buy and smart looking too.

CHRIS

:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$

chris - 2007-06-21 10:49 PM

Aldi have a portable 12v dvd player with screen for £50. It is a matt black finish and comes in its own travel bag too. Hubby went and got one today. A good buy and smart looking too.

CHRIS

:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$

Oh no!!! More shopping tomorrow. :-D

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input/advice on the subject of fans..Everyone has different needs and aspirations but at least we can discuss things without ranting and making cheap comments about each other unlike other forums.

Thanks all

rogerrichards - 2007-06-21 10:42 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-06-21 8:35 PM
.  It is a high quality unit, quiet in operation, proper motor bearings, etc etc, and made for a long service life.  In the end, yer pays yer money!

You are quite correct Brian, but what really irritates me is that they are $79 in the States - about 40 quid. That seems a reasonable price to pay for a half-decent fan. Even accounting for import tax and transport etc. etc. £80 quid is a rip-off. Retailers in this country just seem to replace the $ with a pound sign. An old moan I know, but still a valid one. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2013498/p-2013498/N-111+600018346/c-10107 Regards Roger

Just another example of how "our closest ally" treats us.  Globalisation - forget it!  Same applies to computer software, about the same price in Sterling as in USD, which means about 50% more expensive at today's exchange rates!

Still, it really is our own fault.  What is it that is so technically complex about a fan that we can't make one and the Americans can?! 

Someone recently gave my wife a helium filled "Birthday" baloon for a bit of fun.  Basically just a round, shiny, plastic bag.  Made in - yep, the USA.  However, I assume the helium was home produced, - unless of course they're just letting them go along the East coast of the US and someone nets them as they float in over Cornwall!  Why, pray, do we need to import plastic baloons fron the US?  Oh yes, silly me; forgot!  We now have a service economy, don't we?  Mustn't actually make things any more, must we?  Just import them.  Rant over!

Ha ha,

You lot made me take a visit to see what was on offer in Lidls as well as Aldi and I ended up with the oscillating fan ......and a radio...........and 2 towel car seat covers.................and a pair of walking shoes.

Guess we all love a bargain.

Whilst my big fan works off the leisure battery I can have the little fan running off the engine battery for hubby. Best of both worlds. (Mine is the big fan and hubby gets the little one (lol) )

Don't worry, I won't leave the little fan on for long and we have a battery master to compensate.

Chris

Archived