Part Exchange

Noddy

Thanks Clive H

Unfortunately time is short - do I have to order this evolution 2 from Difflock or can it be bought locally?

How much would I need for a Peugeot Boxer 1900 Turbo Gearbox.

Is is a simple job to drain and refill the gearbox?

regards

Martyn

Questions.

You paid a deposit of £500 but nothing was signed between you?  What record of your agreement did you have?  Is there nothing that acknowledges receipt of your deposit against the Hobby?  This seems very odd.

By implication, you seem to have cancelled the order for the Hobby, transferring this to a Hymer.  Was your deposit returned, or is this also deemed transferred to the Hymer?  Was a new order for the Hymer written out, or was the word Hobby crossed out on the original, and the word Hymer merely substituted?  Again, this seems very odd.

Notwithstanding these apparent anomolies, it is your part exchange that seems to be the main the issue.  It has developed a gearbox problem.  You seem very convinced the answer is a new box.  Why? 

Is it not possible that the culprit is poor clutch adjustment, or a sticking plate?  Has the problem been definitively diagnosed, or are you making assumptions?

Have you driven the van much this year?  Could it be that without regular use, the splines the clutch plate slides along are a bit rusty, and it just needs more use to polish them up and free the plate for full disengagement?

Why not give Brownhills the option of either taking the van as it is, possibly with a reduced p/x offer, or you get a guaranteed repair on the box at your own expense?  After all, they have their own mechanics (they say) and may be able to do the repair cheaper than you can get it done.

However, I wouldn't embark this before they have the Hymer, and you are ready to finalise the p/x.  Then, they'll look at your van, with the aid of a moisture meter, and may come back to you with other things you haven't yet noticed.  So, tell them at that time the box has begun crunching a bit, and ask them to take that into account while checking your van over.  They may just decide it is unimportant, they may make an issue over it, they may find water ingress, or something else.  If the van is deemed OK, they'll take it at the price.  If it isn't, they'll reduce their offer.  If they say there is a problem with the gearbox, and drop their offer by more than it will cost you to get it fixed, tell them you'll get it done yourself and bring the van back with the problem fixed, a repairer's receipt, and a warranty on the repair.  What have you to lose?  If the basis of the deal is an unsecured p/x, and they reject the p/x, the deal fails.  No liability to you, and you should get your full deposit back.

Hi Brian

Thanks for your input.

I ordered the new Hobby at the NEC in February on the understanding it would be delivered May at the latest. I stipulated this to Brownhills although nothing is in writing and it therefore cant be proved. I did sign an agreement and handed over a £500 deposit via my credit card.

after May came and went I lost it with Brownhills because I had got the money together and after leaving messages all over and getting no reply I visited them and gave them the ultimatum that I either wanted my money back or I would look around their yard and order a replacement there and then. I looked at the new Hymer Camp which they had there and was told that I could have that one. A new agreement was drawn up but I was never asked to sign it?? I do have a copy.

As for the gearbox - I have used the van several times and it was only last weekend whilst I was away that i noticed second gear grating - it may well be something simple but I havent got time to find out now as it goes in on Saturday. I dont think they will find much else wrong with it and definately no water ingress. It has loads of extras which Im leaving on it too. It has only done 24,000 miles.

We never intended to change our van but having seen the new Hobby and after chatting to the salesman we decided on the spot to go for it.

I described the van in good condition(it is 2001). I would not be broken hearted if I had to keep it. Brownhills have had plenty of chances to see it as each time i have visited it has been in full view of their sales office.

I also wonder that as I paid the deposit by Credit Card whether the card company would be liable to repay me in the event of a dispute?

Hope it doesnt come to that but had the deal gone through at the agreed time this would not have happened.

regards

Martyn

You'll need to check for yourself, but I think motorhome prices are beyond the cut off price for Credit Card sales.  They are also outside the price range of the small claims court, so you'd have to go to the "proper" court, which is much more expensive - especially if you lose.  Tread soft!

Guest peter
Brian Kirby - 2007-06-20 7:25 PM
peter - 2007-06-19 11:18 PM Don't get too excited Noddy. That picture of Michele is actually Hayley Mills :-D Michele really looks more like Dolly Parton. :D

Ah yes, but you ain't Quentin Crisp - 'cos I've met him!

Ah..ha.... that would explain your funny walk then Brian. (lol)

Mooney.gif.34d49fc640700bae4b116eece8d6c101.gif

Guest peter
Mel B - 2007-06-20 8:32 PM

Noddy

Don't suppose you've had it checked to see if it's just the linkage playing up? I know you had problems before but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same thing again.

As for Michele ... We're still waiting for a more recent picture but we're a bit afraid that Peter will get too excited by it as at his age he can't take it.

Oi! Mel I'll have you know my heart's as strong as an Ox.

peter - 2007-06-21 9:07 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-06-20 7:25 PM
peter - 2007-06-19 11:18 PM Don't get too excited Noddy. That picture of Michele is actually Hayley Mills :-D Michele really looks more like Dolly Parton. :D

Ah yes, but you ain't Quentin Crisp - 'cos I've met him!

Ah..ha.... that would explain your funny walk then Brian. (lol)

Walk's fine thanks Peter!  It was at a mixed gender party, and there were many others present!  A bit like I imagine an evening with Noel Coward might have been.  Priceless!

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-21 8:40 PM

You'll need to check for yourself, but I think motorhome prices are beyond the cut off price for Credit Card sales.  They are also outside the price range of the small claims court, so you'd have to go to the "proper" court, which is much more expensive - especially if you lose.  Tread soft!

Brian ... I think he's on about the £500 deposit not the whole cost of the motorhome! There's no way Brownhills will let you pay for the whole thing on a credit card, they'd have to pay too much commission! 8-)

Well, Mel, I'm open to correction, but my reading of the legislation, which I checked a couple of years ago before putting the deposit for our van on a card, was that where the sum paid is a deposit, it is the full value of the goods that count, and not just the sum deposited.

Not sure if we're at cross-purposes here, Mel, so I'll try again.  If you pay for something by credit card, you only have protection under the 1974 Consumer Credit Act if your total purchase is under £25,000. 

When I checked in 2005, what I was told was this.  If you put down a deposit on an item costing more than £25,000, even though your deposit may be less than £25,000, the deposit itself will not be protected under the Consumer Cradit Act 1997, because it is the value of the purchase that counds, and not the sum deposited.

So, buy a £26,000 motorhome and put down a £500 deposit on a credit card, and the deposit is not protected under that act.  The purchase is not a controlled credit purchase under the act.  It does not matter how the balance is paid, cash, HP, credit card, part exchange, or Monoply money.

Buy a £24,000 motorhome and put down a £500 deposit on a credit card, and the deposit is protected under the act.  This purchase is a controlled credit purchase under the act, even though not all of the purchase is on credit.  Again, it does not matter how the balance is paid.

Since then, the Consumer Credit Act 2006 has come into force, which amends parts of the 1974 act, but does not fully supercede it, and I do not know how/if the 1974 act has been altered in these respects. So, I thought it worth pointing out that little pitfall, so that the present position could be checked (Trading Standards should be able to advise).  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Well after all that and a couple of sleepless nights I took my van into Brownhills. They completed all the paperwork and the question was asked - have you had any problems with it to which I replied "2nd gear grates a little". This was just a tick box completed by the salesman. I picked up my new Hymer after having been shown round it. I was given the keys gave them my old ones and away I went!

AT NO TIME DID ANYONE ASK WHERE MY VAN WAS PARKED LET ALONE VIEWED IT!

regards

a very relieved

Martyn

Noddy - 2007-06-23 2:44 PM I picked up my new Hymer after having been shown round it. I was given the keys gave them my old ones and away I went!! regards a very relieved Martyn

Martyn, I'm pleased for you and your new Hymer. As we are also Hymer owners and have been for quite a while, this new one of ours being our third, please feel free to contact me if you require any further help on the Hymer side of things.

Thai

Noddy - 2007-06-23 2:44 PM Well after all that and a couple of sleepless nights I took my van into Brownhills. They completed all the paperwork and the question was asked - have you had any problems with it to which I replied "2nd gear grates a little". This was just a tick box completed by the salesman. I picked up my new Hymer after having been shown round it. I was given the keys gave them my old ones and away I went! AT NO TIME DID ANYONE ASK WHERE MY VAN WAS PARKED LET ALONE VIEWED IT! regards a very relieved Martyn

Good for you.  Makes you think, though, doesn't it.  Priced unseen, part exchanged unseen! 

You needn't have had a van at all, just a set of keys from a scrap dealer.  Good way to get £15K off your next van folks!

Bit unscrupulous but, as they say, caveat emptor! 

More seriously, no wonder people have problem on vans they've bought if that really is how they work.  I wonder if they even get tested in any way before being sold on?  Presumably not.  Let the next owner spot the problems and, if they cut up rough, eventually, and rather grudgingly, fix the problem.  Sounds strangely reminiscent of that famous old firm of car dealers Bodgitt and Leggitt!

Lets just hope you encountered a singularly lazy salesman.  Enjoy you new van, won't you!

Thanks everyone on here for your thoughts and advice.

I have spent the rest of the day checking out the Hymer and all seems to be ok - though a lot more complicated than our Compass Aventgarde- so no doubt more expensive to fix when it goes wrong?

Regarding the gearbox problem with the Compass/Peugeot I have been given two possible causes, one according to a garage friend of mine is that water can, in exreme cases, get into the gearbox and the other because we tow a boat/a small rib that I can move single handedly.

Personally I think it was a Friday Afternoon Job!

Maybe I should post my next question on another thread and no doubt it has been covered before?

Please advise where I can get a towbar fitted?

Thai Bry I will definately be in touch regarding the Hymer

regards

Martyn

Just a thought as to why Brownhills might not have checked out your van. Seeing as you bought your Compass form them originally and then took them to Court to get it fixed last time you had a problem with the gear box, it should rally still have been in good condition and not causing any fault, so maybe they didn't decide to do anything about it so as not to cause any more aggro. They probably didn't want to have to visit Court again ....! :-S

Maybe you are right Mel but no mention was ever made that I had dealt with them in the past. No doubt they still have me on their records albeit they would not be allowed to make any mention of our problems in the past under the computer data act.

When I mentioned the part exchange in the first place I was under the impression that mileage played a large part in the sale - mine had done 23,000!

Anyway all parties are happy - I certainly am so no harm done.

I would imagine they have the facility to fix any problem no matter what at a fraction of the price I could and once they do so, whoever they sell on to would be getting a good deal.

regards

Martyn

Just to end the story - I popped into Brownhills today to pick up a table clip which they forgot to fit?

I had a quick look round and believe it or not my van is already on their forcourt at £18995.00!

There is no way they would have been able to fix the gearbox in that time.

regards

Martyn

Noddy - 2007-06-25 5:56 PM Just to end the story - I popped into Brownhills today to pick up a table clip which they forgot to fit? I had a quick look round and believe it or not my van is already on their forcourt at £18995.00! There is no way they would have been able to fix the gearbox in that time. regards Martyn

Watch this space!!!

Archived