Anyone Use Skype

enodreven

Yes it is possible to talk to other Skype users for free when away from home, provided you can find a WiFi connection. If you want to phone a land line or mobile, you will have to put in some credit, but I understand the calls are cheaper. I have spoken to other Skype users from abroad.

Regards Marcob

I use Skype from home on the desktop but haven't used it when away because, as Marcob says, you need wifi (or some other broadband service).

I've called friends/relatives in Cyprus, Canada and South Africa, as well as in this country, using both Skype to Skype and Skype to phone.

Skype to Skype with South Africa has been the least successful so far because of SA broadband speeds which are a bit slower than needed. I spoke to my cousin in Cape Town, who has just got Skype, last weekend and we both had to turn off our webcams in order to hear each other - even then it had a touch of the Norman Colliers.

When my cousin was setting up Skype I called her on her phone to give he some advice and the cost was only 3.9p per minute (I think normal phone to phone rate is about 20p).

Graham

I use VoipStunt. Calls to mobiles about 14p per minute. You need to put in £10 credit, but calls to landlines worldwide are FREE.

Best thing about it is the other person doesn't need to be online as you're calling their landline.

Skype charges about 1p per minute to call a landline plus a connection charge of 3p, and 16p per minute for mobiles.

Hi, Derek

Do you need a wifi/broadband connection for VoipStunt,

Brian

derek500 - 2007-06-20 6:59 PM

I use VoipStunt. Calls to mobiles about 14p per minute. You need to put in £10 credit, but calls to landlines worldwide are FREE.

Best thing about it is the other person doesn't need to be online as you're calling their landline.

Skype charges about 1p per minute to call a landline plus a connection charge of 3p, and 16p per minute for mobiles.

Hi

Yes I can confirm that you can use Skype on your laptop whilst abroad (or in the UK for that matter )providing you are connected to a suitable internet connection.

I spend most of my time outside of the UK and use Skype daily.

Computer to computer calls are FREE, you can also call a landline or a mobile number using "skype out" where you need to buy credit before using.

Calls typically to a European landline number are charged at 2p per minute including VAT.

All International call charge rates can be found on Skype's website.

Good luck.

Derek

enodreven - 2007-06-20 8:11 PM

Hi, Derek

Brian

Yes. It uses the same 'Voice Over Internet Protocol' (VOIP) as Skype.

I used to use Skype from here in Spain, but as my wife's parents couldn't cope with their computer and got rid of it, we looked for another programme that we could use to 'phone their landline for free.

There are other similar services to Voipstunt, like Voipbuster and Voipcheap that also offer FREE landline calls.

Hi,

Can you use a Skype phone on both services or do you have to purchase seperate units

Its just that Netto have a USB Skype telephone on offer for 9.99 at the moment

derek500 - 2007-06-20 9:34 PM

enodreven - 2007-06-20 8:11 PM

Hi, Derek

Brian

Yes. It uses the same 'Voice Over Internet Protocol' (VOIP) as Skype.

I used to use Skype from here in Spain, but as my wife's parents couldn't cope with their computer and got rid of it, we looked for another programme that we could use to 'phone their landline for free.

There are other similar services to Voipstunt, like Voipbuster and Voipcheap that also offer FREE landline calls.

Almost all VOIP phones will be compatible with most (if not all) VOIP services. I use Tesco Internet phone for outgoing calls from my workshop and its slashed my phone bill. I've not tried it yet when we've been away in the 'van, might try it at Lincoln using my mobile phone (3G) as a modem 'cos I can smurf the net for just £1 a day through my mobile.

D.

Hi,

I purchased one of the Netto's phones its a Topcom Webt@lker 100 and it works perfectly with Skype all of the buttons function, but when I use it with Voipstunt the sound level buttons work but the numbers don't i have to use the computer keyboard or mouse but it still works fine for making calls

Just a few questions,

Can people on normal landlines or mobiles actually call me on my Internet phone.

What is the approximate cost for calling the UK when you are in France or Spain using Voipstunt or something similar ?

Can and How do other computer users contact one another using Voip etc

Dave Newell - 2007-06-23 8:57 AM

Almost all VOIP phones will be compatible with most (if not all) VOIP services. I use Tesco Internet phone for outgoing calls from my workshop and its slashed my phone bill. I've not tried it yet when we've been away in the 'van, might try it at Lincoln using my mobile phone (3G) as a modem 'cos I can smurf the net for just £1 a day through my mobile.

D.

£1.00!!!! I assume this is a 'bolt-on' with your normal phone contract then Dave?

Archived