What Make of "A" Frame

enodreven

Hi enodreven

We use a Car-A-Tow but I have not seen the Towtal one to make a comparison.

I know we don't want to get into the 'legality' of towing with an A-frame but there are certain things you should wish to see on any A-frame you get.

Obviously there needs to be the usual links to brakes (I simply don't think there is a car that can be towed 'legally' on an unbraked frame as if brakes are fitted to the 'trailer' they need to be working - regardless of the weight) and lights but I would also want to see a breakaway cable, handbrake and either a jockey wheel or skid beneath the bar. The Car-A-Tow has these things.

We tow a Toyota Yaris (occasionaly) and have had no problems so far - contrary to popular belief I can even reverse the car if necessary.

Regards, David

What I cannot understand with A frames and the law is , if I was driving without any lights or numberplate, I dont think it would be too long before being pulled over by the law, and yet most experienced police drivers, who know the driving regulations backwards, do nothing in the case of a towing A frame. It seems so strange in a country with so many rules and regulations that there appears to be a complete blank of knowledge by our noble enforcers of the road. Perhaps its just one rule to many. Sorry Enodreven about going slightly off what you asked. chas

Don't worry Chas, its just IMPOSSIBLE not to slip into the legal situation when this subject is raised, even Mel B couldn't resist the temptation, LoL

chas - 2007-06-21 7:32 AM

What I cannot understand with A frames and the law is , if I was driving without any lights or numberplate, I dont think it would be too long before being pulled over by the law, and yet most experienced police drivers, who know the driving regulations backwards, do nothing in the case of a towing A frame. It seems so strange in a country with so many rules and regulations that there appears to be a complete blank of knowledge by our noble enforcers of the road. Perhaps its just one rule to many. Sorry Enodreven about going slightly off what you asked. chas

Hi,

just had a frame fitted to a Toyota Aygo.

Towtal insisted that a brake cable could not be fitted and I had to have a Brake Buddy.

Chris Cox was reluctant to wire into the Aygo lights.

Pro Tow / Car a Tow did a very good job with brakes cabled and lights wired.

Hi,

Sounds like Car a Tow did a good job, if its not a rude question how much did it cost ?

hymer634 - 2007-06-21 8:10 AM

Hi,

Towtal insisted that a brake cable could not be fitted and I had to have a Brake Buddy.

Clive,

The engine running is only necessary to get the brake servo working. The brakes will still work without servo assistance - they just need a lot more pedal pressure (except Citroen Xantias, C5s and C6s where the braking is hydraulic and no engine means absolutely no brakes at all).

The question is whether you can achieve the legally required retardation without the servo. Car-a-Tow claim you can, but you'd have to test each car individually to be sure. But with 3 tonnes plus of motorhome in front, it's not impossible!

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

I agree its not impossible but the pedal force required is unlikely to be achieved with the simple overrun front ends they use. Their are electrically powered systems to "liven up" the braking system but they require significant mods to the car.

Its may well be more effective and easier to attach the overrun cable to the hand brake system? But would only 2 wheel braking be legal?

Silly me, A frames arn,t legal anyway!

hi clive , there are on the market somewhere electric pumps specially for the job which take ten minutes to fit into the brake servo line can,t think where ive seen them. i use an adapted small electric pump with a switched 12 volt supply to provide servo assistance (not that the tow car realy needs it,but it can be switched on from the cab if i get a pull from our friends in blue)

regards mark

Thanks Hymer634, that's helpful to plan my budget for when we purchase our Fiat Panda.

and thanks to everyone for not allowing the thread to digressing into a legal issue

hymer634 - 2007-06-21 4:47 PM

Hi,

the cost at Pro Tow/Car a Tow was £960 + an extra £20 for a jockey wheel. It's more expensive than Chris Cox, but I think it's a more professional looking job.

Thanks again I will give them a ring next week

hymer634 - 2007-06-21 8:26 PM

Hi endroven . Car a Tow said that they could not wire in to the lights on the new Panda. They would supply a lighting board instead. You might want to check with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Hymer634

I may be reading this wrong so sorry in advance if I am, but did you have the BrakeBuddy fitted ?? and if you did or anyone else has one fitted can you reverse with these or do they need disconnecting first ?

Thanks again

Brian

hymer634 - 2007-06-21 8:10 AM

Hi,

Hi guys, seen a new braking system being sold at the Lincoln show, it costs £1000 for fitting and the "A" frame.

The guy fits an electric brake load sensing valve into the towing vehicle, and then uses a 13pin trailer socket to connect it to your car, just inside the bonnet is an electric brake servo connected into your existing brake system. He says that you can easily achieve 50% braking with this system, indeed he claims that if you do an emergency stop the car will too.

Had a good look at the system and it seems well engineered, my only complaint is the new pipework inside the bonnet isn't very tidy.

I think what this system does is to remove one of the issues over compliance with the regs, namely the brakes not coming on while you reverse, which does happen with an overrun system. It still leaves the issue of reversing any distance under control.

He will also sell you a s/h car converted, at the show he's got a nice 06 Citroen Clio (7000 miles) for £6000 converted

At this moment he doesn't have a system for air brakes but he reckons it's on the back burner.

http://www.greenerplanetmotors.com/

Olley

First of all the legal issues: the braking system of the trailer (for that is what your car becomes when attached to the rear of your motorhome by an "A" frame) MUST be operated by a MECHANICAL over-run device, not electrical to meet trailer regs (although I think we all know by now that a car on an "A" frame doesn't comply in several key areas anyway).

Secondly I would want to see some proof of this man's qualifications as an engineer and some sort of type approval certification for his modified braking system. I doubt very much if he carries professional liability insurance to cover these mods for one simple reason, its too damned expensive! My local motor factors can no longer make brake pipes up to order because of insurance restrictions despite having been making them for over 15 years with not a single insurance issue arising. What testing has been done on this system and by what professional bodies?

And that's all academic as its illegal anyway! 8-)

D.

Oh by the way, its Renault that build the Clio not Citroen, unless of course he's come up with some sort of hybrid between the two 8-)

Hi Dave, do I dectect a slight wobbly here? (lol) as my daughter would say "take a chill pill".

All that you say may be correct, but I doubt many of the "A" frame makers have type approval and insurance either or are qualified engineers. So he's no different to them.

As I said its well engineered (I did a 5 year apprenticeship and 25 years in the trade, so have some idea what the word means) But his pipework needs tidying up.

Irespective of anybodys views, people will continue to buy them and have them fitted. (Unless plod starts stopping people) so having a rant about the legalities seems pointless.

Olley

No Olley, not having a "rant" at all, just pointing out a few facts of life regarding towing cars on "A" frames and the possible legal implications of modifications to the braking system of your tow car by someone who is possibly not qualified, skilled or insured for such work. If you wish to take the risk that's up to you but if anyone else is considering it I think they should be fully aware of all the facts first.

The fact that so many people choose to ignore what is now quite widespread knowledge regarding the legal issues of "A" frame towing is up to them but if an ordinary "Joe Bloggs" with no engineering experience was to buy one of these systems and it failed who does he come back to?

D.

Hi,

Thanks Olley for the suggestion and link I will try to have a look later

Please don't let this digress into the legal issue, now back to the 2nd question I raised can you reverse the vehicle with a BrakeBuddy fitted, I think my question is do the brakes go on with a Brakebuddy when you start to reverse ?? does anyone know ??

Brian

Hi, Dave

I read the point you raised regarding the braking system employed must be mechanical, how would that work with the Brake Assist system on my Mercedes from what I can understand it uses an electrical system to apply the brakes in an emergency situation and if its good enough form Mercedes surly an electrical system would be good enough for a trailer ??

Brian you are talking about two separate entities there. The assist system you refer to will start to apply the brakes only in an emergency situation, it is not the sole means of applying the brakes. Trailer regs clearly state the brakes must be operated by a mechanical over-run device and the Brake Buddy does not meet this criteria. Then again as so many choose to ignore the legal issues of "A" frame towing why would a little detail like an illegal braking system make any difference?

D.

Archived