Topping up in situ

Geoff Bell

I would have thought this topic had already been covered but my search has not come up with anything, so can someone suggest the best method to top up my 100 ltr on board water tank on site after the initial fill is used without moving the MH.

Have I got to buy one of these rolly polly things like what caravaners use and then pump it into my tank. If so whats the best container and pump to buy. I was wondering if anyone makes a chordless rechargeable pump rather than pluging in to my 12V , Just a thought it would be more convenient.

Than turning the seats around, stabalising the TV, disconnecting the mains lead, pouring away all the half empty beer and wine glasses, sobering up, disconnecting the free standing awning, lifting the stabilisers, de-cluttering the drivers foot well,taking off the front curtain,lowering the aerials and dishes,running through the checklist,closing all the roof vents and side windows, driving off the ramps, do I need to go on helleeeee!!!!

Geoff Bell - 2007-06-25 11:02 PM I would have thought this topic had already been covered but my search has not come up with anything, so can someone suggest the best method to top up my 100 ltr on board water tank on site after the initial fill is used without moving the MH. Have I got to buy one of these rolly polly things like what caravaners use and then pump it into my tank. If so whats the best container and pump to buy. I was wondering if anyone makes a chordless rechargeable pump rather than pluging in to my 12V , Just a thought it would be more convenient.

Geoff,

It's a fair bet that if you've emptied your 100 litre fresh water tank, then the grey tank will need emptying, therefore it probably looks like you will have to make the journey to the service point.

Nooooooooooo don't go on walter what a lemon get yourself a rolly polly .

at Brownhills they sell the 100ltr one any good ? you can top up in one then. That would save you washing the dishes getting out your check list pouring the empty beer cans and wine away brining in the awning unplugging ect ect ect.......... better still if staying in this country get one of those rain diverters for your roof guttering you would fill it in an hour :D :D :D :D

Geoff- May I suggest that if you use 100 litres of water without then wanting to move your van you may be better off with useing one of those thingys called a caravan. :$ We use a 25litre water container with a small 12v submersible pump which connects to a already installed plug socket near the filler, it takes 4 mins to refill that amount, thats when of course our hose does not reach the supply. chas

My in laws gave me a 15L collapsable jerry can that South West Water gave them when their water supply was turned off.

It's got a tap on it, so I just sit it on top of the opened tank, which is under the dinette seat, rather than filling it through the outside point.

I never need to do the whole 110 litres, just a couple of trips is usually enough.

Geoff Bell - 2007-06-25 11:20 PM

Than turning the seats around, stabalising the TV, disconnecting the mains lead, pouring away all the half empty beer and wine glasses, sobering up, disconnecting the free standing awning, lifting the stabilisers, de-cluttering the drivers foot well,taking off the front curtain,lowering the aerials and dishes,running through the checklist,closing all the roof vents and side windows, driving off the ramps, do I need to go on helleeeee!!!!

Buy an RV.

You'd then also happily benefit from a great deal of automation designed to allow our trans-Atlantic brethren to waddle from the barbie to the fridge without having to burn any calories whatsoever.

We do,

I fitted a spare 12 volt connector just inside a locker adjacent to the water filling point for the pump used to transfer the water from the can into the van. The square can fits inside the locker on top of the folding chairs.

Water (and waste) gets transported on a modified shopping trolley which I tow with my small motorbike if its a long walk.

Pics below

C.

954596206_Toppingup1.jpg.8125e708958e64b77acec686e576b426.jpg

1834384491_Toppingup2.jpg.58720b5f27a733d4a523f71a408fc2d9.jpg

Guest A lan

I'm new to this site, but not to motorhomes. We used a 25 litre container with an Amazon submersible pump, which came from Brownhills when at their previous site. The pump emptied the container in about 2 minutes, which is quite long enough when under attack by scottish midges!

A 25 litre container really is very heavy to carry when full, but then you don,t have to fill it. Smaller containers don't usually have openings large enough to take submersible pumps, so check carefully. One of those roly-poly things could be better, if you have space to house it. We didn't.

I managed to squeeze a DIN style 12V socket with weather flap, next to the filler opening and connected it in parallel with the main water pump, which was conveniently situated.

On changing vehicles last year things were not so simple. A watering can has been tried but it had to be modified by cutting off the end of the spout and adding a piece cut from an old bicycle inner tube. Otherwise you couldn't tip it up far enough before hitting the side of the vehicle.

We now have an alternative but it involves a water container brought back from a Canadian trip, and not seen in the UK. We have never used a hose.

A watering can, is not made from food quality plastic, and therefore you could stand the chance of contaminating your water tank with any chemical leaching from the plastic. I have also found one of the most useful tools for the van is the foldup wheeled carrier, no one wants to carry 25 litres very far, and they also double up for the cassette loo and carring back hugh quantitys of beer and vino. (lol) chas

The caravanner's secret weapon is called an Aquaroll.  They come in two sizes, can't remember the capacities, but readily available from caravan accessory shops and dealers, as are Whale or similar submersible pumps that you can just drop into the Acquaroll.  You'll just need to arrange a 12V supply nearby for the pump.

The beauty of the Acquaroll is that it is cylindrical, designed to stand on one end when in use as a reservoir, but tipped onto its side and towed with a clip on handle like a garden roller twixt tap and 'van.  However, they ain't that cheap (though of good quality) and they are bulky to store. 

Less bulk would be possible if you got a collapsible water container from a camping store.  A bit like a thin walled jerrican that will fold down nearly flat.  However, unless you also want a hernia truss, you'll probably need a small trolley to carry it with, so that will take back some of the space you just saved!

The problem with Aquaroll is that it will only fit in the biggest motorhome lockers. With a caravan its normally dumped in the living area and taken out as soon as you stop. Hence square tank and shopping trolley.

C.

For fresh water we use a similar arrangement to Clive plus a 5 litre container for drinking water. Our van has a 12 volt socket built in to the side next to the water filler spout and we obtained a submersible pump with the van. We don't often have to top up when on a site with all facilities but do so when at re-enactment events and rallies where we are using the shower in the van.

We use a collapsible bucket for emptying the grey tank - walking to and from the drain is good exercise. :-)

Graham

We don't have room for an aquaroll as a Duetto doesn't have big lockers.

We don't have a watering can either as it is quite large. So we have a funnel with a length of hose attached (not food grade but not died yet) and a 5 litre water container (the type from Tesco that comes with water in). I personally don't follow the food grade hose and not drinking from the tank as I think people are a little more fussy than they used to be (remember sharing cans etc and we didn't kill ourselves)

We do drain the water tank at the end of each trip and use Puraclean a couple of times a year.

Its just the way we do it and it keeps the OH busy lol. Along with emptying the water using one of those black waste water containers (with two red lids) it was only about £8 and keeps him occupied.

We share carrying the cassette too which always causes amusement on site.

Like Graham, we have a collapsible bucket which we've used once when sited for 5 days to empty the waste water. On that occasion we didn't have to worry about refilling fresh water as we were really close to a tap and just used a length of hose pipe. However, in France earlier this year we couldn't attach our hose to the tap and the filling hose for motorhomes didn't look very clean so we were lucky to find a cheap food grade plastic jerry can with spout at a market. It's come in very handy when we only want to top up the tank with a small amount.

Well thanks folks, I,ve got a fairly big garage at the back so will probably go for the aquaroll 50Ltr and the whale submersible pump. Pity nobody knows of a chordless re-chargeable as I don't have a nearby 12V socket and I didn'r really want to drill the outside of the van. Guess I will get a pump with a nice long lead and plug into the auxillary on the dash.

Why dosent anyone make a chordless pump???????????

Archived