West Coast - Scotland & Orkney

Grumpyman

Just returned from a three week trip round Scotland. Had great weather considering what's been happening elsewhere only two day's rain.

Throughly recommend Orkney very interesting place stayed one week there.

Anyone else going this summer?.

Not really grumpy.

Orkney was just about the only place we missed out on when we toured Scotland David. We watched the one boat come into harbour at John o Groats and changed our minds as the passengers disembarked, or to put it another way, crawled or were carrid off. The weather never improved so we missed out, but we do plan to return some day but not this summer.

Hello Grumpy,

Off to the West Coast second week in September. Staying near Fort William on a commercial site (for benefit of other half, who has not been away in a MH before), for one week only to view the places within range. Then to Mull and Skye followed by leisurely tour up the west coast(sea fishing on the way) via places such as Plockton, Applecross, Sheidaig, Ullapool and then up to Sutherland and Caithness for the trout fishing. All research done on the wonderful websites, Undiscovered Scotland and wild-fishing-scotland. The locals have been extremely helpful with masses of advice on their forums.

Not going to Orkney, but will be having leisurely tour for minimum of five weeks.

Any tips from any who have done a similar tour? Starspirit has already given me the benefit of his knowledge from his previous trips, but all info is v.welcome.

Regards to All,

Mike

PS. Contingency plan if other half does not like the experience, is quick trip to Inverness Airport and put her on a flight down to Norwich to then taxi home. If it comes to that I shall extend the tour by at least another two weeks or more. On my return I shall probably find that full timing solo is the only option open to me!

It was back in the 60,s when I last went to Scotland as far as Aberdeen & then that was by car so no problems as to where I could drive to.We now have a 7mtr motorhome & will probably be towing a small car on a trailer, & I,d like to do it again but travel somewhat further north to see more of it.So any advice or suggestions would be very much apreciated.I,m not too sure as to the quality of the roads for a bigger unit especially towing the car.

Have a look at website 'undiscovered scotland' masses of info available and roads to travel. I think that you would be wise to to use the network of good roads, get on your sites and tackle the more difficult roads to the real wild places by your car. There is a section of this monster site which advises and covers the use of single track roads with passing places. Good luck.

Mike

bjphillips - 2007-06-29 8:53 PM

It was back in the 60,s when I last went to Scotland as far as Aberdeen & then that was by car so no problems as to where I could drive to.We now have a 7mtr motorhome & will probably be towing a small car on a trailer, & I,d like to do it again but travel somewhat further north to see more of it.So any advice or suggestions would be very much apreciated.I,m not too sure as to the quality of the roads for a bigger unit especially towing the car.

We followed the coastal roads up around the West coast and back down the Eastern side as well as detours through the Grampian and Cairgorn ranges B J, and the only place we came across that might cause problems was the A82 coming out North of Loch Lomond. Narrow and twisting, but the rock overhangs would be a possible hazzard with high sided vehicles. Saying that there were plenty of car/caravan outfits and large lorries as well as the touring coaches wherever we went, so no problems as long as you look ahead. The other thing we noticed was some of the the the roads mapped as A class. Not always the case with plenty of pull ins to allow passing and overtaking.

Once you get past Poolewe the landscape can look bleak at times , but still a rugged beauty if you appreciate that sort of thing. Each to their own, but the one thing that sticks in my mind is coming down around Loch Carron and the two days we spent there.

From Glasgow onwards it is Boootiful :-D

We stayed on Loch Long not far from Dornie in a self catering cottage 2 years ago. We drove to the Isle of Skye 4 days running ...... saw several motorhomes which is what fuelled our initial enthusiasm, but be wary of narrow++ lanes ........ it would be better to park on the mainland and hire bykes or a car 'cos some of the roads, espeically to Talisker distillary, are narrow :-S

Skye is also known as Misty Maid for various reasons! On a clear day it is lovely, we ran out of explanations ........ however the following week due to heavy rain the road to Portree was landslidded into the Loch !

As for Loch Carron - heaven on Earth. My parents took me to Plockton in 1976 and it hasn't changed in 30+ years. Because it is controlled by the local Laird any property alterations, inside or out, have to be agreed by a Committee and if the Computer says no .......

;-)

Just returned from a two week tour of Western Scotland. Stayed at Moffat

C&C site on the way up, then on to Glen Nevis site at Fort William, superb site, not that expensive. On up to Balmacara hotel campsite,near the skye bridge, site excellent but beer at hotel expensive. Onwards to Ullapool, site in town on shore of Loch Broom, well worth a visit. Intended to go over the pass to Applecross but the cloud was down so we progressed to Durness , the top of our route. We came here ten years ago in a tent and enjoyed it, but now it is even better. There are new service blocks, A visitor centre and the pub and resturaunt is next to site. If you get there for early afternoon you can get the best pitches which overlook Durness beach. The visitor centre has a brochure for all the local walks in the vicinity, well worth getting the walking boots on. After four days onward to Lairgs,don't bother, it's a one horse town and the horse has died.

On then to Inverness , camped at a site two mile south of the city on the Fort William road next to the Caledonian Canal, easy walk into Inverness along the river.

We then made are way down towards Edinburgh and back down the A1 to home using available sites.

We did not get the bad weather that england was getting, most days where hot and sunny. the only place we needed our macs where Moffat and Ullapool, only for a short rain shower.

before we went we were told about a prevention against the midges, we have used Deet in the past but have now tried AVON'S SKIN SO SOFT , it worked brilliantly, for the first time in visiting the north of Scotland, not one bite.It as a pleasant smell, is non stickey and is easy to apply.

This is the most important paragraph of the letter, try it.

regards Harry

Hello Colin,

Found someone who has a regular visit from an Avon rep and through them ordered four spray bottles @ £3 a bottle. Starspirit also advised me to use Coal Tar shampoo and citronella in some form. All now in place in van ready for extended tour in September. Only need to obtain Deet to complete my armory against them. I also am told that most corner shops up there stock 'oh so soft' as it is a local favourite. As I intend to be fly fishing in some extremely remote areas have obtained a cap which has a full net hood packed into it. As you can see, I am taking no chances.

All this info is also available on a wonderful site 'wild-fishing-scotland' on their forums. Well worth a look if you really want to get into the backwoods. A very helpful bunch of locals on their forum even if you are not a fisherman. Best of luck,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

First let me say you will need all the gear you can get.

Those midges can chew you to hell.

Better with a wind, they stay away, also, don't have a pee !!

This attracts them, from somebody that knows what he is speaking about, 30 years experience.  LOL.

Archived