Lac Du Der 'aires'

peejay

Lots of chat about this on another thread so I thought it might warrant another post with a bit of general info about the place.

The 'Lac' is one of our favourite areas, located a few kms Southwest of St Dizier and acessed from either the N4 or the D384 depending on whch part you want to start at.

We have stayed here regularly when travelling to or from Eastern France or Germany, its a leisurely 4 1/2 drive from Calais so makes a good overnight stop if you're not in a rush.

There are in fact 3 aires, open all year and all strategically placed around the lake with a total of 210 places, so you'll not have any problems finding a space.

All are free to park overnight with a small fee for the use of the motorhome service points if req'd.

Aire 1 is at Port De Chantecoq on the western side of the lake midway between Arrigny and Giffaumont beside the D13.

Aire 2 is on the south side of the lake just to the east of Giffaumont itself in the parking area of the 'Station Nautique'.

Aire 3 is on the north side of the lake at 'Port De Nuisement' by the sailing school, follow the D13a from Arrigny towards Ste Marie Du Lac Nuisement and pick up the Port de Nuisement 'Ecolle De voille' signs.

There are also 2 further aires away to the west and south of the Lake at Chavanges and Montier En Der respectively but we haven't visited those yet.

The Lake is a great place for a spot of birdwatching and there are also numerous places to lauch small boats or a canoe if you have one.

A few links to some info on the lake....

http://www.lacduder.com/uk/index.php

http://www.lacduder.com/uk/services.php?idmod=32

http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/English/e_lac_du_der.htm

Finally a small map to show the location of each aire.....

801045524_giffaire1.gif.278c46d731be37f316b40d793e9a6f6d.gif

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2007-07-01 12:01 PM
JudgeMental - 2007-07-01 10:49 AM Will try it in August on our way back from Lake Garda - we like a bit of water... the 5 aires are clearly seen on this map/site as well http://www.airecampingcar.com/[/quote]

Thanks for the link Judge ;-)

have been looking for a comparable one for Gemany - any ideas?the camperstop book is hard work - not as bad as french Aire guide though... :-D only 3 weeks to go! *-)

Way2Go Where did you find a map with Aires shown?

W2G

Its a map copied from Viamichelin.com then I added the aires bits in 'paint'
Judgemental have been looking for a comparable one for Germany - any ideas? the camperstop book is hard work - not as bad as french Aire guide though...
Know what you mean, decent website lists of stellplatze are a bit thin on the ground.2 good-ish ones.....http://home.arcor.de/reisemobil/ and click on the drop-down box at the top for 'Deutschland' for a fair sized list.http://womo4u.de/womo_stellplaetze.htm a fair list divided into regions or you can print the whole lot off. Only in postcode (PLZ) order though.Book wise then it has to be the Bordatlas, the Stellplatz bible imho.pete

Good Idea Ralph,

Because even though we all have books and the like there is nothing like personal recomendation .Its nice to think hey sos& so said that I think I will just have a look again nothing worse whenyou can't remember the thread again ! :'(

Raphl this really is a good idea to have a thread just about aires so come on mods lets do it. Sending this sat on aire at Dieppe, using unsecured Wifi network! Aire here is a bit costly at 7€ (!) but worth it for view of harbour and easy walk to town, and services are free. A little noise at night but we slept well. Spent weekend on an aire just up the coast at Ault, north of Le Treport, which is worth a visit. No real views from aire but is very quiet and you can walk down to beach and to centre of Ault, which is a pleasant if a little run down resort. Walk is a bit steep in places but a nice place to spend a couple of days; no charge parking, services 2€. (Not in most aires guides but follow D19 to town and then signs.

(Thanks for info re aires on lake will pick these up when head south in September)

All the best

Jean and Robert

I agree.  However, it will have to be policed quite strictly.  The idea of "topic specific" threads has been tried twice (I think) so far.  One was to contain information about sites, and almost immediately degenerated into a discussion about why people use them, and then moved to a lot of posts seeking information about sites here and there, rather than actually posting information about good (or bad) sites.  The other is "Hints and Tips", where the idea was to post useful information for others to use, but is mostly now filled with questions that really belong elsewhere!

So, I'm in favour, but I think it needs to be strictly limited to posts giving information about aires, to outlaw posts saying "anyone know of a aire in....?" - which I'm sure will become the prevalent form, and probably should not allow replies to be posted against entries, so that just the unadulterated aire information itself is presented.  To be useful it also needs to have information on how to find the aire using a map, and not just its sat-nav co-ordinates!

I do take slight exception to the comment about the Dieppe aire being expensive at 7€ per night, though.  That is under £5.  Do we really expect to be able to park for free just because we're in France?  Someone has to provide and maintain these facilities.  Some are free, mainly to try to attract trade to less popular areas.  They are the "loss leaders".  Others are provided to prevent places being buried under a welter of randomly parked motorhomes, and they charge as a form of rationing.  I think they are remarkable value overall, and we are very priviledged to be able to take advantage of them so freely.

Quite agree Brian, just like this one has veered slightly off topic *-)

As to the cost of the Dieppe aire, I would say what was mean't here was that €7 was fairly expensive in relation to the cost of aires in France in general.

pete

Agree Brian. I would like to have easy access to a source of recommended sites, not lists of requests for ideas. Must be possible surely?

Regarding cost (yes we are straying off topic) I found that 6 Euros was about average for those that charge. Very few seem to be free any more. Although I found some that charged 6 euros to park and then charged again for water. Personally I only need water around every 6 days as 130 litres seems to last that long. Perhaps I should start washing :-D

Brian,

My comment about 7€ a night was meant to be very tongue in cheek, hence the exclamation mark. Can tell you that sat here in the sun overlooking the harbour enjoying a nice glass of wine, it is worth double. Seriously the aires are great value and we use them all the time; where in England could you stay in such a situation for less than £5?

Feel sure data base of aires would work if say a simple format were set down which we all followed.

All the best

Jean and Robert

I can confirm that Peejays aires at Lac de Der are well worth the visit. We have called off there for the last couple of years and relaxation is the key word. Excellent cycling. Clean and safe and it is always hot there when we go.

I can second Peejays recommendations.

robertandjean - 2007-07-03 8:01 PM Brian, My comment about 7€ a night was meant to be very tongue in cheek, hence the exclamation mark. Can tell you that sat here in the sun overlooking the harbour enjoying a nice glass of wine, it is worth double. Seriously the aires are great value and we use them all the time; where in England could you stay in such a situation for less than £5? Feel sure data base of aires would work if say a simple format were set down which we all followed. All the best Jean and Robert

Apologies, I'm afraid I took the exclamation mark to be just that.  Too literal, you see.

Archived