Starburst 2005. no hot water

Kevin915

Hi Guys

I have just refilled my water tank and on testing the hot water it runs hot for about 2 or 3 seconds then back to cold.  I tried draining the system and refilling a couple of times thinking it might be an air lock. but no success. The hot water was working fine before I drained the system for the winter,  Any Ideas about this or am I doing something wrong.

(Phone number removed as bad practice on open forum)

Kevin

A difficulty with older motorhomes is that detailed knowledge of a particular model diminishes over time and - when you enquired about your Starburst last year - there were questions about its specification

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/55648-2005-auto-cruise-starburst-user-guide/#comment-697522

The MMM review of a Starburst that I mentioned in the above forum thread indicated that the model had a diesel-fuelled Eberspacher Hydronic heating system that included a 'calorifier' for hot water storage. If that is what your Starburst has, a particular technique might well be required when refilling the water system after a complete drain down.

If you confirm what water system your Starburst has, someone familiar with that system may be able to help.

Hello Derek, Thanks for your reply,  you are absolutely correct, my starburst does have diesel-fuelled Eberspacher Hydronic heating system that included a 'calorifier' for hot water storage.  So I may have been assuming that this was the only system on the Starburst.  I hope now that I have clarified this point someone might be able to offer some advice.  I have owned it for less than a year and still find out things.  My model does not have the swing out kitchen work area as seems to be the case with most Starbursts. There is a fused switch in the wardrobe what is this for? I hope some can offer some advice.

Kevin

Kevin

The mysterious switch in the wardrobe (of a 2004 Starblazer) was asked about here in 2020

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/48113-switch-in-wardrobe/

In that thread Keithl suggested that the switch might be for the water heater. MMM magazine's 2006 Starburst review stated that water-heating was "diesel/230V", so if your calorifier has mains electric heating elements in it, the switch might be for those.

A photo of the switch could help, as this might indicate whether it's there to operate a 240V or a 12V device. And, if all else fails, you might be able to trace where the switch's wires lead to.

On our 2006 Renoir Kevin, the fused switch in the wardrobe is a mains off/on for the fridge beneath. Funnily enough we have had a problem with our Combitronic heater this week. Fired up as normal first night (which was very cold on the east coast) and at some point during the night the (diesel) heater went out but the fans kept running blowing cold air. Next morning I restarted the control panel and heating/hot water came on but shortly after the heater went off again. The length of time it stayed on reduced each time it was restarted over the next couple of days and, as it was getting really cold at night, we came home early.

The Renoir has quite a good service history but I haven’t seen any reference/receipts for any service on the Eberspacher. I read somewhere that the antifreeze solution in the header tank should be a nice pink colour but it is grey - this may be an indicator that it has never been changed, possibly from new. 

A google search for possible causes didn’t pinpoint anything obvious but there were references to a few things that it may be in my case. 

Have booked it in to an Eberspacher service agent near me for next week for them to check the error codes on the ECU (no codes come up on the panel) and see if they can find the fault - undertake a full service at the same time.

None if that may help but hope you get it sorted.

David

Thanks Dave, yes thought that was the problem as the first night they were down to 12.2v by morning but, with solar and driving each day the batteries were kept between 12.5 and 12.8.

According to the service history, these two 115ah batteries may well be as old as 2012 in which case I may need to start thinking about changing them but will get the heater service done first.

David

I think we have the same Eberspacher heating system Dave, I think I have located my cold water problem but more testing tomorrow to be sure. I will  update this posting later.

I hope you get your heater problem sorted, I've not had that particular problem, but yes, a low battery could cause that problem, there is a point where it will shut down.

After further investigation into the mystery switch in the wardrobe my switch feeds a stand-a-lone 13 amp socket above the fridge but not the fridge, very strange really why a 10 amp fuse switch was thought necessary since a plug already has a fuse.

Thanks to Derek as this lead me to investigate this. My starburst is covered by a 12 month AutoGuard warranty soon to expire,  so I may have to claim on this if I cannot correct the fault myself

At one time it was quite common among UK motorhome converters to have a number of alternative brand-names. The reasoning behind this was to target buyers with different tastes and the result was parallel ranges of models that were much the same technically, but differed in terms of exterior look, interior trim and minor specification.

Autocruise marketed motorhomes under the "Pioneer" brand-name and - as these two images will show - if one ignores the exterior decals and colour scheme a 2005 Autocruise Starburst (upper image) and a 2005 Pioneer Renoir (lower image) are very close cousins.

image.thumb.png.d54630e731a3b75d296d1727fcbc28e0.png

image.png.744e3c241de95ab1f0ab90f931542a27.png

Regarding the switch in the wardrobe, it was (is still?) standard practice for UK motorhome/caravan manufacturers to use common-or-garden 240V 'household' switched 13A 3-pin sockets and stand-alone switches.  This link proves that point

https://www.caravanparts.co.uk/electrics-240v-240v-sockets-and-switches-c-53_239_261.html?page=1&sort=2a

No good trying to rationalise why Autocruise (assuming it was Autocruise and not a previous owner) chose to install the switch and socket - it's a motorhome and anything goes. 😀

As an update to yesterdays post I'm pleased to say I have located the problem with my hot water which was running cold after about 3 seconds

I traced the problem to a faulty cross feed valve or bypass valve as it is sometimes called.  I have done some re-plumbing work to correct the fault temporarily because I need to find a replacement valve and now I have a continuous flow of hot water.

I will post a picture of the valve and hopefully someone could advise me where to get one,  the actual make is DUCO,  but a suitable replacement three way valve may be available of another make,  as I cannot find a suppler for DUCO.

I need to correct my statement in yesterdays post regarding the switch in the wardrobe,  after doing some testing with a power consumption display,  I can confirm that it also supplies the fridge as well as the stand-alone 13 amp socket,  so the explains the 10 amp fused switch to provide isolation/protection in the event short circuits on the fridge heating element. 

If anyone knows where I can purchase a replacement valve I would be grateful.

As you can see my MH has the fridge on the drivers side. (no vents near side)

cross feed valve.jpg

13 amp socket.2.jpg

stand-alone 13 amp socket.jpg

switch.jpg

My Starburst 2005.jpg

Past discussions about Autocruise Star motorhomes have suggested that the calorifier might have been a Surecal-branded product and this website refers

https://www.surejust.co.uk/surecal

Thermostatic mixer valves are shown (but the valve DEL mentions is significantly cheaper)

https://www.surejust.co.uk/thermostatic-mixer-valves

Anyway - if you should need any other calorifier-related bits in future - the Surejust website may be the place to look.

..................................................................................................................................................................

I've been thinking about your motorhome and wondering why its specification differed from that of the vehicles in adverts for other Starburst models built around 2005. Then I chanced on this advert

https://www.webuyanymotorcaravan.com/product/autocruise-starburst/

The sideview image exactly matches your photo above (so the vehicle might actually be the one you bought) but the rearview carries the "Pioneer" name.

image.png.44ed91e9767d19f8893521ea45e1c39b.png

It appears, then, that in 2005, Autocruise were building two models carrying the "Starburst" name - an Autocruise "Starburst" (with the fridge on the left) and a Pioneer "Starburst" with a different internal layout with the fridge on the right and an oven above it. (photo below)

image.png.cbe4b6a699506e84aa8ff85ffeceac6f.png

You are right Derek - about that time Autocruise were ‘mixing and matching’ their model range. We bought a new STARTRAVELLER badged Pioneer but asked the dealer if it could be badged Autocruise as, at that time, I was unsure whether the relatively unknown pioneer brand would hold its resale value as well as an Autocruise badge. The layout was as your example. Can’t recall now what the model name was under the Pioneer badge.

David

Thanks for that most interesting information and you have in fact found my Starburst. I didn't purchase from Webuyanymotrorcaravan  but from  4Front in Warninglid with slightly over 13000 on the clock. and mine is the second model you describe. I assume 4Front bought it in from the other company.

Thanks for your links for the valve. I had thought this valve was a just a diverter valve but it seems to be a thermostat control There are no indications on the original valve to indicate thermostatic function.

I have saved the info for parts in the future I may go the one in Dave's post as it's cheaper and probably just as good.

Archived