To wave or not to wave

Champstar

caraprof - 2007-07-14 11:16 AM

Once again I shall enforce my reputation for being either snobbish or miserable but I can assure you that I am far from either of these epithets.

Nevertheless I abhor the people who wave at me! I find it embarrassing and totally unnecessary and typical of the kind of things that Chavs do, such as leaving teddy bears and flowers at accident scenes, which is usuall more about their own self-absorption than a genuine expression of sympathy.

Why do you do it? If I were plodding along in a horse-drawn caravan I might be persuaded to nod at another similar vehicle coming my way. We would be, after all, a rare and unusual sight.

But motorhomers are ten a penny and it just confirms my belief, which I've developed from this and other forums that, once someone graduates from their tent or touring 'van and buys a M/H, they somehow see themselves as a special, rather upmarket kind of animal. Regrettably they themselves become the real snobs. One only has to see the number of people on this site for whom the word 'tugger' is a perjorative description to confirm my belief.

On a recent three week trip around Europe I got heartily sick of all of these idiots, some of whom would wave enthusiastically at me from the opposite side of a three-lane motorway, so far apart that we could hardly see them! However, when you get on site or on an aire, they more or less ignore you.

Come on folks, there's nothing special about motorhomers. There are hundreds of thousands of us around Europe now and why, oh why, do those of you who would never have dreamt of waving at other towers when you pulled a caravan ( as I know many of you did) now feel that there is now some kind of special bond that exists betweem motorhomers, that shouldn't exist between other forms of mobile houses on wheels?

Give it a rest please! Realise that we are not an exclusive little club any more and that many people do not like having to wave at every motorhome that passes them, which may be hundreds on a long drive in high season on the Continent.

Finally, I know that I am not alone in this as many motorhomers do not wave so it is by no means a habit practiced by all of you. Have you ever considered that it may even be construed as selfish, as it puts an onus on the other party to respond, when they may not feel inclined to do do? If you ignore the waver, some people may then feel that they are being seen as anti-social, which isn't very nice for them (although I don't I must admit!).

You arent Victor Meldrew Are You? (lol)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof
crinklystarfish - 2007-07-14 11:56 AM caraprof, As a misanthrope I’m with you all the way, I perceive we share some common values; do give me a wave if you see me.

1.You're from Yorkshire so there's no chance of a wave I'm afraid.

2. I hate misanthropes and generally love people, apart from wavers and Chavs of course, but if I'm in a good mood I may give you the finger!

Guest caraprof
Brian Kirby - 2007-07-14 2:29 PM

More important than whether you got arm ache, Frank, is how's your head and the related possible vision problem?

Second, how did the trip go?

Last, I don't see any harm in motorhomers waving to each other.  It is an expression of a sense of "community" among motorhomers.  I agree it is a bit odd that this doesn't often extend to when they are sited, but we are British, after all! 

The practice pre-dates Chavs by years (and the flowers and teddies, on which I wholly agree with you), seeming to have originated when motorhomes were rather more uncommon than they now are.  Still, I don't see this as a valid reason for abandoning it.  Surely, it is no more than the equivalent of the smile to acquaintances or neighbours, who one may so recognise without having actually got to know them.  It seems to me no more than a form of polite recognition of others with whom one has a shared interest.  Time was when people waved to other British cars when abroad, or gave a British truck a friendly "toot" when passing.

I don't think it is a form of snobbery at all.  True there is a bit of banter between motorhomers and caravanners, but this extends to caravanners and tenters as well, with the tenters claiming to be the only "true" campers, except that also extends to the kind of tent you have, and whether or not you carry it in a car! 

Motorhomers exclusive?  Nah - it's just that they think the other lot are a bit odd!  All the world is strange, except for thee and me, and even thee's a little strange.  Methinks you do too much protest!

My head's fine thank you Brian (see my post in Chatterbox in the Chit and Chat thread where I also mention about my trip).

AA and RAC patrolmen used to wave to members but these organisations had the good sense to realise that there comes a point where there are so many of them that it no longer has any meaning!

This now applies to motorhomers. Waving at strangers puts an obligation on them, which they may not want. They feel obliged to wave back, when they don't really want to, and probably consider the whole thing an outdated farce.

If they don't respond some of them will have slight feelings of guilt because they may feel that the waver perceives them as unfriendly, when they may, as I am, be a very friendly person under the right circumstances and when it really matters.

I will never put anyone under this obligation I'm afraid.

Glad to hear you're OK, Frank.

Waving: let those as wants to wave, those as doesn't want to needn't.

If you wave to me and I don't respond I shan't feel guilt or pressure, I'll just assume that you'll understand I wasn't concentrating on your van at that moment!

I happens!  To all those forum wavers I've accidentally snubbed, my humblest, most grovelling, apologies!

Like everything its a matter of choice, us if we get a cheery wave , why not wave back were on holiday relaxing, also if were on quieter roads and pass a fellow motorhomer whatever shape or size we'll give a wave and have to say we very rarely don't get a wave in return in uk or over the water. Cheers. Carol.

I think Franks right ! I mean who in the hell do we think we are from now on don't wave at me :-( as I will only return it to caravans that way we will have to wave less as it gets on my bloody nerves especially as Franks says they are ten a penny and have been just in the last 3/4 years that we have had one :D If i only wave to caravans they will most probably think who's that silly cow waving to and they wont return it so before long I can give up alltogether ;-) Ah no more arm ache ;-)

Maybe those of us who like to wave should wear a skippers cap. That way, the m/h on the other side of the road would know that there should be a wave. Those who don't wish to wave could possibly get one of those plastic arms that Her Maj uses. Worked off a battery you see. Computer programmed to recognise another m/h, so no effort would be needed. I suppose it's possible to have a camera fitted to the front of the cab which would immediately recognise another m/h passing in the opposite direction which could light up an LED sign saying HELLO. The possibilities are endless.

bob b - 2007-07-14 10:09 PM

As a motorcaravanner and a motorcyclist, I am even "busier" on the road.

Can one get a repetitive strain injury from all this acknowledging malarkey ? :-(

I'm a compulsive waver, or more likely, nodder when out on the motorbike. I feel obliged to acknowledge every member in a group of bikers. Luckily, motorcaravanners don't ride in packs, generally. :-S

rumbler - 2007-07-15 4:08 PM

bob b - 2007-07-14 10:09 PM

As a motorcaravanner and a motorcyclist, I am even "busier" on the road.

Can one get a repetitive strain injury from all this acknowledging malarkey ? :-(

I'm a compulsive waver, or more likely, nodder when out on the motorbike. I feel obliged to acknowledge every member in a group of bikers. Luckily, motorcaravanners don't ride in packs, generally. :-S

A bit off topic but attached combines both your hobbies.

We were startled to hear what sounded like thunder as a couple of thousand (I'm told) bikes turned up...

PS: the camping cars are top right.

1326302570_DSCF1361(WinCE).JPG.2cc9ae6ddd291cf29eaac5f613ae136c.JPG

Ralph - 2007-07-06 11:41 AM

Lot of talk about Hymer owners (I was one myself but I'm reformed now) not waving but the ones that never seem to wave are the big yankee jobs.

Only mention this because it seems we have yankee wavers on here as well so there must be some?

Also waving from panel vans (Hi Tony) seems pretty rare but perhaps they and the yankees just wave to each other...

Just a spot survey whilst I was travelling in the opposite direction to many going to the Lincoln show on Friday

I passed the showground around 4:30 travelling towards Lincoln & then on to Newark. I lost count of how many Motorhomes at 110

But missed a few myself, I find that with some panel Vans I didn,t recognise them until I was level with them.

My waves returned from the vast majority

1 US RV wave not returned

11 Panel Vans 4 waves not returned

98 A Class/Coachbuilts 9 waves not returned

So only around 10% who don't wave and from what I saw there doesn't appear to be any particular group that could be singled out for not waving

Hope all of you at Lincoln had a great time despite the weather

I'm stubborn, cussed, selfish, single minded, got more money than I can spend and never in the holiday mode, I hate holidays, they interfere with normal living and driving around in the M/home which is very enjoyable. Its the best thing since sliced bread.

Wave, what for, I don't know you, apart from this forum, who are you, who do you think you are that I should need to wave and chance endangering others on the road?

When you get to eighty matey who cares!

Hows that for a Monday morning?

Several people have commented on safety risks in waving, but I'm somewhat puzzled by this.  True, taking one hand from the wheel reduces control; but who waves in the middle of complex manoeuvres?  But then again who, beset with an itch while driving, fails to scratch it?  Can you scratch an itch without taking one hand off the wheel, or change gear, or change radio station or volume, or adjust the heater, the aircon or whatever?

So, is it the fact of scanning the oncoming traffic that is the distraction?  Do we not all do this?  I know I do, whether driving car or motorhome.  I always have. 

As a generalisation (dangerous, I know!) there is as much (and I'd argue generally more) risk heading towards you, as there is preceding you, or following you.  Looking in the mirror is deemed essential to safety, and looking ahead down one's own carriageway obviously so; but scanning the oncoming traffic seems to me to be no less desirable.  That car edging out to overtake, that errant motorcyclist wanting to play piggy in the middle, the fact that oncoming vehicles are bottled up behind a tractor (sorry Fred!), or some other slow moving vehicle, or something is travelling like a bat out of hell, all add to the potential for having to take avoiding action. 

So, while running that lot through your computer, you clock the odd motorhome and raise your hand in friendly acknowledgement.  Where's the risk?  What additional distraction has been caused?  If you don't want to wave to others, or think it silly, or un-necessary, or demeaning, or too exclusive, fine: that is your prerogative.  But dangerous?  Per-lease!

caraprof - 2007-07-14 4:34 PM

2. I hate misanthropes and generally love people, apart from wavers and Chavs of course, but if I'm in a good mood I may give you the finger!

Well please do. At which point your identity will become clear. This would be useful because I'd enjoy explaining, in the clearly requisite simple terms:

1. The concept of prejudice.

2. The flaws in logic in your quoted response.

3. How to remove your head from your anus, both metaphorically, and perhaps more pressingly following the discussion, actually.

Best regards.

Guest caraprof
crinklystarfish - 2007-07-16 5:41 PM
caraprof - 2007-07-14 4:34 PM

Well please do. At which point your identity will become clear. This would be useful because I'd enjoy explaining, in the clearly requisite simple terms:

1. The concept of prejudice.

2. The flaws in logic in your quoted response.

3. How to remove your head from your anus, both metaphorically, and perhaps more pressingly following the discussion, actually.

Best regards.

Please feel free to explain the concept of prejudice and how it matters here and also feel free to explain the flaws in logic in my response. I'm not sure how 'quoted response' differs from 'response'. If you like I'll explain to you the concept of tautology.

Finally, I'm sorry that you feel moved to be so unpleasant and can I assume from your last sentence that, should we meet, you are threatening me with physical violence?

caraprof - 2007-07-16 5:46 PM

...I'm not sure how 'quoted response' differs from 'response'. If you like I'll explain to you the concept of tautology.

Finally, I'm sorry that you feel moved to be so unpleasant and can I assume from your last sentence that, should we meet, you are threatening me with physical violence?

Your 'quoted response' is indeed quoted before my last post and there is, therefore, no error in semantics. I doubt that you could extend my knowledge of tautology as manifestly you struggle with it.

My last post was light hearted banter, in much the same way as your kind offer to deign to "give me the finger" undoubtedly was.

Or was it; or was it? [sic]

Guest caraprof
crinklystarfish - 2007-07-16 6:28 PM And not that I don't enjoy toying with your limitations, but I have to go to a function right now. We will undoubtedly meet again.

I'm rather enjoying it myself actually although I don't think that I've ever met anyone so pompous and full of himself! As for your 'light hearted banter', mmmm, good try but I think not.

By the way, when did we first meet? I have no recollection. Or do you need to brush up on your semantics?

Archived