Waving again - sorry!!!!

Richnliz100

We are new to motorhoming only acquiring ours 6 weeks ago, but we are very happy waving as we also own a Subaru Impreza and all scooby drivers wave to each other too! (Well most!)

It was really nice venturing into North Devon a couple of weeks ago and being waved to by other motorhomers! :-D

Would say we found it was the VW owners who didn't wave, Hymer guys were very sociable! ;-)

Off topic (what topic?) A couple of years back we went to visit relatives in Canada. "We will pick you up at the airport, look for a blue Suburu Inpressa" they said. Then they spoilt the mental image by adding "Automatic Station Wagon".

At 6.2 tall I could only sit sideways in the back. So I drive a tank.

Richnliz100 - 2007-07-06 10:31 AM

We are new to motorhoming only acquiring ours 6 weeks ago, but we are very happy waving as we also own a Subaru Impreza and all scooby drivers wave to each other too! (Well most!)

It was really nice venturing into North Devon a couple of weeks ago and being waved to by other motorhomers! :-D

Would say we found it was the VW owners who didn't wave, Hymer guys were very sociable! ;-)

Funny that, most motorhomers don't reconise my T25 and wave, but nowadays I get waves from T1 and T2 drivers.

Being a Hymer owner and one who waves, well two who waves actually cos the wife does as well, we find that usually it is the porta loos that dont wave, ie:- the smaller vans, perhaps they think we are having a go or something.Today though we were totally ignored by a McLouis,we flashed,double waved, not a glimmer,also an Autosleeper and in Waitrose carpark an almost new conversion parked next to us and I tapped on our window and waved, invisible.

Hymer owners do wave

Mick H. - 2007-07-06 10:22 PM

Being a Hymer owner and one who waves, well two who waves actually cos the wife does as well, we find that usually it is the porta loos that dont wave, ie:- the smaller vans, perhaps they think we are having a go or something.Today though we were totally ignored by a McLouis,we flashed,double waved, not a glimmer,also an Autosleeper and in Waitrose carpark an almost new conversion parked next to us and I tapped on our window and waved, invisible.

Hymer owners do wave

Hi Mick,

Do you think people are trying to tell you something 8-) 8-) 8-) or are you just slow on the up take. :-D :-D

Don

Mick H. - 2007-07-06 10:22 PM

Hymer owners do wave

Perhaps thinking of them as "porta loos" doesn't help, maybe your psychic and transmit the thought unconciously 8-)

D.

michele - 2007-07-07 3:07 PM

Oh agree with that one snobby or what ?

Yes Michele, or what,

Picture it on a site somewhere. :-D

Up roll Mr & Mrs Lonely in their Hymer, spend ten minutes levelling the van and putting on display the plastic fruit/flowers.

Then it starts, they look around for some poor soul to impress with their shiny van and tales of their travels. Their van is usually covered in stickers hoping it will lure some newby into their clutches.

I've seen it happen a few times over the years.

Do you recognise yourself don't take it to heart at least you know why you don't many smiles.

The experienced hands see you coming you stick out like a sore thumb 8-) 8-)

We don't way to Hymers 8-) or any other vans these days. We did wave 25 years ago but in those days we all knew one another. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Don

That's very bitter Don, even with the smileys!  :-)

It is a shame the "golden age" is gone, and the growing numbers are causing more and more restrictions to be imposed on motorhomes. 

Even so, folk can only start when they have the time and the cash, so they do what seems right for their moment.  Even without the Hymer or the stickers, I have often thought it odd that folk who wave en-route don't even say "hello" once you arrive on site. 

I think it is just British reserve, really, because if you pick your moment and stroll over they (nearly!) all turn out to be friendly and interesting people.  It's just a case of deciding you're going to be the one to break the ice!

Don ,

with respect you are looking back with Rose tinted Glasses ..

There were boring stuck up snobs then with shallow lifes as there are today and will be in the future. Even when you are on your way home travelling back from the tunnel passing people obviously on their way out

it is still enjoyable to wave and be pleased for them out on a new adventure..

just out of interest I don't encroach others space there is nothing that they think they know that we want to know!

;-) I still got me roots and am not ashamed to say that the family used to save up all year round to go camping once a year !

Don't hurt anyone to be polite and help people on their way

I was at a campsite in the middle of Portugal a couple of years ago and assumed that I was the only british registered motorhome there.

I saw this chap 'hovering' outside the motorhome for a while and eventually opened the door.

He immediately launched into his story about how his wife died of cancer some 6 months ago and how she made him promise that he would do this tour of Europe that they had planned together when they finally retired.

I tried to make the 'right noises', but what on earth does one say ?

He was obviously lonely and miserable. I gave him a cuppa and some newspapers, but I was also on my 'trip of a lifetime'.

The obvious course was to wait a couple of years as he was obviously still grieving.

It did made me quite nervous about getting involved with fellow campers.

I have what I feel is a winning formula??

I turn up at the Aire, get sorted and then have a walk around.

We all have the ability to read body language and can soon recognise people who want to talk and those who want to be left alone.

If I talk to people and its plain to see that they prefer to be left alone then fair enough, on the other hand if they relish the contact and want to tell me their life story then I am sure ten minutes wouldn't hurt followed by a polite excuse me if things drag on a bit.

At the end of the day, its good to talk and wave :-)

I generally find that fellow campers are friendly, I just stroll around, smile, say "good morning/afternoon, nice day isn't it" etc and I usually get a pleasant response.

Friends of ours back in the nineties ran a Bedford Ca Debonair and we always used to chuckle because the moment the 'van stopped she would put a crystal vase of REAL flowers on the table etc. On one occasion we were on a site in Yorkshire with them and had the carb off his van sorting it out. So there's three of us sitting around on the grass with a carb in bits and his missus makes the tea. She brings it out on a gilt tea trolley with the cosey on the pot, bone china cups and saucers, lace doileys, the works! We always referred to her, affectionately, as Hyacinth (after Mrs Bucket from the telly series). Was she a snob? Well actually no she wasn't, she was (and as far as I know still is) a lovely, friendly, warm hearted person who just believed that afternoon tea should be done "properly". Oh yes, their toilet in the Debonair was a bucket and chuck it job!

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-07-07 9:27 AM
Mick H. - 2007-07-06 10:22 PM Being a Hymer owner and one who waves, well two who waves actually cos the wife does as well, we find that usually it is the porta loos that dont wave, ie:- the smaller vans, perhaps they think we are having a go or something.Today though we were totally ignored by a McLouis,we flashed,double waved, not a glimmer,also an Autosleeper and in Waitrose carpark an almost new conversion parked next to us and I tapped on our window and waved, invisible. Hymer owners do wave
Perhaps thinking of them as "porta loos" doesn't help, maybe your psychic and transmit the thought unconciously 8-) D.

Looks like a lot of Hymer owners are getting stick now. Being one I suppose it's best if I now make little comment on this "friendly" forum. Don using a Hymer as an another example as well.

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-07-08 11:29 AM

Looks like a lot of Hymer owners are getting stick now. Being one I suppose it's best if I now make little comment on this "friendly" forum. Don using a Hymer as an another example as well.

Thai

Don't let it get to you, Brian.  You must also have met a few of the ones who cause the trouble here and there.  The one's who don't really want to admit they do "camping" - or "motorhoming" for that matter.

They own a Hymer, they speak of it as "the Hymer" - never the motorhome, and certainly not as a "motorcaravan" or a "campervan" - it will be on a Mercedes chassis, so it has the three pointed star on the bonnet (so much classier than Fiat, don't you think?), they will wear blazer and Oxford bags, accompanied by blue rinse and twinset with single row of pearls, they will invariably use their on board facilities - even on award winning campsites (they'll never use aires) - they'll only use the cooker for breakfast, eating out as a matter of course, and they never wave to the plebs.  They probably would just raise a finger to other Mercedes Hymer owners - but you can't see which ones have the star on the front 'till you've almost passed them, so they don't acknowledge anyone else just to be safe! 

And, at the end of the day, it's just a tin box on wheels parked in someone else's field, alongside everyone elses tin boxes!  You have to laugh, don't you? 

It's just unfortunate that they seem to get attracted to Hymers, which are, after all, for the most part, perfectly good and quite innocent little motorhomes.  :-)

Here we go IS THIS the root of the problem? People have the motorhome that suits them best *-) what is the type or make got to do with WAVING there is lots of makes out there! wouldnt it be boring if we all had the same ? And whatever the reason people have sour faces ITS THEIR LOSS but anyone that ignores me doesnt get a look next time I pass.

But this will put the cat among the pidgeons (lol) (lol) I havent noticed it when we go to the Lakes or Scotland it a Southern thing. >:-) >:-)

Mr Kirby

Obviously from your comments I must be in the blue rinse brigade as our M/home is a Hymer on a Mercedes 416 chasis.Never thought about it being better than all the rest, just thought that we wanted a rear wheel drive vehicle with a reasonable payload.

Sorry to you all, I should have bought a Fiat/Renault/Peugeot/Ford based vehicle then, rather than going for something that I as an individual wanted!! Minds you - Don Madge-I did get a very good deal on some palstic flowers when I bought our van - our main reason for doing so actually, and then all the extra stickers on our new van showing all the different places that we've visited was another reason !!

Thai

This Hymer owner breaks the mould.No pearls,no twinsets, ours is called Archie, Fiat Ducato base, don,t use award winning campsites,prefer to camp wild,but that aint easy in this country,prefer the french aires myself.Don,t eat out much,havn,t found anybody who can cook as well as the wife,please note that it is wife not partner,bit old fashioned as well. We do use the on board facilities cos thats what they are there for and on a Hymer they work exceedingly well, get what you pay for and when you live in it you need a bit of class.

HYMER DRIVERS ALWAYS WAVE.

I have found over the years of waving that its a case of classification of van,ie coachbuilts wave to same, but rarely do van conversions or the VW camper type wave to coachbuilts, dont ask me why ! I have also found to my surprise when abroad, that foriegn coachbuilts wave from all nationalitys, and I thought it was just a British trait. One must also remember that sometimes its just not convenient or safe to do so when driving as your mind may be occupied on other matters. I regulary get flashed by motorhomers across 6 lanes of motorway which I do think is a bit much *-) I also think the British "reserve" has a lot to do with it. I used to drive a VW beetle for many years, and you could never drive past one without a wave, it was something that at the time I thought was just a beetle thing, till motorhomers started doing it when I was out in my van.

I have been camping far in excess of 25 years, primarily with trailer tents or caravans. However have been taking Motorhome holidays for about 8 years or so now in both the UK and Europe. I have found that in the UK most Motorhomers (including everything from Bambi's) tend to wave, flash lights etc, however, personally I have found that in Europe they are not so not so prolific wavers !

As we both drive we wave whenever we can, if driver is otherwise engaged on traffic type matters then the passenger becomes responsible for waving duties :-D

Regards,

Big momma

I agree with Brian re rear wheel drive, good payload and nice engineering 416.

I am afraid that over the years we have noticed that Hymer drivers generally only acknowledge other Hymer drivers. But would it also be fair to say that coachbuilt motorhome drivers don,t generally wave to van conversions (like Dons!). So the lesson here is to keep your coachbuilt and your driving license if you like a wave. (not always easy!)

There are always the exceptions though. How many have waved at an ambulance or Luton vans?

Archived