Elddis Washroom Tap replacement

BobbyT 55

• Keithl changed the title to Elddis Washroom Tap replacement

Thanks.

I assume you are referring to the tap shown in these photos

image.png.02abcb60a701a235e9dd86534ad8bc99.png

image.png.b45bcf3b25ee8a93e7ba108b74444a2b.png

This 2018 MHFun enquiry asked about a leaking tap in the bathroom of an Elddis Autoquest 140 (but no solution was forthcoming)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/leaking-bathroom-tap.180381/

The plastic unit that holds the tap and flip-down wash-basin is against the motohome's rear wall, so straightforward access to the underside of the tap and its plumbing will not be practicable from the rear. The presence of several 'screw covers' (two circled in red on 2nd photo above) suggests that the unit is screwed to the wall behind it, but adhesive may well have been used too. So it looks like the complete plastic unit that carries the tap and wash-basin will need to be removed to replace the tap.

(Suggest you talk to an Elddis dealership about this as these plastic units are not strong to begin with and - after 15 years - yours is likely to have become quite fragile. Finding an exact replacement nowadays may be very difficult.)

Try Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks Ltd. Aqua House Princes Drive Industrial Estate Kenilworth Warwickshire CV8 2FD. Phone 0844 414 2324 01926 854271.

No connection with firm, but have been able to get things from them in the past.

This 2018 C&MHC forum link relates to a leaking tap in an Elddis Autoquest motorhome

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/leaking-washroom-tap-2/

but the technique suggested won't apply to a 2008 115 model.

It's evident from on-line photos that Elddis has altered the washroom design repeatedly since the Autoquest 115 was first introduced and that early 115 models had the most inaccessible wash-basin tap. 

Although an exact match for the (presumably original) tap fitted to Bobby's 2008 115 might prove tricky to find nowadays, it should not be too hard to source a 'near enough' tap. But identifying how the water hoses connect to the original tap (which might or might not have micro-switches) is going to require access to the original tap's plumbing.

It might be practicable to remove the flip-down basin and then cut away a sufficiently large section of the plastic unit directly behind the basin's rear so that the tap's underside and connector's can be reached. But tidily repairing that surgery would not be an easy task.

Realistically, replacing/repairing the wash-basin tap of early Autoquest 115s will have been done sometime in the past and an Elddis dealership might know how best to proceed.

On 5/2/2023 at 12:43 PM, BobbyT 55 said:

...was wondering if I remove the flip down sink, could I drill a big enough hole to remove the existing tap? or will the waterpipes be in the way?

I mentioned that approach in my last posting, but how small a hole would need to be made that would allow a replacement tap to be fitted is anybody's guess.

I'm aware that you have a new tap, but unless you know what the original tap looks like beneath its base and how the water-hoses connect to it, there's no guarantee that the new tap you have can be fitted straightforwardly - and the more work to fit the new tap, the more working-space will be needed and the bigger the hole..

Why do you need to replace the original? As Mickt has said, if the original tap is just dripping, changing that tap's cartridge has a good chance of fixing that problem.

You could try asking for advice on the two larger forums (MotorHomeFun and MotorHomeFacts) as there's more likelihood someone there has practical knowledge of the tap replacement task.

Or you could try the Elddis Motorhome Owners group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1517934578501521/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek, after much deliberation, I bit the bullet and decided to replace the tap myself, after removing the screws on the back panel and removing the sealant I managed to create enough space to remove and replace the tap,all good and saved a fair amount of money. 

Thanks for your input.

Cheers Bob 

image.jpeg.64572494f1880bc26d61940d67600646.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e8ba07a465675c90718a86c79934c5d.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a98131a653e3e909fc2760aa885d14f.jpeg

Archived