French holidays

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
When is the best time NOT to go to France, understand for almost one month its to busy-everywhere. thanks, Be lucky

Guest chris
First weekend in August is called "black weekend" on the roads in France as they all head for their hols. Around 15th August is a bank holiday so ok after that. As i work in education I have no choice to go at this time but have never failed to find a campsite or a stopover place. Biggest, noisiest sites are always full but we prefer quieter 2 or 3 star sites and municipals. If on the coast you could have a problem with campsites in some areas but we just drive on down the road a mile or 2 and find another place. We are always sited over black weekend and don't move for a couple of days before or after that.

Guest Clive
Having just spent June there I can confirm that its a much prettier country than the burnt one seen in August/Sept, the sites are cheaper and much less noise from children as they should be in school! June temperatures around the Med this year were in the low to middle thirties although on one day they made 40. Hot and coastline is more comfortable than hot and inland. Previous to retirement we always travelled during the "black week end" but as we saunter down small roads this has never been a problem. Small out of the way Camping Municipals have never been full where we wander. If you are a motorway man the toll for the Millau viaduct is EU7.3 and you pay first! The view is better from the ground! Good luck

Guest Don Madge
Mike/Clive, Just got back after putting another 4500 miles on the Timberland. We left the Auvergne on Sunday and headed north to Bologne on the A20/N20. Their was a continous stream of caravans/motorhomes going south. Mainly Dutch, I think it's a matter of last one out of the Netherlands turn out the lights. We always avoided France from Bastille Day (14/8) until the public holiday on (15/85). See you at Lincoln? In haste Don

Archived