How fast is yours?

Slightley off TOPIC here are you saying that Coaches that drive over the speed mentioned are in fact not supposed to be doing so?..

I always notice the Coaches with foot down and over taking everything in the middle lane and sometimes in the outside lane..

We do tend to cruise at 55-60 m.p.h. most of the time as our van is comfortable at that speed the OH likes that speed as it saves the moths in his wallet getting upset when filling up.

When travelling on busy motorways M6/M25 etc we up the pace to about 65-70 to keep ahead of the lorries as they get a bit much up your bumper if going around their speed.

However..... there must have been something in the air on Friday as on our way down my OH decided not only to use the M6 toll road (although his moths are ok as I paid) but to try and see how fast our van could go.

We have a mwb high roof Transit with a 135 engine and I can say we got him up to an easily sustained 100 although it was quite windy and the road was wet so not ideal conditions.

Unfortunately this has now spurred him on and he fancies trying again on a dry still day, van filled up with BP ultra diesel, no radio, heater or fridge on and pump the tyres up a bit.

Help think he has gone mad. Any suggestions?

we cruise at about 65mph. However after having my van chipped I had to speed test it and it got up to 90mph. Only once mind.

Sometimes though as others have said, if i am travelling along a european motorway coming home I do tend to cruise at 75 just to get home.

Once we were heading up to Calais on the motorway and a small elderly motorhome shot past us in the outside lane. It was flat out and looked like something out of a cartoon, almost as if the wheels were not touching the ground! On the back was written in large letters, using gaffer tape, "Pete and Sue's Honeymoon Tour." They must have been trying to make a ferry. Must admit we had a good laugh!

John,

The 'Irish' speed limit has always been most noticeable on the M6. It was because they were later than us in fitting speed limiters. But, as part of the EU, they have to be limited to 56mph and they now generally seem to be.

Of course, there are always those who illegally doctor the governers - I was overtaken on the M25 last weekend by a British truck managing a steady 70mph.

Marcob,

From 1 Jan this year ALL LCVs and minibuses with over 8 seats have been limited to 56mph and banned from the outside lane of motorways with more than 2 lanes.

But with the almost total lack of Police Motorway patrols, it's observance is almost totally missing!

However, as indicated in my earlier post, all such new vehicles will have to be factory fitted with a speed limiter from 01.01.08 and existing vehicles will then be required to be retro-fitted within a reasonable time.

What will most drivers then think of being overtaken by a 7.5 tonne RV in the outside lane of the M1?

Mel E

====

I think many people are not thinking correctly. A good cruising speed is based on various factors, the weight carried,power of the engine, and importantly the gearing.

my m/h is 157 bhp 4 tons max and cruises at 70 mph @approx 2250rpm,

my diesel trooper van does around 60mph at 3000 rpm, Its not the speed you are travelling, but how unstrested the engine is which is important.

At 50mph my m/h would not be a happy bunny at all in sixth gear .

I have driven many types of diesal vehicles over 50 years and have never had a problem as i just listen to them. ;-)

Our extra high top La Strada based on a Sprinter will do more than a steady 80mph, but wallet and ease of driving suggests splitting the first 0 in 100 kph (62 mph) ( a little game for the driver to keep alert, especially returning home to Yorkshire after an early evening ferry) both here and over there on motorways/dual carriageways.

Of course, otherwise its strictly in accordance with the speed limit. :$ :$ I do try anyway even with a HGV trying to get close the the bike rack

alan

I tend to think that the French drivers lane dicipline on their motorways is better than the lane dicipline of the brits in the UK.

One of the best comments is by 'trooper' listen to the engine.

Most vehicles have an 'economic' speed. Read the very small print in the technical literature. The Merc I don't know but the VW T5 economics are based on 56mph so that's what I do. Its a normal van, with an auto box and cruise control I can easily run at up to 47mpg on a M/way.

I base my life on always having spare of everything including speed if necessary. Not including the wife.

I have a friend who is obsessed with driving at 70mph on the M/way all the time and wonders why his fuel bill is high.

DonB - 2007-07-11 12:37 PM

Once we were heading up to Calais on the motorway and a small elderly motorhome shot past us in the outside lane. It was flat out and looked like something out of a cartoon, almost as if the wheels were not touching the ground! On the back was written in large letters, using gaffer tape, "Pete and Sue's Honeymoon Tour." They must have been trying to make a ferry. Must admit we had a good laugh!

Was this 2003? If so we saw them in Italy.

Tony

We were once coming back fromSpain and heading for Calais to catch a particular ferry when we were caught in thick fog. Having an eye on the time left I was driving as quickly as possible whist keeping within the limit of my vision. We were overtaken by hundreds of vehicles as if we were standing still. Either they had better opticians than me or there are a lot of totally barking folk on the French motorways!

Archived