Free parking

Vic

I'd just like to share this. In Ely at the weekend I found a couple of free car parks. In the Cathedral car park, the bays next to the coach area will allow for a reasonable sized motorhome to fit in without poking out too much. My Compass is 21 feet and I certainly didn't get in anyone's way. The main point of this is, the time limit is 23 hours. On leaving, you cannot return again within the hour. I checked the regulations on display and found nothing that seemed to prohibit staying in your vehicle whilst parked there. I suppose if the place were to be filled with motorhomes the local authority might have something to say, but, as a one-off over-nighter I can't see there being a problem. Anyone know of any similar car parks?

But why would anyone want to spend a night in Ely? I stayed there one night back in '94 when I was working all round East Anglia and it was a truly amazing place, almost on the stroke of six PM everybody seemed to evaporate from the streets. I tried five different pubs as I recall and the staff all seemed surprised to see a customer 8-) . I moved on to Chatteris the next day, a much more welcoming town. Strange place Ely but it does have a rather good cathedral if you're into architecture.

D.

Now I'm going into hiding :-S

There are a number of councils which allow overnight parking (in some of their car parks if not all) but very few that positively allow overnight camping (usually defined in terms of sleeping/eating).

Control of overnight camping bans seems to depend on whether the council concerned actually has staff working overnight but, in general, it is probably best to check that bye-laws are not being broken before risking being given a fine and/or being told to move on.

See my web site for further details.

Graham

I lived in Ely in the mid to late 70's. Employed by Mrs Windsor at the time. I wouldn't suggest for one moment that it was a vibrant city, but without doubt it was friendly. On subsequent visits, I find the same friendliness. Yes, I have to say that to some degree you will find boy racers tearing around, with car stereo's blaring, just the same as in any urban area, but you can't write it off. It is a nice place to be in, and all the car parks are FREE. If you wander down towards the park near the river you will find brass bands playing on Sundays. But, despite the mega tourist influx, there still is an air of tranquility, a feeling of peace and an easy way of life. Go to Chatteris now and see the changes. Just part of life innit?

Archived