Nylon/plastic door hinges stuck.

Ventoux

Got a big problem with the hinges on my ski compartment door. They have got so stuck I can hardly open the door and it is putting a strain on the bodywork frame. I tried WD40 and cycle oil but may have made it worse.

Anybody experienced this before?

Hi Ventoux

It does seem a common problem with the nylon washers between hinges - we have experienced it before and even our Sun Ti hatch hinges (at one year old!) began to get stiff. The dealer used silicone spray to lubricate them rather than oil - sand it seems to have done the trick.

I will now keep them lubricated regularly with silicone.

Best regards, David

For what its worth I was advised NOT to use silicone on these type fittings. This was on the grounds that silicone dries to a solid and continual use causes a build up which fills the gaps between the surfaces and actually causes the problem you are trying to cure.

I can remember reading a letter in MMM were the writer had a problem with a lock i think and he was advised not to use WD40 on poly carbonate componantes as it made them become brittle instead he was advised to use a spray type furniture polish

:->

Archived