Small motorbikes etc.

John.N

We are elderly (but far from decrepit!) newcomers to the motorhome travelling lifestyle and are loving it having just returned from a three week trip from South Devon to North West Scotland followed immediately by a couple of days near Porlock. We carry a couple of bikes on our Autosleeper Legend but find their range is strictly limited, especially in hilly areas. I am considering the alternative of powered transport and would welcome recomendations of a suitable inexpensive small motorbike, scooter, or moped. (We were bikers in our youth).

John.

John.N - 2007-07-15 2:07 PM

We are elderly (but far from decrepit!) newcomers to the motorhome travelling lifestyle and are loving it having just returned from a three week trip from South Devon to North West Scotland followed immediately by a couple of days near Porlock. We carry a couple of bikes on our Autosleeper Legend but find their range is strictly limited, especially in hilly areas. I am considering the alternative of powered transport and would welcome recomendations of a suitable inexpensive small motorbike, scooter, or moped. (We were bikers in our youth).

John.

Hi John,

Clive might just have what you need, see "Monkey Bikes" http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Motorcycles.htm

He should be back from the Lincoln Show tomorrow and he will give you some more info.

Don

Guest caraprof

You may also consider electric bikes. No tax or insurance and a range of 20 miles or more. I've just ordered one of these http://www.50cycles.com/liv_specs.shtml

There's a link to a recent test of it on the page if you're interested.

When it comes I shall report on my findings.

What interests me the most about these is that they can also involve moderate exercise which, the older one gets is very important. Pedalling on the flat is easy on any bike but with an electric one you go that bit faster and it really comes into its own on hills, where the electrical assistance makes climbing a steep hill quite easy. On the flat you can, if you're not in a hurry, switch off the power to save the battery for when you really need it, thus extending your range considerably.

The batteries come off and can be charged in the 'van, although of course you need to be on an electric hook up! They are light enough to carry two on a decent bike rack.

Heard from a motorhome owning friend who has a bike shop yesterday. He sells electric bikes and had a couple in who wanted to put two on the back of their MH.

He advised them against it as they were too heavy for the back of a MH and tried to sell them some ordinary bikes. However, their mind was made up and they went out and bought some elsewhere.

They ripped the back off their MH and did £8000 worth of damage not including the bikes!!!

Beware!!

Guest caraprof

A typical bike rack such as a Fiamma Pro C will hold two bikes weighing up to a total of 60 Kg. There are some superb electric bikes available weighing about 20 - 24kg (minus the battery). The batteries should be carried in the 'van.

The important thing is for the bike rack to be correctly fitted and secured through the strong cross members on the rear of the structure.

The main point however is that two electric bikes are surely lighter than a small motorcyle?

caraprof - 2007-07-15 6:18 PM

The main point however is that two electric bikes are surely lighter than a small motorcyle?

I think the point is that a motorcycle rack wouldn't be bolted to the van back but on the chassis.

I occasionally carry one electric bike (a Powabyke) which is quite heavy but travels OK with a conventional bike alongside it. I've pretty much given up taking it though as it's heavy to put up and down (of neccesity my rack is fitted quite high) and it's a nuisance having to fit the battery, charge it etc. I now use the ordinary bike most of the time.

Although you can get light electric bikes, cheap ones should be avoided (not suggesting yours are cheap Frank) as the extra strain put on a bike by the extra weight and pull of the motor will b****r up a frame not designed for it.

Guest caraprof

My point is that two electric bikes probably won't weigh any more that one motorcycle, so the weight argument goes out of the window. If anyone is worried about fitting two bikes on a typical bike rack they too have the option of a chassis mounted rack.

Many modern electric bikes are not a lot heavier than conventional bikes and you often see three of four bikes being carried on a rear fitted rack so I don't think that carrying just two electric ones ought to be a problem.

The story about £8000 of damage, has the whiff of an urban myth about it but even if it's true the problem in this case is more likely to have been one of a badly secured bike rack than the weight of the bikes.

My fitter is going to the trouble of getting a drawing from the manufacturer, which will show the cross members and best fixing points so as to ensure that it will cope with it's maximum weight without damaging the rear wall.

How many motorhomes do you see with a rear ladder that allows a man weighing 4 electric bikes to climb on? The secret is in the way that it is fitted.

Hi John,

Like yourself, I used to ride a motorcycle in my youth, but didn't bother to take my test at the time.

When I bought the motorhome I initially carried a mountain bike on the back which was ok for local use, but in summer, I found it too hot and uncomfortable to travel far.

As I normally stay in one place for a few days and then move on, I decided to take my test and get a motorcycle. It really has made such a difference to my trips regarding sightseeing and shopping etc. I tow the motorcycle on a trailer and on arrival at a site, unload it and fit the panniers.

The motorhome stays put until I'm ready to move on.

If you haven't ridden a motorcycle for many years, then I would urge you to take a refresher course from a motorcycle training school.

I booked the whole package from a local school, and have to say, I learnt so much from the Instructors and felt very confident when test day arrived.

Hi John

We have a 50cc Scooter which is a Jinlun (Chinese) and costs £800 brand new on the road from Scootex in South Wales. It will do 50mph on flat/downhill with 2 up (Combined weight of 25 stones) but struggles a bit uphill to about 20mph if steep. Automatic, 4 Stroke engine about 100 MPG, weighs 75 kilos, has electric start, 2 mirrors, fold-out footrests and a double seat. This goes easily into the garage of our van but I have to take the mirrors off to get it through the door. I have noticed no drop of power/performance with the van when it is on board. You can drive this on a standard car licence if you don't have a motorcycle licence and carry a passenger. Insurance is £60 pa and road tax is £15. Helmets are compulsory. Hope this helps

Mike

Archived