Seafood Restaurant

Grumpyman

We have just returned from  Scotland  . Driving  towards  Oban saw a sign for a seafood restaurant  near Appin. Driving down a narrow road  arriving at  said restaurant  it was heaving with cars and a couple  of motorhomes parked either side of the road.  We had nowhere  to turn around  as it is a dead-end. Eventually reversed  out and did damage too rear end. Annoyingly  half a mile further  along the  main road  was a pub/in with a huge carpark that served  delicious food.so the advice is do not go too the said  restaurant  anything larger than very small  camper van. 

grumpyman 

I'm guessing that the seafood restaurant near Appin will have been "The Clam"

https://www.facebook.com/theclamseafood/

and that the nearby pub with huge carpark will have been "The Old Inn"

https://www.facebook.com/theoldinnappin/?locale=en_GB

but it would be helpful for motorhome owners visiting that area if you could confirm whether that is the case.

Unlikely to have been The Clam as that is at the Old Inn itself and shares a common phone number. The only other renowned seafood restaurant that springs to mind (in an area I know well) is the Pierhouse at Port Appin, by the Lismore passenger ferry 'terminal', which is indeed at the end of a narrow-ish road and is always mobbed and often difficult to park and turn at - but the turning off of the Oban road comes after the Old Inn if travelling towards Oban so Grumpyman would have had to back-track to reach it (the Old Inn).

https://pierhousehotel.co.uk/

Edited by Steve928

Ah, then I'm afraid I'd misunderstood that part of your post.

So any forum reader driving south on the A828 towards Oban, who fancies visiting a fish restaurant as they approach Appin, and especially if driving a motorhome, would be best advised to favour the Old Inn (on the A828 1 mile north of Appin, with adequate parking), over being tempted to continue the further mile to Appin and then turning right for Port Appin.  This, in view of a) the narrowness of the (un-numbered) Port Appin road, b) the lack of suitable parking in Port Appin, and c) (as the road is a 2.5 mile cul-de-sac), the absence of adequate turning space on arrival.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, Brian Kirby said:

Ah, then I'm afraid I'd misunderstood that part of your post.

So any forum reader driving south on the A828 towards Oban, who fancies visiting a fish restaurant as they approach Appin, and especially if driving a motorhome, would be best advised to favour the Old Inn (on the A828 1 mile north of Appin, with adequate parking), over being tempted to continue the further mile to Appin and then turning right for Port Appin.  This, in view of a) the narrowness of the (un-numbered) Port Appin road, b) the lack of suitable parking in Port Appin, and c) (as the road is a 2.5 mile cul-de-sac), the absence of adequate turning space on arrival.

Many thanks to all for this info. We'll bear this in mind when up in this area.

We are planning a long tour of Scotland this year instead of our usual trips to Germany. As we have a large Hymer A class and this kind of info from others who have toured Scotland is invaluable.

Suffice to say that due to our size of Motorhome we will not be attempting the NC 500 roads.

Edited by Thai Bry

As far as I am concerned this is just another reason not to tour here in nothing but a car. In eleven years of touring several countries in europe but mainly France I have never come across anywhere that I couldn't go and even when I did find myself on a narrow bit of road there was invariably nothing coming against me or I quickly found somewhere to turn around. I have just returned from a four week tour and even after eleven years of visiting France  time and time again we found ourselves in areas of outstanding beauty that generally had empty roads and aires for us to have the most relaxing time. Friends have just asked us if we would like to join them on a October trip to Scotland but we said no thankyou and will just go back to France again which will make it three times this year and quite frankly we cant wait to go.