Electric bike battery upgrade

laimeduck

A technical question for you electrikery people out there please, ref electric bikes.

I have two 8 year old lightweight fold up bikes which have 200 watt motors, 36 Volt Lion batteries of 6.6 Ah.
We take them in the garage of our Benimar and have used them regularly. We like the size of the bikes.
We tend to pedal most of the time and conserve the batteries for hills or the trip back to the van as the range is not huge but I have noticed that we have to charge them more often recently.

I don't think we can obtain exact replacement batteries as the packs sit inside the frame and are a specific fitting, to my knowledge no longer made. At this stage I do not want to buy replacement bikes.

So, I am wondering if I could buy eg a replacement Lion battery of eg 36 Volt but say 12-15 Ah which I could bolt on the rear rack and which I could simply "wire" into the existing system? It would seem I can buy these for well under £200

a) Am I right in thinking the motor and controller would simply "take what it needed from this battery set up?
b) Or would this interfere with the exiting pedal assist box of tricks?
c) Would the range double with the larger Ah batteries?
d) Would I need a large diameter wire to make the new connection?

e) Anything else I should consider?

(I am no electrician, and have a limited knowledge of all things electrikery ... eg I can make a solder joint and wire a plug, but if you start talking resistors, diodes, capacitors, buses etc, my eyes will glaze over fairly quickly!)

Thanks

Jeremy

35 minutes ago, Robinhood said:

...have you checked whether it is possible to get the battery(ies) re-celled?...

(Generally only possible if the battery is cased and can be removed from (within) the frame, which isn't obvious from your post.)

Robin thanks .... the battery is easily removed.

I was rather thinking of having the ability of continuing to use the existing battery and "switching" from one to another. I wanted to increase the Ah so the range would be increased .. not sure if that would be possible if we simply re-celled?

Jeremy

1 hour ago, colin said:

I'm not sure how your system would recognise the power levels left in battery, might work, but I don't know. I would warn that there is a increasing problem with 'cheap' battery packs catching fire which would concern me more.

No idea Colin .... it has a simple traffic light LED display, Green, Amber, Red.

If your battery has a plug and socket that you can disconnect , I would think the simple way is to have a rear rack battery of the same voltage and ah that you require, then run on your old battery until it is finished, then unplug it and connect the replacement battery .

Brian B.

Well I'll add my two penneth !

I also have a folding pair of bikes - Prorider bought 11 years ago and both still going well - albeit now with replacement batteries to replace the worn out originals ( 5 years plus in use every week)

These bikes have semi universal 36v battery packs originally specified at 10 Ah which slide down the frame and an integrated plug mates with a socket on the bike frame at the base.

Now the battery plug only has two outlet pins (ie just 36v nominal, so no further sensing outputs) and yet the display on the handlebar provides remaining capacity on a row of LEDs. So the capacity/remaining range is just calculated from battery voltage present. Also I bought these from a seller ( Chinese ?) on the Chinese "ebay" AliExpress via stock in Germany at half the price of ProRider and other UK Bike suppliers . But the main thing was these were increased capacity at 15Ah. I appreciate scepticism may creep in here, but the range we obtained, and still always obtain far exceeds that of the original batteries.

So if your bike, and its motor controller is anything like mine, my experience shows other nominal 36v batteries will be fine - including greater capacity.