Bulbs in Lidl

Ralph

Mel E - 2007-07-16 2:52 PM

These are normally over £1 each - though yopu can get 2 for just over £1 in Ikea. My experience is that the Ikea bulbs do not last well. I wonder just how good the Lidl bulbs are?

Mel E

====

Dunno, but at that price??

I find these bulbs ok and even managed to find 10 W version in French brico. As these type of high energy bulbs are banned in Australia how do caravanners motor or otherwise manage?Also if we have these regs in 2010 what the heck are we going to do?.Alec

g4oip - 2007-07-16 4:39 PM

I find these bulbs ok and even managed to find 10 W version in French brico. As these type of high energy bulbs are banned in Australia how do caravanners motor or otherwise manage?Also if we have these regs in 2010 what the heck are we going to do?.Alec

Alec from Oz,

Actually 10 watts is not a lot of energy. But rules do come into force (not affecting motorhomes, I hasten to add) in 2010 forcing us to use low energy bulbs. The details (as ever with Government environmental initiatives) are a little unclear, but the easy answer is to switch to LED bulbs which, tho' expensive right now will become much cheaper as volume grows.

As it happens, next Monday's Lidl offer also includes 18 LED GU10 (that's the bayonet halogen fitting) for £3.99 each which is very good value (tho' they also have 3 conventional halogen GU10s for £4.99 - 30 or 50 watt).

Part of the problem is that modern houses have an excessive number of downlighters. Our landing has no fewer than 8 x 50 watt GU10s totalling 400 watts. Our previous house with an almost identical landing shape and area had 2 x 60 watt filament bulbs and still seemed as light as Wembley Stadium on a match night!

We are switching the downlighters to 35 watt and will change those that are 'on' for long periods to LED replacements.

Mel E

====

I should have noted that LEDs produce a lot less light. Typically a 3 watt replacement for a 50 watt GU10 halogen light produces only about 10% of the lumens.

But they are getting better and brighter. Cluster LED replacement bulbs are still at a very early stage. But they last about 50,000 hours against incandescent bulbs' 1,000 hours.

I'll let you know how I get on in my experiement to change over.

Incidentally you can also get GU10 low energy lamps now and they can save a fortune, but are not the same shape as conventional GU10 lamps so stick out of the holder somewhat. So it's aesthetics versus electricity bill.

Sorry I never mentioned the date but I assumed you would follow the link and see it.

I changed the spotlights (60 watts each) in our kitchen for low energy ones of 7 watts each bought from Ikea, probably the best source for low energy bulbs.

The only conventional bulbs in my house are those in the living room where I use dimmer switches. AFAIK you can't dim low energy types.

I have some 150 watt filiament bulbs in places where I do small electronic work. So far I have been unable to find any low energy replacements for them that provide anything like the same lumens or as a point source of light.

Any suggestions (other than stronger glasses)

C.

leds can be dimmed quite easilly by reducing the current.

Some modern cars use the same leds for tail and stop functions. When the stop light function is used more current is passed through the leds to make them brighter.

Also with multi-coloured led arrays different colour leds require different currents to obtain the same level of brightness.

ooo yes!

Archived