Garmin 780 Sat Nav

stevec176

I've had a Garmin 780 motorhome sat nav for nearly 2 years and most of the time I'm happy with the routes it displays but occasionally it takes me on some strange routes that I can't understand why. For example,  today it took me through a town to join the same road further along and then it took me down a narrow track rather than the main road. I've checked the route settings and I can't see anything that I can change. Has anyone else got the 780 or similar and how are you finding the routing?

Steve

A GOOGLE-search on garmin camper sat nav odd routing may be worth doing.

I vaguely recall a long forum discussion where someone insisted that a sat-nav's performance should be 100% logical and accurate 100% of the time and irrespective of where and how the vehicle was being driven. I said that for me -  an ex computer programmer - it was a wonder that sat-navs worked at all and 99.9% logic and accuracy was all that one could realistically ask.

There's no doubt that, when your sat-nav does produce perverse routing, there's a logical reason why it does this. However - unless it does it regularly and predictably - there's little chance of you identifying why.

Have checked my settings as per Garmin Help and all my settings and updates are correct. Is this just a Garmin glitch or are other Sat Navs doing the same? I've started using the sat nav on my phone as a comparison and that often gives a better route. Just have to keep my fingers crossed. 

20 hours ago, mtravel said:

Artificial intelligence. My Garmin sometimes drives me on different routes between A to B or B to A.

Proved two times at least in France between Frejus and Montpellier.

Simple calculator maths ?

Dual carriage ways have different Center line lengths so route in one direction seen shorter than the other.

It takes AI to find new farm tracks that can shorten your journey;-))

rgds

Our Tom Tom some years back took us off the Mediterranean motorway through a nice village and back onto the motorway at the same junction. 
made us smile no damage done and only took a few mins. 
that was the first and last time it’s thrown a wobbly 

This link may be of interest

https://www.lifewire.com/trilateration-in-gps-1683341

However, members of the Deep State will know that GPS technology was actually a free gift to humanity by aliens with interstellar travelling abilities who have an invisible base on the dark side of the moon and a perverse sense of humour. (Luckily not a problem for me since my conversion to an immortal AI consciousness in 2021.)

image.png.8ca2a7500ab43fd5d963204ecf5fe9c6.png

I'll only have +90% faith in a satnav truck version when it is capable of prewarning me that route that I am about to travel has just been blocked by an illegally parked car, or a fallen tree, or a house on a narrow Spanish street where the owner has decided to cantilever a new balcony over the street a week earlier  @ 2.9m !

Complete faith will rely on the even better Mk 2 'Prophetic' Version.

My Garmin 795 tried to take me down a very unsuitable route in Potas in the Picos of Spain. The 1st left was OK, a decent size road but then it wanted me to turn right down a cobbled street with over hanging buildings which would have taken us back to the main road. Luckily I realised before turning that the road was unsuitable so was able to make a U-turn. It tried to do something similar on the return journey wanting me to turn up the cobbled street. I assume a mapping error.

I believe a lot of users forget that a SatNav is just a tool and like any other tool one has to use the brain to use it effectively. If you follow them without any questions at some point you are bound to be caught out.

I confess to being caught out myself travelling on a German Autobahn where it took me off at a junction, back the other way to the previous junction and back on to the motorway then straight on, totally pointless. The stupid part for me was I knew that there was at least 50 miles before I needed to switch to another Autobahn but a moment's lack of thinking and following the instructions allowed this to happen.

Lesson learned for me anyway.

Bas

2 hours ago, Basil said:

The stupid part for me was I knew that there was at least 50 miles before I needed to switch to another Autobahn but a moment's lack of thinking and following the instructions allowed this to happen.

Lesson learned for me anyway.

Bas

Just the thing I don't want occurring when on the M25. Taking an unintended detour off the M25 in my non LEZ compliant van will result in a £300 charge. (>3.5t). Lesson certainly will be learned if it ever happens. 

Edited by simians

This fairly recent RAC webpage may be of interest

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/sat-navs-set-to-have-algorithms-updated-to-move-traffic-away-from-shortcuts/

I remember shopping at a hypermarket near the Caen ring-road and, when it came time to leave and it was obvious that the ring-road was jammed solid, I set my Garmin sat-nav to use a cross-country road that looked like a straightforward route to where I wanted to go. Everything was fine for a while and I was congratulating myself on my cleverness (though I did wonder why so few other vehicles were taking this 'diversion'). Then I came to a large village that had adopted weapons-grade anti-rat-run measures that were difficult enough for a car to negotiate never mind a 6m+-long coachbuilt motorhome. My wife was suitably scathing...

I was looking for the Dunkirk ferry. A bit daft of me I know, but silly old me thought that it might be in Dunkirk so I drove around looking for a sign saying "Ferry" or even the French equivalent. Time was running out. I had allowed an hour before sailing time but there was no ferry to be seen. So I went to my new posh expensive Garmin and keyed in 'Dunkirk ferry" and all the combinations I could think of. Time had actually run out, it was 10 minutes before sailing time. I keyed in 'nearest ferry port'. It directed me to Cowes. So I thought I would use Garmin Logic and keyed in "Dover Ferry Port" and it duly directed me to the Dunkirk ferry port at Loon Plage, 18km from Dunkirk, and then across the water to Dover. I broke all sorts of speed limits and arrived at the ferry which was still there 20 minutes after its sailing time, and the fluorescent-jacketed man waved furiously at me to get on board. I made it. I then wrote to Camping and Caravan Club to suggest to them that they put the address and postcode of the ports on the tickets that they issue. I don't suppose they have. Other companies do, and you need it. For example Rotterdam port is about half the size of Holland and it takes 20 minutes of driving at 60mph to get from the entrance of the port to the ferry terminal.

16 hours ago, simians said:

Just the thing I don't want occurring when on the M25. Taking an unintended detour off the M25 in my non LEZ compliant van will result in a £300 charge. (>3.5t). Lesson certainly will be learned if it ever happens. 

There are signs when you are about to enter an LEZ, aren't there? I wonder how often the residents near these signs see the road blocked, as vehicles stop and do three point turns to get out of it. I would not hesitate to do whatever it takes to avoid entering one of these zones. Apparently a Honda 90 scooter which does 130mpg has to pay because instead of measuring the amount of pollution a vehicle generates per mile which would be sensible, they measure the percentage of pollution that comes out of an exhaust. Personally I won't go inside the M25, it's out of bounds. Or Sheffield or Bath or .....or .. . . .or.....

Europe has it sorted better, you pay €3.60 and get a badge which allows you into most towns and cities, it isn't a mayor's personal empire building system as it is here. Apparently Bristol collects £250,000 a day from fines for their LEZ.

Edited by gassygassy