Sat nav questions.

Brian Kirby

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but do any/all of the portable systems (of which it seems the various Tom-Toms are possibly the most versatile?) allow you to use a computer for route planning, so that you can insert your waymarks etc on a decent sized screen, so defining your route; and then transfer the result to the sat nav for it to just concentrate on getting you there?

I just have the impression that many of these units are OK if you set up your route on the unit, or just leave it to do the routing.

I normally choose the route using a combination of Autoroute and maps, and my "human nav" always gets us there.  The downside is that she spends nearly all the trip with a road atlas on her lap, and consequently can't watch the scenery too much or she loses our place on the map! 

What I'd like to do is use much the same process as now, so that the sat nav is pushed down "my" preferred route, so leaving my "human nav" largely redundant and free to enjoy the view.  Hope this all makes sense!

Also, assuming this is possible: if a diversion takes one away from a computer set waymark, can that waymark be cancelled from the sat nav on the fly, so leaving the unit to calculate the most logical route to the next following point?

Hi Brian,

If you use Autoroute to set up your route, why not use a laptop with the Autoroute as your sat nav. We do this and you have a nice big screen with the route displayed, with a much larger peripheral area shown, also autoroute gives you more options for route and driving preferences.

David

ps the human sat nav still likes a map on her lap.

Hi Brian,

If I am looking at complex and various routes between two or more points then AR is the route planner to use, its quicker at analysing routes than any standalone Satnav and twice as fast, as fast as a speeding bullet I understand - it finds the route at 3000 mph!

As for transferring the route from AR to a Satnav, the only way I have found is by inputting waypoints into the satnav taken from AR, I always use the AR location finder and input the GPS co-ords. Even after inputting the waypoints, you really have to browse the route, never trust the satnav without checking the route before you set off.

As you know the routing algorithms depend on so many variables, fast car, slow car, lorry, fast route, slow route, its probable that even using identical devices and routing between the same two points, it will work out different routes unless the all variables are set identical, even then routing might be different if you have TMC. So there is no way you can directly copy an identical route from AR to any satnav, even if the software were compatible, the software routing algorithm will most certainly be different and impossible to mimic between two devices.

Regarding re-routing, most satnavs will give the opportunity of blocking roads offering blocking for a set number of miles ahead, and will work out a new route on the fly, by just tapping the screen.

We find the same as you before satnav, the wife knew most roads in France by heart and could put any commercial driver on the right road from memory, but missed some nice scenery while the head was buried in the map obtaining “the knowledge”. Now she loves the scenery and the freedom of route worry – but doesn’t know where it is!

Regards Terry

we have been to woodhall spa bainland site this weekend. autoroute took us miles out of our way. it took us almost 2 hours to get there from nottingham. following friends on the return journey using sat-nav we were back in 1hour 15 minutes. will be investing in a tom-tom before next trip.

The Tom Tom 910 allows you to set an itinerary. I used an earlier version by selecting the towns on route particularly in France which worked well for me, It gave me an idea how far i was travelling and when to search out an overnight campsite. it never failed to take right to the entrance.

You can use the map screens to pick a destination point.

Pete

Guest JudgeMental

The problem is that you do not get the maps on DVD anymore unless you buy specific units (still some garmin units )

latest NUVI from garmin is like TT and a backward step in my book - I know you can plan route on autoroute convert and download but I like the simplicity of curent set up

all I do is plan route on large screen on excellent maps and when finished plug in GPS and download - it takes minutes.

problem with my old 2610 is it has no POI capability so I have to painstakingly down load these as individual waypoints...

will change it soon though probably new TT 720

"what is the best tom-tom"

probably new 520 UK and 720 Europe - 510 710 and 910 are defunct

I have a Tom Tom 910 and use the itinery planner to set the route I would prefer to go. Sound's odd. I know. But say you want a route say from Calais to Bordaux, it will probably route you round Paris. Most of us prefer to go by Rouen. (I think.)

Also you can do a lot of planning on the laptop wih the Tom Tom connected and the Tom Tom display appeears on the laptop screen, thus easier to see.

You can alter the route at any time just by tapping the screen. It is advisable always to check a normal map as well as some of the routes it has give me have been by a slightly roundabout route and through busy towns.

Clive.

Guest caraprof
Brian Kirby - 2007-07-16 7:08 PM

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but do any/all of the portable systems (of which it seems the various Tom-Toms are possibly the most versatile?) allow you to use a computer for route planning, so that you can insert your waymarks etc on a decent sized screen, so defining your route; and then transfer the result to the sat nav for it to just concentrate on getting you there?

I just have the impression that many of these units are OK if you set up your route on the unit, or just leave it to do the routing.

I normally choose the route using a combination of Autoroute and maps, and my "human nav" always gets us there.  The downside is that she spends nearly all the trip with a road atlas on her lap, and consequently can't watch the scenery too much or she loses our place on the map! 

What I'd like to do is use much the same process as now, so that the sat nav is pushed down "my" preferred route, so leaving my "human nav" largely redundant and free to enjoy the view.  Hope this all makes sense!

Also, assuming this is possible: if a diversion takes one away from a computer set waymark, can that waymark be cancelled from the sat nav on the fly, so leaving the unit to calculate the most logical route to the next following point?

One thing worth remembering Brian, is that many satnavs are rechargeable, as is my TomTom 910. When I'm planning a route I do it in the comfort of my armchair and the touch screen is incredibly easy to use.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of a complicated itinerary plan you could use a little trick that I do.

Let's say that you want to drive from Sussex to Bolton but for some reason, wish to go via an address in Nottingham and Chesterfield.

You programme in the Bolton address, start the route guidance (all in your armchair) and then you cancel it. You then do the same for the Chesterfield one and the Nottingham one.

When you start your journey you set the route using the 'Recent Destinations' option, which takes seconds. So you touch the Nottingham option and as soon as you've reached Nottingham you tap in the Chesterfield one and so on.

Using the 'Recent Destinations' option saves retyping what may be a complicated address and you can do it whilst on the move, or your wife can.

You've mentioned one of the main advantages of satnav, which is to give your partner a break and help her enjoy the journey. My wife would not be without our TomTom.

Brian

I use CoPilot 6.0 on a PDA, this allows the option of full trip planning on your PC or straight from the PDA, you can add as many stops,waypoints as you like. You then save as a trip and download to your PDA, it also allows you to save your trip with the facility to add a corridor of varying distance from your route if you wish, it also has a dedicated RV Vehicle type setting which is fully customisable for speeds,road types etc.

It allows downloads of all POI's in CSV or TomTom OV2 format.

It also has live tracking of your vehicle and with a GPRS phone 2 way messaging direct if you want.

I have used this product throughout UK + Europe for the last 4 years without any major problems including Italy which does have issues on TomTom, being an optimist I have bought and used TomTom but while TomTom has a slightly simpler interface CoPilot reacts quicker to human error and is not difficult to use.

As far as I know it is available for PDA,Smartphone and Laptop but not as a TomTom type single unit, the software is also OEM for BMW,Audi and other prestige marques.

http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info PM or email me

Chris

You cannnot beat writing down your main route the previous night from a paper map onto a small pad and fixing it on the facia.

The SATNAV is fine if you get lost or as an aid to the journey.

I can usually remember the route once written down. My passenger is invalided and unreliable for directions. Wrong turnings are part of the game, seeing something unplanned is a bonus.

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-16 7:08 PM

>> Yes they do Brian.  Depending upon the type of thing you wanted to do you can use a variety of tooks to active very good results.  You could use AutoRoute to plan your journey via a number of waypoints.  Save the file in its native .AXE format then use ITN Convert to convert it into the TomTom .ITN format.  Copy the .ITN file into the ITN folder on your TomTom and there you have your itinerary.

>> If its just a quick 'Navigate To' or I want to go to 'B' via 'A' and 'C' then you can always use the inbuilt ITN Planner but the screen is small and you need to keep zooming in and out to see where you are.  But it does work.

>> Bravo Brian.  That is EXACTLY why we bought a SatNav and have owned four between us over the years.  The passenger gets to chill and watch the towns and villages and the driver has a knowledgable navigator sat besides them.  Yes there are hitches from time to time but can people honestly say they've never gone wrong reading a paper map!!

>> Yes I agree.  The above explains how to achive your heart's desire (oh, and the attached should help)

>> Yes it can.  You have to be a little careful when selecting waypoints as the vehicle wants to drive over the top of it.  If using AutoRoute, I would advise zooming into the road before selecting it as a waypoint - particularly if it's a dual carriageway.  I've been caught out once or twice where I'd picked the other side of the road.  The result was that it took me North then around a roundabout heading South again - over the waypoint - to the next roundabout then around that before heading North again.  Not it's fault - it was only doing as it was programmed to do!!!

When you look at the Itinerary Planner it shows a list of points along your route.  Some of these could be waypoints whilst others could be destinations, like a multi drop delivery for example.  If you decide to misout one of these just tap the screen and choose 'Mark as Visited' and it will ignore it and plot a route to the next waypoint/destination.

Have a read of the attached document which I wrote a while ago.  It talks about TomTom but the principle is straightforward enough to adapt to almost any device.

itinerary_for_tomtom.pdf

When itinary planning on a TT, The satnav either allows me to drive past the waypoint and ignores the waypoint so directs me to the next waypoint.

Other times it directs me to the waypoint and if I pass it, the satnav keeps directing me back until I cancel the waypoit or mark it as visited.

Is there any way I can just enter waypoints and have the TT ignore them as I pass by ?

Rgds

As long as you drive 'over the top' of the waypoint it should be cancelled and then allow you to go on to the next waypoint.  The only time that it normally gets you to go back is when its missed it.  For instance if its on the other carriageway or halfway up a bank!  If you zoom into the road before marking the waypoint it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Or if you have a lot of spare cash the Garmin 7200.

It has POI and an MP3 player amongst other goodies and you can plan your route on the laptop using the supplied Mapsource map disc then download it to the unit.

If you listen to music on route you can listen via the 7200 either with a direct input or transmitted to your radio. When the nice lady wants to tell you to make an illegal U turn she first mutes the music so you are not straining to hear her over your U2 album.

You can also get the optional traffic alet (lifetime) kit for it and it will auto reroute round any jams.

We have had one for a short while and so far it has performed impecably.

One other (IMHO) opinion is the 7" screen - much easier to use!

Have to admit that I still prefer Garmin - only tried one TT and wasn't impressed but others are happy with 'em so horses for courses.

Have I missed something reading through this string? What are the pros and cons of using Autoroute 2007 on a laptop as your navigator, compared with the recommendations in these last two - apart from the hundreds of pounds you save? I ask because I am close to buying a laptop and had thought of getting A/R 2007 as well. The only "con" that i have picked up is that A/R doesn't automatically redirect you if you go wrong.

Brian

I have considered using a laptop as a sat nav but decided it would be too dangerous. The only successful method I have seen was in a top of the range Hymer where the sole German occupant had made a dedicated support for his laptop fixed between the front seats. He had the laptop controling many other things in the 'van too.

I have seen people driving along with the lappie balanced on the dash thinking that the rubbery matting would actually prevent their pride and joy from becoming airborne should they have to brake or have to make a sudden avoidance change of direction.

If you have a passenger who is going to look after the machine and you make a dedicated table with clips it would be relatively safe but if you have a 'van with airbags positioning the table could be problematic as, in an accident, when the bag is deployed the passenger could end up wearing the laptop permanently.

Use a laptop by all means but please make sure it is safely harnessed. For me using a dedicated unit which is safely mounted is preferrable.

Guest JudgeMental

My preference has always been for Garmin. one reason is there excellent customer support.

the 7200 is expensive. there are other Garmin products that still come with separate maps on DVD which have route download capabilities. they are the 2820 and the Zumo. the Zumo is for bikes but suitable for cars as well. It may well be my next option...

If I can get my head around downloading autoroute to TT I may well go for thr new TT720 out this month. this will be based on price alone

Brian, instead of a dedicated unit, think of getting an PDA instead. We started with Mitac Mio 168 that came with Co-Pilot software, hated the software, especially when the PDA was playing up in France and lost the software, we re-loaded it and could only reactivate the software by ringing the UK twice! There were other things we weren't happy with as it had some really weird routing ways so we ditched Co-Pilot for Tom Tom, various versions as they've come out and have been very pleased with it, did try a sample of new software called Igo which is very good but at the mo it's not got many POIs etc available for it like Tom Tom so we're sticking with TT for now.

A PDA means that you have a choice, it also is good for viewing photos, writing notes, calendar, diary, alarm clock, mini Word, Excel etc, even email and web browsing if you have a link set up. It takes the same SD card as my camera as well. The PDA is small and easy to use and we can use it whilst walking, cycling etc, the dedicated units on the whole are a bit more chunky. The other probelm with a dedicated unit means you're stuck with that producer's software for good.

Mel

Software is wonderful LOL, we had the opposite to you, TT crashing and CoPilot running OK, still don't trust any of them totally, but I feel that a PDA is more useful than dedicated units, for my sins I travel a lot on business and a PDA beats carrying the housebrick (laptop) with you.

Chris

Archived