Sat nav questions.

Brian Kirby

Guest caraprof

PDAs are a compromise. I think that I'll know as much about Palm OS as anyone on this forum. I've been an afficionado and a 'power user' for years. I currently use a Palm TX with, which I will occasionally download email when abroad, but only occasionally as the phones calls are expensive. Occasionally I'll find a free wi-fi spot if I'm luckly!

But for Interent access they're useless as the screens are tiny and they're slow. There's absolutely no competition with a decent laptop for accessing the web. They're fine for a diary, contacts list and many other applications but come one! I have Documents to Go but there's no way that I want to start writing a long letter on a PDA and I'm a fast graffiti writer!

I have all three, a PDA, a laptop and a TomTom 910. The only thing that I may leave at home is the laptop because if I'm on holiday, that I can manage without.

My TomTom is brilliant! My Palm TX is brilliant but using a PDA as a sat nav is like using a phone as a camera. It's a compromise and will never give as good a result as the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Caraprof about using a phone as a camera, but I cannot agree that using a PDA is a compromise. As far as TomTom is concerned it is the same software and maps whether on a PDA or as a dedicated unit. I have used TT on a PDA since Navigator version one, and been delighted.

The only downside I see is that if you use TomTom Home it is more set up for dedicated units than PDA's, but I only use Home for downloading maps.

I find the best solution for us, with our Tom Tom 710 is to enter our various waymarks as favorites instead of "along the route". This way if we divert or are diverted off our planned route, we simply select the next from the list of favorites and the Tom Tom will normally work out the route for us by the time we are ready to move off..

Takes a few minutes setting up at home before the journey, but I don't find it to be any longer than setting them as waypoints on the overall route.

Still unwise to rely 100% on any Sat Nav, what back-up you require is down to your knowledge of general area.

I went the Sat Nav route because I am not keen on the Laptop being on the dash. If it's in view by the driver may invite the attention of the Law, as well as the safety aspects in the event of a collision.

That's a good tip about creating favourites.  We tend to do that for the sites we stay on, that way, if you go out for the day you just need to 'navigate to' your favourite and it'll take you straight there from any direction.

Its also useful if you decide to go there again next time but are using a different route or itinerary.

I also agree about using a PDA.  The software is identical and had the same capability as a dedicated device.  I used one for years before getting a GO 710.

We had one or two problems when we were in Germany two weeks ago.  I changed the units to Metres / Kilometres as it corresponded to road signs but our 'American gal voice' wasn't too happy.  I'm sooo pleased we also had a picture of the road because there were a couple of occasions where she said turn left but the picture showed a right turn.

One time I came up a narrow road and she (and the picture) said turn sharp left.  This involved a 5-point turn in our 23 footer including using someone's driveway.  Imagine my reaction when the picture and voice then said "Turn around when possible".

But, we did get her to come out with a first for us.  We planned a route from Rudesheim to St. Goar which would involve crossing the Rhine.  During the journey she came out with "In 200 metres turn left and take the ferry" and there it was, waiting for us.

We use out TT and find it a great advantage but you can never get rid of the map completely if you really want to plan your route. We live in a village that has been closed to through traffic but the maps haven't been altered. There are signs everywhere but the idiots still try to come through because the satnav has directed them.

The BBC say this morning that we are losing the method of map reading due to satnavs. Some people apparently think blue motorways are rivers. No hope for them with or without a map or satnav!!

Use it as a guide only and they are fine.

Agree completely John.

Whilst I am a great devote of SatNav I still use a paper map to get a general feel for the area and surroundings.

I also particularly like the Memory Map OS25 Ordnance maps available on PC.  They are identical to the paper maps but they go on your PC or laptop.  You can zoom out for a general view or zoom in to find that PO or farmhouse.  Sunstantially more detailed than AutoRoute.  Very useful for planning the following day's trip.

Archived