Fiamma door security spacer kit

GandJP

Just fitted a X3 kit of door security locks and now they are in place I can see I need to reduce the gap between door and new lock. I cant see any information on the Fiamma website as to what you get in a single spacer kit so has anyone any idea? I may have to buy 3 spacer kits but dont wan't to do that if I can get away with one. 

For anyone with a similar requirement, Fiamma markets the "Safe Door" product in 'face mounting' or 'frame' versions (and in three colours) and as single items or as a 'kit' of three items (x 3).

https://fiammastore.com/product-category/security/door-security-locks/

The spacer 'kit' is shown here

https://fiammastore.com/product/fiamma-safe-door-spacer-kit/

The kit comprises a 'back-plate' that screws on to the lock and three 'spacers' that attach to the back-plate to reduce the distance between the closed lock and the surface of the door. (The more spacers fitted, the narrower the gap.) Even if only one spacer were required, the back-plate will still be necessary - so (as GandJP has said) it's one spacer kit per lock.

On 04/08/2023 at 13:06, GandJP said:

Just fitted a X3 kit of door security locks and now they are in place I can see I need to reduce the gap between door and new lock... 

I may be taking you too literally but the spacer kit is to reduce the space between the lock and the wall, not the door.  If you really want to reduce the space between the lock and the door this kit will only make it worse.

This YouTube video shows how a Fiamma "Safe Door" lock spacer kit is used to reduce an over-large gap between the outer surface of a closed habitation area entrance-door and the underside of the lock's 'extension' when that has been pivoted into its closed position.

Fiamma describes the kit's purpose as follows

To reduce the gap that may exist between the Safe Door and the body of the caravan or motorhome it is possible to purchase a kit containing one aluminium plate and 3x spaces 2mm each. Fits only on Safe Door made after 2007 and on Safe Door Magnum after 2010.

9 hours ago, Dave S said:

I may be taking you too literally but the spacer kit is to reduce the space between the lock and the wall, not the door.  If you really want to reduce the space between the lock and the door this kit will only make it worse.

I see now that from the video that the kit does actually reduce the space between the lock and the door.  I was misled by Fiamma's own description which says "Spacer Kit, if needed, is to reduce the space between Safe Door lock and wall of the vehicle".

I have one already fitted on my motorhome but do not feel that it adds much security.  Also, I am always worried that I will forget to unlock it and damage the door by opening if from inside, against the lock.

As far as I am concerned it is to deter anyone that might just think about breaking in as anyone who intends to will and thats a fact. I would not even think of having the lock in place at night and will lock it in the position that allows the door to be opened from the inside when I am using the van and will only actually use it when the vehicle is left alone on my drive. I can't see much damage being caused by just trying to open the door when it is place, surely the door only just cracks open? 

Edited by GandJP