Hobby t65 motorhome

Roy stone

Logically, if the dipstick shows 'full' (and it's the correct length dipstick and you are 'dipping' the motor following the guidance in your Citroen handbook!) then your engine's oil contents are correct.

There are quite a few motorhome forum discussions about the 'credibility' of the oil-level dashboard display of Peugeot Boxers and these should have relevance to your Citroen Relay/Jumper. This 2014 MHFacts thread is an example

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/check-oil-level-warning-on-dash.123948/

As your vehicle is only a couple of months old, I suggest you take this up with a Citroen agency that is familiar with current model Relays. There may be an issue with the oil-level sensors or the dashboard display, or there may be a 'magic' procedure needed to reset the dashboard readout.

If you are 100% confident that the dipstick reading is true, DO NOT ADD OIL to try to encourage the dashboard readout to match.

I am not familiar with the PSA engine, but have experienced an apparently  similar problem with the Ducato engine.  The following assumes that Derek's point regarding the correct dipstick has been addressed, and that his fault has not suddenly arisen against a background of earlier, coincident, level checks.

I had a general warning light come on after the first service.  In trying to get to the bottom of that problem I discovered that the position within the sump at which the dashboard indication measured the oil level was not the position at which the dipstick measured the oil level.

This meant that unless the vehicle was standing on (very!) level ground when checking oil level, one got two different indications.  The van was usually perked nose up on our drive, which had a modest slope.  I discovered that the level sensor for the dashboard indication was very close to the rear (transverse engine), or downhill, wall of the sump.

The dipstick on the other hand, was sited near the front of the engine.  (I don't know where it actually came out into the sump, but it from its position it seems improbable that it would have been sampling oil level at the rear of the engine.)

With the van nose up the "tilt" was sufficient to exaggerate the oil level in the vicinity of the sensor, while  slightly understating it in the (assumed) vicinity of the dipstick.

It transpired that the workshop had slightly over-filled the sump at the first service (verified by double-checking oil level on level ground (yes, I know!!  🙂), so the sensor was seeing what the ECU interpreted as a dangerously over-filled sump and accordingly raised the alarm via the general failure warning light.

OTOH, if the van was reversed up the drive the "tilt" was reversed, and the sensor was happy while the dipstick indicated (slightly) above the full mark.  (This was eventually rectified on Fiat's instruction (but at my cost!  😞) by re-calibrating the sensor to tolerate a higher oil level before going into panic mode!

The point of all this is whether it is possible the PSA engine has a similarly dotty relationship between oil level sensor position and dipstick position, and whether your van might also be standing slightly out of level when checking the oil?

So, it might be instructive to repeat the level checks with your van parked the other way round, to see if that makes a difference to what you see, and again with the van parked on a known level surface to see what results you then get.  If nothing changes you will at least know the problem isn't due to the van being out of level while you checked the oil level!

Of course, if your van was standing level during your checks the above is all irrelevant and I apologise for taking your time.  In that case, contact the supplying dealer and ask who did the PDI checks!  🙂

Archived