Oven/ Grill issue

soulman

Hi, as only recently taken delivery of my 2021 Rollerteam T590 I am working thru the controls etc on the drive of my home. I have a problem with the Thetford oven and grill. When trying to light either the oven or the grill. I turn on the gas bottle. Hold the knob in for 10/15 seconds then press ignite. Both will light and as long as I hold the knob in they will stay lit. As soon as I release the knob the flame goes out. I have tried many times holding the knob in from 10/15 second to over 60 seconds but no joy. Am I doing something wrong or is something cutting the gas off. The hob on the other hand is working as it should no probs.

Possibly a faulty flame failure device, frequently called a thermocouple, but depending on the type used this may not be technically correct.

As you do not seem to be aware of such devices, perhaps you should seek appropriate technical advice.

I think a 2021 Rollerteam T-590 will have a Thetford "Duplex" oven/grill and, if that's so - user instructions can be viewed here

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/640583/thetford-duplex.html?page=5

There are Thetford products where the hob and oven/grill are part of the same unit and in such cases, for the oven/grill to function, the hob's glass lid may need to be in its upright position. However, I believe a T-590's hob is a completely separate unit (and perhaps not even a Thetford product) and its operation should have no effect on the oven/grill.

The same issue was asked about here

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/appliance/h3trg-thetford-duplexoven-camper-won-t-stay.html

and - as Alan has advised - the thermocouple was considered the prime suspect.

Many thanks Derek that is spot on what is happening on my van. Will contact the dealer. The van should have been checked in that respect. thats a bit P#ss poor of the dealer considering the amount of money I have spent. Many thanks for your help Derek.

Try pushing the rod in it with the knob removed [push fit  / pull off].

I has a motorhome many years ago with the same problem from new. It turned out to be the knob was not pushing the rod far enough in to operate the thermocouple correctly. From what I remember all that was required was to pull the knob off and pack a bit of tissue inside it and refit it. 

When pressed in /down the base of the knob hits the oven panel. This can prevent the shaft going fully in. When the knob is packed out a little it does not go on the shaft so deep thus allowing the shaft to go in further.

Seems to be a not unusual problem with Thetford products. This 2020/2021 discussion relates to the same issue with a Caprice oven.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/149121-thetford-caprice-111-cooker-oven-won’t-stay-lit/

This link is to trouble-shooting advice for the Thetford "Duplex" product

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/content/pdf/thetford/Thetford Duplex Grill troubleshoot MK3.pdf

It mentions removing the control knob and using pliers on the knob's 'spindle' and - if the flame then stays lit - obtaining a replacement knob. This may suggest that Thetford acknowledged a design fault with the knob (hole too deep) and that there was a redesigned version, but even if that's so, the 'packing' method should be just as effective.

Hi Derek and Rayc, BINGO just tried packing out the knob and its all good and working as it should. Thank you very much for that tip. That has saved me a 2 hour round trip back to the dealer. These forums are brilliant. THANKS AGAIN.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Hi Derek and Rayc, BINGO just tried packing out the knob and its all good and working as it should. Thank you very much for that tip. That has saved me a 2 hour round trip back to the dealer. These forums are brilliant. THANKS AGAIN.

I remember it  now, my experience  was in a new Bailey caravan I bought in 1993!

On 08/08/2023 at 21:44, soulman said:

Hi, as only recently taken delivery of my 2021 Rollerteam T590 I am working thru the controls etc on the drive of my home. I have a problem with the Thetford oven and grill. When trying to light either the oven or the grill. I turn on the gas bottle. Hold the knob in for 10/15 seconds then press ignite. Both will light and as long as I hold the knob in they will stay lit. As soon as I release the knob the flame goes out. I have tried many times holding the knob in from 10/15 second to over 60 seconds but no joy. Am I doing something wrong or is something cutting the gas off. The hob on the other hand is working as it should no probs.

Have you tried lighting the grill, and part-closing the door whilst still pressing the knob in for 45 seconds or so?

works for us.

Marsco

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Thetford's advice for using the grill of their "Duplex" product is as follows:

image.png.36470837adcd23953b02047180bfaa6a.png

In soulman's case the solution was to pack the control-knob's 'spindle hole' slightly so that the knob could move further when depressed.

This effective 'fix' seems to be fairly well known, so - if you have a Thetford grill - you might try it. It really shouldn't be necessary to hold the control-knob in for more than 15 seconds, nor to have the door part-closed.

Having said that, leisure-vehicle grills can be strange beasts and I remember the Italian-made SMEV grill fitted to my first motorhome being very cantankerous about lighting. It eventually fell apart and, having had two wrong replacements sent from Italy, was finally repaired by a local welder.

Archived