Motorhome batteries

Philip M

My leisure battery failed while I was away on an off grid site the other day. It's always been well looked after, but it was sitting at 12.6 volts, and 2 hours later when I checked it showed 10.6 volts where fortunately it stayed for the next 18 hours until I could fit a replacement. A sudden drop of about 2 volts suggests to me that one cell had completely failed. I can't complain as the battery was eight years old.

This got me thinking as to whether I should replace the auto battery which is also eight years old. In common with most motorhomes the auto battery gets pretty light use and when it's not in use it's permanently connected to a Ctek 5 amp smart charger. So far I've not had any starting problems.

The new leisure battery is a Yuasa L35-115 and I note the its specifications claim 750 cranking amps and I wondered, if in the event of the auto battery failing at some point (probably in the middle of a field miles from anywhere) would this battery be able to to start a Peugeot 2.2 litre engine via jump leads.

Has anyone here tried anything like this?

19 hours ago, Philip M said:

...This got me thinking as to whether I should replace the auto battery which is also eight years old. In common with most motorhomes the auto battery gets pretty light use and when it's not in use it's permanently connected to a Ctek 5 amp smart charger. So far I've not had any starting problems...

I think the factory-fitted starter battery for a 2016 Elddis Accordo would have been made by FIAMM and, quite likely, the same one that was fitted to my 2015 Rapido.

In August 2020, as a precautionary measure, I replaced the Rapido's (Banner "Energy Bull") leisure battery with a Varta LFD90 and changed the (FIAMM) starter battery at the same time (replacement = Varta H3 Silver Dynamic). 

I disposed of the Banner battery (that had shown mild signs that it was starting to flag) but retained the FIAMM battery as a handy power source for my T-Max 12V tyre inflator.I sold the Rapido not long after, but the FIAMM battery (now approaching 9 years old) still lives in my garage. Although it rarely does any 'work' nowadays, it still holds charge well and rapidly charges up. (Whether it would start a motorhome's engine is another matter!)

Eight years is a good innings for a starter battery and - if you plan to keep your Elddis - the Wise Virgin policy would to replace it now rather than have it fail and rely on the Yuasa battery as a fall-back. (Best of luck doing that...)

You say that you have the starter battery on continuous charge, but do you keep an eye on the battery's electrolyte level? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

do you keep an eye on the battery's electrolyte level? 

yes thats worth a look if you can get to it on an old battery

Many lead acid batteries that are superficially 'sealed' actually have caps you can unscrew to check the levels - hidden under a label you can peel off to reveal the caps

It's the auto battery that I keep on a permanent smart charger as the van (Elddis Accordo) can trickle charge only the leisure battery. I don't leave the leisure battery on charge. I isolate it, and charge it from time to time to keep it in a healthy state.

The smart charger on the auto battery (Ctek MSX 5) I am using is specifically designed to be left permanently connected to a battery. Having gone through its initial charging cycle it holds a float charge for 10 days, after which it applies a pulse charge to keep the battery at 12.7 volts. I've been doing this for eight years, without trouble, so it seems work as its supposed to.

If the leisure battery would get me out of trouble in extremis, I am of a mind to leave the auto battery in place for the time being. My wife has on old 2CV which hasn't been used for the past five years or so. It must be over 20 years ago that I replaced the battery in that, but it still starts the car even when it takes quite a bit of turning over to get it to go.

1 hour ago, Philip M said:

If the leisure battery would get me out of trouble in extremis, I am of a mind to leave the auto battery in place for the time being. My wife has on old 2CV which hasn't been used for the past five years or so. It must be over 20 years ago that I replaced the battery in that, but it still starts the car even when it takes quite a bit of turning over to get it to go.

The long cranking time on the 2CV is because the fuel in the carb has evaporated over time (..takes about a month) or the diaphragm in the fuel pump is no longer very flexible. Best to run it for a few minutes every couple of weeks or so. I do that with mine.

Jeremy

Thanks Derek, My battery probably is the same as yours and does have top up plugs. I can only access one of them as the other five are at least partly obscured. However, I did check that one and the electrolyte is a good 15 mm above the plates. Since I haven't got a problem at the moment I'll settle that.

As for the 2CV which we bought new in 1988, I use a modified party balloon pump to pressurise the tank causing the petrol to be forced into the float chamber -  I'm a bit off topic here.

The batteries on our 2003 PVC are left nearly permanently on charge via the CBE CB516/DS520 combination.  Due to the blocking diode in the DS520, the starter battery sits about 0.6V lower than the CB516 output when charging.

The starter battery was changed at 10 years for a Varta H3, chosen for the CCA rating of 830A. The original battery survived a further two years on float charge before expiring.  The original habitation batteries had to be replaced at about 9yrs by two Banner Energy Bull leisure batteries, which were thirsty beasts. These Banner batteries were again replaced in 2002, by two ABS XD27 dual pupose batteries with a claimed capacity of 105Ah each, and a CCA of 1000A. No rate was quoted, so being aconfirmed sceptic I assumed C100, rather than C20. ( I had previously fitted ABS starter batteries to our lawn tractor, and found no cause for complaint.)

Our Saab 9-3 1.9TTid came used in late 2015, with a non original Yuasa 3096, as that was nearly 10 years old, I have  recently it with an ABS battery that has a claimed spec superior  to the Yuasa. CCA rating was again a prime consideration.

We previously owned a Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7TD.  We were carfully watching the battery, and were prepared to change it at any sign of trouble, when the starter motor failed.  The battery lasted until about 14 years old.

My current policy is to change starter batteries at 10 years. Habitation batteries when required, but more frequently than 10 yearly.

I agree with Spirou as to the suitability of Philip M's habitation battery for boosting purposes. Unfortunately if I needed to use one of my ABS XD27s in a similar role, I woud probably have to remove seat and turntable for access.

While the above is not strictly on topic, it is intended to illustrate what may be achieved.

Finally a warning note.  If attempting to make emergency use of the habitation battery in the above manner, perhaps best to fully isolate the battery.  This will ensure that starting currents will be unable to stray into the habitation electrics.

Very relevant to this thread. Went to the fuel station yesterday to fill up our old Saab 900 Mk2. Stopped at the pumps, wife got out to fill. I tried to get out- door locked? Turned ignition on ...Zilch! Nothing at all! Couldn't open the door so I was locked in car. Fortunately I had my window open so could pass key to my wife for her to manually unlock door and let me out. Battery purchased in 2016... so 7 years before a catastrophic failure. 

Had the window not been open and had there been a fire I would have been toast!

7 years for a battery!

(Fortunately there was a motor shop next to the filling station so new battery was purchased)

Hi Jeremy,

Are you sure there wasn't something nearby jamming the signal.

We had a house opposite us having a delivery from Wickes and my alarm and key fob wouldn't work until he had finished he was using his remote to unload bricks. also a garage near Oldbury in the West Midlands some cars on certain pumps could not be started unless moved away from the pump first as there was a high powered police repeater Ariel inside the garage sign.

Pete

1 hour ago, breakaleg said:

Hi Jeremy,

Are you sure there wasn't something nearby jamming the signal.

We had a house opposite us having a delivery from Wickes and my alarm and key fob wouldn't work until he had finished he was using his remote to unload bricks. also a garage near Oldbury in the West Midlands some cars on certain pumps could not be started unless moved away from the pump first as there was a high powered police repeater Ariel inside the garage sign.

Pete

Pete thanks for that ..... I doubt it? This is a 1995 Saab 900... A veritable Swedish Royal Barge ... The only signal it might recognise might be semaphore?!

Jeremy

From Alan B

Have you checked the charging voltage across the battery terminals?

Alan

.....And to Alan B thanks - Had no chance to check it and didn't have a multimeter. The Alternator light extinguished once started with the new battery so had to go with that. .... my wife was rushing off to Norfolk from here in the Marsh to see her 93 year old mother. She arrived no problems. I'll check it on her return later tonight.

Jeremy

20 hours ago, Alanb said:

Jeremy,

Yes, I was thinking of a charging fault causing battery failure, and was concerned for the survival of your replacement.

Alan

Just an update .. I checked the battery on my wife's return; with engine running reading about 14.4Volts, so alternator appears to be doing it's job.

I checked the old battery .... cells all filled correctly with liquid, reading 12.5V now and will not accept a charge from a trickle charger? At the time of the catastrophic event a test bulb took ages to glow up, but now no problem? Very odd? Perhaps it just had an off day!

Jeremy