Camper car park

wjts

I read that as wanting to add a Camping car icon onto the screen but may be wrong. I dont have an answer to that so didn't but as often happens here and on another forum I belong to folk never seem to come back let alone add any information. 

Edited by GandJP

If I remember well, Camping Car Park has a free App. You can also download a pdf (or something like that) with a list of areas with their data, coordinates included.

Up to you to extract them in some way, save as .csv file and upload to your Garmin satnav by Poi Loader.

Not easy and time consuming but as far as I know the only way.

Given that areas constantly increase, I find it quite useless.

16 hours ago, GandJP said:

I read that as wanting to add a Camping car icon onto the screen but may be wrong...

Garmin's advice for doing that is here

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Y9fsHOqDkO7WYOrXQOLtNA

I wouldn't expect 'non-camping' Garmin devices to include a camping-car as one of the icons, and I don't know if it's possible to hack a Garmin sat-nav to add custom vehicle icons.

Since a while I prepare and load my own POIs on Garmin satnav. First i make an excel file with (for any entry) longitude, latitude and description/comments (up to 128 characters). Then save it as .csv file with filename whatever you want (e.g. POI MAX.csv).

In parallel I prepare a 22x22 (or 24x24) .bmp icon. It must be saved with the same already used filename (e.g. POI MAX.bmp).

Both files must be put in one directory that for common sense I name POI MAX.

Finally I load them on the satnav by Poi Loader free program easily downloadable from Garmin site.

Max

p.s. similar procedure used for old tomtoms (.csv must first converted in tomtom proprietary .ov2). Icon and file to be loaded in the directory where map resides. NOT SURE if it works on recent tomtoms.

Hi

You can store them in your folders on your memory card but make sure you use all lower case in naming them ( p.s. similar procedure used for old tomtoms (.csv must first converted in tomtom proprietary .ov2). Icon and file to be loaded in the directory where map resides. NOT SURE if it works on recent tomtoms.)

Regards

Edited by onecal

The heading of this thread is "Camper car park", so it's fair to assume that it's data relating to the Camping-Car Park (CCP) network that wjts would like to load on to a Garmin sat-nav (rather than an icon showing a camper).

I am (still) a member of the CCP scheme and the information on the CCP website for each of their sites carries GPS coordinates (eg. 48.399464° -0.624411°) identifying the site's geographical location. 

https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/

And - for mobile devices - there are free Android, Apple or GOOGLE Play apps.

All of the above require internet connectivity and - as I said above - there is no inbuilt capability to 'batch download' the GPS coordinates so that they can easily be converted to POIs for loading on to a sat-nav.

Having said that, it MAY be possible to download the GPS information using the Camping-Car Parks entry on the searchforsites website.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/advanced.php?types=CCP&browse=true&

I assume that a standard Garmin is being used here rather than the "camper" version. I would imagine that if a CCP App was used on a smart phone, then the co-ordinates could be transferred from phone to nav, but surely using the App directly is the easiest way and Google or Waze for directions, subject to height and weight advice being available.

This 2017 MHFacts thread discussed POI downloads.

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/best-poi-download-sites.218697/

As I said above, to the best of my knowledge Camping-Car Parks does not offer members of the CCP scheme with a downloadable POI file. (I suppose I could ask the CCP staff if that's indeed the case, but as wjts (the original poster) seems to be a one-day-only forum visitor, I'm not going to bother.)

With some 450 sites in the CCP network, using mtravel's procedure it would be a major task to get the complete network on to a Garmin sat-nav. If a CCP POI file were available, I can see people wanting to do this, but - given the capabilities of the CCP app and website - I really cannot see the point.