Automatic transmission and levelling ramps

soulman

I've not had my Automatic Rollerteam T590 long. Getting on great driving it considering its the first Automatic I have driven. But is there a trick to get the vehicle up onto a set of Milenco ramps . No clutch control now. My mate says use the low setting but I dont have that .All i have is Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive or manual select of the gears. I tried the other day and really struggled. In the end I had to get a bit of a run up then jump on the brake , so not good. Fingers crossed on this one.  

It's just the same way as you get to Carnegie Hall......practice! Gentle acceleration and avoid the temptation to back off when it starts to move. A spotter outside is useful but they have to move their arm only when they want you to stop, avoiding a tentative up/down.

All I'd add to that is with any ramps and any transmission, drive straight up to the top of the ramp.  As crocs says, this needs a "banker" assisting with a clear (pre-rehearsed) manual stop signal (plus a good pair of lungs to shout "STOP" in case something momentarily intervenes - inquisitive wasps etc. can create some interesting hand signals 🙂).

Then do the levelling using the brakes as the van roll back.  Much easier (and kinder to the clutch with manual/robotised transmissions) than trying to drive up little by little - albeit with Milencos you may need to engage reverse and "nudge" the van out of each depression.

On 23/08/2023 at 21:11, soulman said:

I've not had my Automatic Rollerteam T590 long. Getting on great driving it considering its the first Automatic I have driven. But is there a trick to get the vehicle up onto a set of Milenco ramps . No clutch control now. My mate says use the low setting but I dont have that .All i have is Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive or manual select of the gears. I tried the other day and really struggled. In the end I had to get a bit of a run up then jump on the brake , so not good. Fingers crossed on this one.  

We have a large Hymer with automatic gearbox. We have the large Milenco ramps with with 3 steps/ grooves.

If we need to use the ramps, then the Mrs gets out and watches as I gently move onto the ramps. Usually the 2nd step suffices, just a hand held up to stop, is suffice. Just be patient and use very little right foot pressure on the accelerator. If you use too much power, then there is the chance you'll overshoot the ramp.

As others have stated, gently does it, and a bit of practice, and you'll soon master it.

My own method with the Comfortmatic was to drive up steady and slow whilst leaning out of the open drivers door to give me sight of the offside ramp (it’s more often the case that ramps are needed at the front) and at the point of correct levelling use the handbrake to hold the van.

David

Archived