A Class mpg

PCW

Not exactly the same, but to get the ball rolling, my 7 metre A class Hymer was sold at a plated 3500kg weight. It was 2016 (2015 model 2.3 Fiat) and I have kept a bit of a diary of visits and usage. It has consistently over 49,000 miles returned 28.5 mpg.

The van was up plated in 2018 to 3850 kg but this has made no difference at all to the mpg. Usage is in Ireland for about 30 nights per year on mostly A and B roads and about 60 nights in France and Northern Spain on again a mix of A and B roads with some motorway if required (but not through choice).

The vehicle is driven considerately and rarely exceeds 50 - 55 mph as we are in no rush to get places and shake the van to bits.

Davy

5000 miles per year @ 30 MPG = 757.66 litres @ £1.5 =  £1136.49

"                                @ 25 MPG = 909.2 Litres @ £1.5  =  £1363.8

Difference                                                                              = £227.31

Are you bothered?

John

19 hours ago, bounty hunter said:

5000 miles per year @ 30 MPG = 757.66 litres @ £1.5 =  £1136.49

"                                @ 25 MPG = 909.2 Litres @ £1.5  =  £1363.8

Difference                                                                              = £227.31

Are you bothered?

John

I'm bothered because I care about the environment we are leaving for the next generation

Thats why I feel despair when I see the Prime Minister taking private aircraft around the country for photo ops to announce things he could do just as well from Downing Street,

My compact A class [2.3/130] is actually better on fuel consumption than any previous coach-built, at around 29-31 mpg.

The previous vans have also been 2.3/130bhp models, and of a similar weight, where 25-27 mpg was the norm.

I don't like to dawdle too much - on good A roads 60mph, and on dual carriageways and motorways I'm happy doing 65/70mph

I do think the two previous Euro 4 motors were a bit more responsive than the current Euro 5+ which does seem to be geared [or mapped] slightly differently.

Either way, fuel consumption is only a portion of the costs involved in motorhoming.

So, whilst good fuel economy is obviously desirable [and I've certainly noticed the difference at the pumps] it's far more important to buy the right van to meet your needs. For example, I certainly wouldn't buy a coach-built just because it might be more economical than an A class, and compromise that choice - which is clearly my preference these days.

Hi , my motorhome is based on a Mercedes Benz and the dashboard readout is lt per 100km. Google will give me a conversion if I’m bothered. If it’s not too hilly or windy not too much of a hurry I can just about get 400miles out of the 70lt fuel tank.

Regards David 

Archived